BLHeli for SiLabs ESCs - Page 102 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #2021 (permalink)

Tip: Box.net is a great place to host files like that. It's small enough.

Has this been posted yet? Saw an ATMEL programming clip. Wonder if it hits the correct pins to allow for BLHeli flashing?

Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #2022 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Daryoon, thios is nice for Atmel but doesn´t fit the Silabs IC. The IC is much smaler and the contacts are different.
www.rc-tt.de
nimic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #2023 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default H E L P !

I get on all my ESCs an error:
"SN access error"
is it possible that I damaged my stick from an accedently short or wrong polarity?
or can that be from the new blheli v8?
omg I hope I havent destroyed the Silabs stick
Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #2024 (permalink)
Registered Users

Close BlHeli-Setup und remove stick and plug in again.
You should have a serial number left corner.

Beside of this, I only tested with WinXP....
Please switch to expert mode and save the log to *.tlg and post here.
Screen shot could help too...
Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #2025 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok here is a log with 2 or 3 connecting attemps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	358244  
Old 10-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #2026 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok:
1.The first attempt shows "invalid Target response"
So it is a proof: the Toolstick is present and connected successfully. But what is going wrong, is on the side from the Toolstick to the BESC, which is connected.
Usually, if no device is connected it shows "unknown device".
So, I assume, the first connect sequence to the BESC seems to have been ok somehow. But then something went wrong.

2. The second attempt shows "SN access errror"
I assume the stick seems to "hang" since step 1.

Might be You have bad contacts to the BESC, or the cables are too long.
You should keep them really short (<20cm).
The Silabs Toolstick is here very critical. (BTW: with the AVR solution cable length >0.5m are no problem, but don't forget the Toolstick is more than just a simple flash interface, but also a full debug interface solution)

BTW: Its easy to save the log file to "log.tlg" (saves the whole treeview with colors ...) using the menu of the log window. "Log"..."Save to file". It can be re-loaded later oder send to someone to analyze. Simply attach here as log.txt.
I attached an example. Simply rename to*.tlg and load into the log window.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Log.txt (11.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #2027 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's exciting that BLHELI support big Ampere ESC,So I can use it with my 450 heli.
I bought a skywalker 60A.But I'm not sure if it can be flashed with BLHELI.
Thanx a lot for Steffen's working
The following pic is the skywalker 60A.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02828.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	358896  
laonew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #2028 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laonew View Post
It's exciting that BLHELI support big Ampere ESC,So I can use it with my 450 heli.
I bought a skywalker 60A.But I'm not sure if it can be flashed with BLHELI.
Thanx a lot for Steffen's working
The following pic is the skywalker 60A.
I haven't looked at the skywalker 60A. But from looking at the 20A and the 40A, the code used on those is identical. So there is a good chance that the 60A is also the same, and that the 20A or 40A code will run perfectly on it. But there is of course also a risk that they have changed something
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #2029 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
I haven't looked at the skywalker 60A. But from looking at the 20A and the 40A, the code used on those is identical. So there is a good chance that the 60A is also the same, and that the 20A or 40A code will run perfectly on it. But there is of course also a risk that they have changed something
Okay,I'll flash the Skywalker 60A.
Thanx a lot.
Wait for my conclusion。
Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #2030 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Okay,I'll flash the Skywalker 60A.
Thanx a lot.
Wait for my conclusion。
Look forward to hearing
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #2031 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Look forward to hearing

It worked,Both Skywalker 40A&60A.
The soft startup is very good at first.But after about 2 seconds.It have a hard acceleration.I have set the Startup Acceleration lowest at 0.4.Would pls provide a lower parameter for the Startup Acceleration?It's important for a Larger heli.
Thanx,I would enjoy the governor with my 450 heli tomorrow.

