Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Raptor 30 V2 Goes Flybarless

Ok, I decided to take the plunge and see how it turns out. I purchased a TracX Flybarless head and a Spektrum AR7200BX receiver. I put the head on tonight and it looks awesome. The receiver wont be in till Monday and it will probably take me the rest of the week to figure out how to program it. Hats off to KC36330 for all the help he gave me. Here is the head and what it looks like so far.

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks good!!! The 7200BX is a breeze to setup (as are any BeastX).
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yea!! I turned on the receiver and radio to see how it was going to do and I can already tell a difference in how it is going to respond.

I guess I need to find a button for the head too..
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys are a bad influence.

I am now thinking about doing this, too!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do it, do it, do it.....
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Does your swash ball need to be cleaned up?

I like the red, white and blue scheme on you bird.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post

Does your swash ball need to be cleaned up?

I like the red, white and blue scheme on you bird.
I had problems with the stock ball link ends that came with the head. They were so thick they rubbed on the lower swash, I had to change them out with the thin ones that came with the raptor. I had to run a 4-40 tap in them before screwing them on the links.

Just put another 3 flights on my FBL Raptor today between the rain, it's one sweet flier now.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, Yup it needs a good squirt of carburetor cleaner or some other de-greaser. I think I put some white lithium grease on it a while back, but I'll clean it up. I have those Mavrrik blades on both my Raptors

KC, thanks for the balllink tip, I did like you said and it worked like a charm.

I got a Align RCE-G66 governor I'm going to put on it (probably today) and a DX7s so if anyone has any tips on the channel setup I'd be most grateful.

I used four bubble levels to get my blades and swash at 0 pitch all around. I don't have a swash leveler big enough to fit on the shaft. I'm going to check and see how much pitch I get today.

If Fedex ran on Saturdays I would have the AR7200 today. Shipping says it is on the truck for delivery.

If anyone has any more tips on any thing don't hesitate to post it.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed that on some of the FBL mods for mCCPM some people are moving the Aileron links in a hole, question is do I need to move mine in also, I know it will give more torque, less servo stress, and less response (I'm a easy flyer not 3D)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

tr911,

The position of the balls on the servo arms (for both aileron and elevator) will be determined by the FBL unit and the linkage/geometry of the helicopter and the head.

Every time I have converted a machine to FBL (with the caveat that I have not yet done a Raptor), whether using V-Bar or BeastX, I have had to move the balls in on the servo arms in order to satisfy the control loop requirements for the FBL unit.

I think most of us have experienced this.

You should like the AR7200BX, by the way. I have been flying one for a couple of weeks now and it works beautifully.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Clem, does that mean if it looks like it is going to bind I need to move them in a hole?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

FedEx home does run on Saturday and that's how most companies ship to residential destinations these days (it's cheaper). on the ball link location, you most likely will have to move them in closer but the BeastX will tell you during setup if your current setup will work or not when you get to the 6 degree cyclic setting. (you either get the blue light or not and that tells you if you're good or need adjusting)

my Raptor has 32 degree of collective travel with the FBL head. i don't have a swash leveler at all, i just use a pitch gauge, zero it on the gyro deck, then with the collective at 50% sit the pitch gauge on top of the blade grip (or you can attach it depending on what type you have) then spin the head, adjust till you keep zero regardless of where the head is in the 360 degree of rotation, at that point the swash is level and zero pitch is set.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
tr911,

The position of the balls on the servo arms (for both aileron and elevator) will be determined by the FBL unit and the linkage/geometry of the helicopter and the head.

Every time I have converted a machine to FBL (with the caveat that I have not yet done a Raptor), whether using V-Bar or BeastX, I have had to move the balls in on the servo arms in order to satisfy the control loop requirements for the FBL unit.

I think most of us have experienced this. SNIP
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr911 View Post
Clem, does that mean if it looks like it is going to bind I need to move them in a hole?
I noticed he's offline so I'll give you some input if you don't mind.

Generally when converting a FB heli to FBL, the servo linkages need to be moved inward on the servo arms/wheels for more servo resolution. This is what Clem referred to as satisfying the "control loop".

As an example, when I converted the T-Rex 600N I had two years ago, the balls on the servo wheels needed to be move inward, from 14mm to 12mm. The same applied to the Velocity 50 I had last year. With the Titan X50 I'm building, the balls are 10mm out on the servo wheels, and they still need to be moved inward about 1mm for an optimal setup.

What you should do is not change anything at all, and do a trial run of the setup of the 7200BX. When you get to setup menu point "J", your results there will tell you if you need to change things around mechanically.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks KC and Bob.... I will wait till I get the receiver.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, I just remembered something. I sent a AR7000 with remote to Horizon Hobby and they sent me a new AR7010 w/ remote back. So, guess what... I don't have to buy a remote receiver cause I can use the one I have... Wooo Hoooo!! I think I have to have an adapter cable though.. I'll have to check and see.

After looking it over I don't think I will need a adapter cable It looks like it will plug directly up to the AR7200bx
Old 02-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I've never seen one of these in person, but that was my understanding about the satellite receivers - that they can be plugged into the 7200BX without an adapter.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I've never seen one of these in person, but that was my understanding about the satellite receivers - that they can be plugged into the 7200BX without an adapter."

That is correct!

The AR7200BX does not require the satellite adapter. There is a connector mounted between the servo connector that is the same as that found on any other Spektrum receiver that uses a satellite. The standard satellite cable/connector works fine.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

as mentioned the remote receiver connector is a direct fit, it's between the servo connectors and is recessed, make sure you get it fully seated, i mounted mine on the Raptor just in front of the collective arm, works great there.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

No receiver till monday... , but I got everything else ready. I put the governor in and tested the connectivity, I put it on the aux2 channel and it works, just got to figure out the adjustment while the governor is on. The little manual says at +100% I'm spose to get 2171 RPM's, For me that is about 300 too many so I'm gonna start at +80% thats spose to give me bout 1882 RPM's.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking bout moving my tailservo to the back. Is any one using one of these?

It was given to me from a Buddy. I've read a little about it. I'm using a DS620 servo so I know that will work.

KC, you had to move yours to get the double link on your pitch didn't you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in