Last edited by laonew; 10-20-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #2032 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

It's worked,Both Skywalker 40A&60A.
The soft startup is very good at first.But after about 2 seconds.It have a hard acceleration.I have set the Startup Acceleration lowest at 0.4.Would pls provide a lower parameter for the Startup Acceleration?It's important for a Larger heli.
Thanx,I would enjoy the governor with my 450 heli tomorrow.
Great that it worked. I believe there is room for improvement on startup in a larger heli. For the time being I think you should probably set startup power to minimum to keep current at an acceptable level.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #2033 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Great that it worked. I believe there is room for improvement on startup in a larger heli. For the time being I think you should probably set startup power to minimum to keep current at an acceptable level.
The startup power,startup RPM&Startup Acceleration are all seted with minimum parameter.
Maybe it's because of the heli without blade.I'll try it with blade tomorrow.
Thanx!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #2034 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
The startup power,startup RPM&Startup Acceleration are all seted with minimum parameter.
Maybe it's because of the heli without blade.I'll try it with blade tomorrow.
Thanx!
I think that's the culprit. If you set startup acceleration too low, stepper motor mode doesn't catch up throttle with whatever throttle signal (most likely have some kind of soft-start ramp up pattern) from your receiver or FBL controller.That's when the big jump of HS. Try raising startup acceleration to smoothly transition from stepper mode to throttle mode.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #2035 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys,
I have some (nob) questions to the BL Heli stuff, and would appreciate some answers before I continue tinkering on my helis (and maybe work on the wrong parts).

I follow this thread more or less since its start, fascinated by the results, but did not see any urgent need for me to flash ESCs myself.
I have several main ESCs in my mCP x (XP-7A and XP-12A) with converters (TheSteves, Zaunkoenig, Achim/4712s) which work perfectly for about a year now.
I do not yet fully understand this governer programming system anyway, and because I was more than happy with my main ESCs I did not see any reason only because of a little weight advantage to change those ESCs to flashed ones (never change a running system).

Additionally I received several tail ESCs from Steffen last winter (one Supermicro, one Walkera and several HK 5A), flashed with the old V2.2 BL Heli version.
Those tail ESCs also worked perfectly for me - and I had spares and so no need to flash any new ones.
I was/am very, very happy with Steffens stuff!

But now the Nano CP x is here, which I of course wanna to make BL - and Achim/4712 has finished his Robbe box, so I jumped on the Flash wagon and received the necessary stuff from 4712 (thanks again).
So far flashing with the 8.0 version seems to work fine - flashed several main and tail ESCs and the most difficult part for me seems to do proper soldering

Now to the problem/questions:
I have a mCP x with Spin 16300 main, XP-12A (converter) main ESC, and HK-5A v.2.2. tail ESC which is ultra strong and the tail works and holds perfectly (with Hawk 12000 and - nearly perfect - with HP03t 8500).
Because I wanted to go back from the upgrade mCP x frames - the CF parts break too often in my "heavy strong" mCP x for me - to stock frame with AstroidDesigns upgrades (cage, base plate and booms - much more durable than any upgrade frame), I saw the problem of the big HK 5A ESC on the backside of the mCP x board (not enough room for the ESC when using Astroid carbon cage).
Now I had the new 8.0 flashed tail ESCs so I removed the HK-5A and wanted to use one of those tiny ones placed on the front side of the board.

- I tried a XP-3A, but it did not work - ESC became hot, motor did not start (I had exchanged the mosfets before against better ones - probably I had made a mistake in soldering and this is the reason - but flashing had worked successfully with the new mosfets). Very likely my mistake - removed the ESC.

- Then I tried a flashed DP-3A; did not work either (but this was a quite old DP-3A with already "burned" contact points - flashing was possible, but probably this ESC is broken anyway).

- Yesterday I wanted to fly outside with this mCP x - so I flashed a Supermicro 3.5 A (did not exchange mosfets before), and mounted it to the mCP x with the Spin motor.
This ESC worked.

But when flying I noticed the tail (Hawk 12000) was far from perfect. I had huge tail blowouts when "banging" sticks. I could fly the heli, and also do nearly all the stuff possible when taking care in stick movements, ... doing it softly, but there was a big, big difference to the performance the tail had in this heli before.
The tail with the same motor had hold perfectly before when using the "old" HK 5A v.2.2. ESC.

So I would like to know where to search for the reason for this bad tail performance.
What are likely reasons:
- The weak Supermicro 3.5 A with weak mosfets?
or
- Did I do something wrong when flashing the ESC? (I did not change anything in the settings, used the file for "Supermicro tail").
I do not think soldering/wiring is the problem - this seems very ok and wiring also worked with the HK 5A ESC.

What do you think?
Better trying to use the upgraded XP-3A?
Trying also to exchange mosfets in Supermicro 3.5A?
Do I have to change something in settings when flashing the ESC?

Hope not to have to go back to the good old (but big) HK 5A v.2.2.

I also have now a quite new 2s mCP x which is a blast.
I run the tail with a HK 5A ESC on 1s and this tail (with a Hawk 12000 motor and RRC/Plantraco Prop) holds perfect (and if I say perfect, I mean perfect - IMO no improvement is possible; the heli makes 8200 rpm, is significantly stronger than the Spin 16300 mCP x, and I was VERY surprised about this perfect tail performance).
I ran this heli with a Turnigy Plush 10A main ESC and converter - it worked perfectly.
Now I have exchanged the ESC against a v.8.0 flashed Turnigy Plush 10A.
It still works perfectly - the only difference I see now:
Sometimes I have startup problems - either main or tailmotor works, but not both (sometimes), but after some rebindings or only throttle cut on/offs both motors work perfectly in the heli.
Do you know any reasons for the startup problems, do I have to change something in the recommended settings for the Turnigy 10A (I used the settings for main as given in the BL Heli software).

I do not dare to change the HK-5A v.2.2. ESC for tail in this 2s mCP x against a new flashed smaller one till I found the reasons for the bad performance of the Supermicro 3.5A in the (weaker) Spin 163000 ESC.

Hope you can help and answer my questions - and apologize in advance if some of those questions have already been aswered but burried in this huge thread.

Thanks,

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #2036 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have to try out different Blheli parameters. I use the Hawk 12000 with xp3a superfet on my 3s baby and have no problem, It holds and work perfectly. Here are my Blheli parameters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blheli hawk 12000.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	359250  
vadafer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #2037 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Vadafer,
I did not try the XP-3A so far (see above).

Do you think, the Supermicro could be too weak with "stock" fets and thats a reason for the poor performance?

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #2038 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
Thanks Vadafer,
I did not try the XP-3A so far (see above).

Do you think, the Supermicro could be too weak with "stock" fets and thats a reason for the poor performance?

Walter
Yes I think so. The supermicro has the worst stock mosfet out there
vadafer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #2039 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty late to the BLheli on main "party" but I hope everyone hasn't left to go flying and can offer some confirmation.

Been running it on tail though.

So just want to confirm I understand the power up sequence etc. This is for a XP3A BLheli V6.0 on main on a Nano cpx.

Firstly I don't have a toolstick but have stick programmed the tail esc's no problem. Tedious but easy.

If I were to run TX mode:
Power up heli with zero throttle,
Set top point in Norm to be my goal throttle for idle up flight (say 65) (so 0,inh,32, inh,65)
So power up with zero, raise throttle fully to this 65, drop back to zero > ready.
Flick to idle up (which would be flat 65 to match the 65) and fly

Correct? ...and if I did the above and had idle 2 at flat 70 and switched to this after doing the above 65 power up would the esc change as requested or not see any higher than 65?

Secondly pretty sure I want to run arm mode as I can then use the idle up curve for tail mix yep?
So if I were running arm mode... top throttle is saved by the esc and it then disregards idle up throttle curves in relation to main and uses them to deviate the tail "pre comp"
So..
Enable arm mode by stick programming.
Set norm as above 0,32,65
Power with thr zero, max throttle input in norm (65), zero throttle >fly in idle up
Play with idle up throttle curve keeping 100 at the ends for max tail and drop the centre value appropriately to achieve potentially a better tail. Hopefully this may reduce the slight nose left the Nano does as the pitch zeros at the top of an agressive climb.
Any point in an idle 2 curve at all?
...and can I tweak idle tail mix during a flight

Sorry for all the queries and I'm sure this has been covered.

First governed setup ever (in case it wasn't blatently obvious )

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #2040 (permalink)
Registered Users

For tx mode you just need to arm it, no need to match the IU value. Just make sure your IU is flat.

For TX arm use 0-19-19-19-x for normal, x will be your set HS. Use IU V-curves for tail pre comp. The 19's will alow low HS landings, once below 20% Th the gov quits and goes into a low power mode.

Sorry if I missed anything!
motoracer5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.