Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #1001 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default All 3,7 and 12A XP series esc are flashable!

My apologies and thanks to Dylan that has focused the issue.

I removed the adapter and I connected the ToolStick with 2,54mm spaced 3 pin plug and ... bang, flashed esc

Then, as Roffey said, there are no unflashable 3,7 and 12A XP series esc, but only bad wiring
liftbag is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #1002 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To all you silabs programmers out there. I am looking to setup a 2s xp-12a and I was curious what the logic high threshold is for the signal ESC input. I know on some of the PICs I have worked on it was pretty high at about 75% Vcc. I am hoping this is lower.

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Mega Stumbler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #1003 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The signal on XP 12A goes to the MPU input pin via a 270R resistor and the MPU input has a 5k1 pulldown. And the MPU has 0.8V and 2V thresholds. There should not be any issues with signal level.
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #1004 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
Looks OK but why not solder a plug/connector for future re-use, especially if it took you so much effort to solder the wires?

My tips to solder wires to tiny pads... Use the right size soldering iron tip and use small wires. Tin the pads on the board so they aren't flat any more but like little mountains. Tin the wire ends. Place each wire end on the "mountain top". Melt the solder on the wire end and remove iron quick. The melted solder on the wire will melt and stick to the mountain. Shouldn't be hard. Hot-glue the solder points so the wires won't wiggle lose the pad.
I'm trying to do a SUPER clean final install, so no plugs hanging off.

Fact is it wouldn't have been hard at all except my soldering iron tip is TOAST. It's a standard size tip first off (which I can work around fairly easily) but it's just roached. There's a huge chunk missing from the one side so heat isn't very consistant. I just need to buy a few new tips. I used the same exact method you described other than that. I tinned the pads more like mole hills than mountains though LOL. Didint want it to puddle because of the giant tip I'm using.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #1005 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
Can still be super clean with a small servo plug hot-glued to the ESC. I bet you'll end up soldering back the wires for reflash or change parameters in the future.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #1006 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post

Fact is it wouldn't have been hard at all except my soldering iron tip is TOAST. It's a standard size tip first off (which I can work around fairly easily) but it's just roached. There's a huge chunk missing from the one side so heat isn't very consistant. I just need to buy a few new tips. I used the same exact method you described other than that. I tinned the pads more like mole hills than mountains though LOL. Didint want it to puddle because of the giant tip I'm using.
I use a 0.2mm 45* T18 hakko tip. It allows you to use the point, or the side, great for micro stuff

Quote:
Can still be super clean with a small servo plug hot-glued to the ESC. I bet you'll end up soldering back the wires for reflash or change parameters in the future.
+1, I use the micro gold pin connectors that come with the esc as theflyingeagle's setup above. Placed in the bottom corner of the 3in1 can be programmed without removing the canopy Both servo taped under the esc is super clean too.. Programming port + BLHeliSetup = WIN.
izergfx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #1007 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I do my mCP X I'll no doubt add a connector but on the mSR X it's just running BLHeli tail. Kinda goober proof.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by izergfx View Post
+1, I use the micro gold pin connectors that come with the esc as theflyingeagle's setup above. Placed in the bottom corner of the 3in1 can be programmed without removing the canopy Both servo taped under the esc is super clean too.. Programming port + BLHeliSetup = WIN.

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #1009 (permalink)
Registered Users

Speaking of pics anyine got any of the mSR X board soldering points?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #1010 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneXman View Post

-Shane
Will be posting a build/info thread on it soon, with video
2S HP05S (rewound to WYE config = ~8000kv)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	316152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	316153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	316154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	316155  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #1011 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can someone please clarify the procedure for arming the tail esc. I am running the main in gov arm mode and it seem I am hit or miss in getting the tail motor spinning. Thanks.
Cujo22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #1012 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, mine always arms in sync with the main upon any throttle stick input above zero. Perhaps you have a subtrim/epa related issue? Since it is intermittent also check the signal wire, you don't want it to go out mid flight.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #1013 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is a VERY nice build. Good work! :-)

Might I suggest you post this up in the "Most ridiculous / no expense spared mCP X out there?" thread?

-Shane
Old 05-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #1014 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have my parts on order

Quick question, when they come, I plan on using the info in the 1st post of this thread to flash my XP12a.

However, I remember reading a few dozen pages back that some dude created a easy to use app to drag and drop the file for flashing? It seemed to have a bunch of sliders to adjust things? I think somebody mentioned its in one of the user's blogs? Can someone clarify for me?

Thank you.
avengedkevinfold is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #1015 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedkevinfold View Post
I have my parts on order

Quick question, when they come, I plan on using the info in the 1st post of this thread to flash my XP12a.

However, I remember reading a few dozen pages back that some dude created a easy to use app to drag and drop the file for flashing? It seemed to have a bunch of sliders to adjust things? I think somebody mentioned its in one of the user's blogs? Can someone clarify for me?

Thank you.
The software (windows only) is BlHeliSetup and you can grab it from 4712 blog page.

You can use the software to flash and to write your own setup in the esc. The software comes with latest .hex files for all supported escs (main and tail versions) within it, so you don't need to download the .hex files
Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #1016 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftbag View Post
The software (windows only) is BlHeliSetup and you can grad it from 4712 blog page.

You can use the software to flash and to write your own setup in the esc. The software comes with latest .hex files for all supported escs (main and tail versions) within it, so you don't need to download the .hex files
sskaug, can you please include a link to this on the 1st post so others can benefit from this as well without reading through 102 pages? haha
avengedkevinfold is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #1017 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Is this canopy supposed to sit this high? No wonder you can plug in the flash plugs without removing the canopy. Off-topic but is that an SBEC there with the big solenoid? Looks heavy.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #1018 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo22 View Post
Can someone please clarify the procedure for arming the tail esc. I am running the main in gov arm mode and it seem I am hit or miss in getting the tail motor spinning. Thanks.
Since tail ESC needs to see some throttle signal and back to zero, I arm both ESC by going a little right rudder and move throttle stick up while moving right rudder to full left rudder until throttle stick goes full up for main ESC govenor arm mode to read my desired throttle signal for governor mode headpeed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FI5iqDijJ0[/ame]
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #1019 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Is this canopy supposed to sit this high? No wonder you can plug in the flash plugs without removing the canopy. Off-topic but is that an SBEC there with the big solenoid? Looks heavy.
Yes, it's a Murata 6A switching dc/dc step-down converter.
It weighs 2,2 grams and you have no other options with XP-7A or XP-12A because of too low built-in linear bec max current, unless you switch to 2S brushless tail.

Quote:
Since tail ESC needs to see some throttle signal and back to zero, I arm both ESC by going a little right rudder and move throttle stick up while moving right rudder to full left rudder until throttle stick goes full up for main ESC govenor arm mode to read my desired throttle signal for governor mode headpeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FI5iqDijJ0
I don't use any rudder input to arm my full brushless mcpx in arm/gov mode.
In normal mode, I simply move the throttle stick to the desired position (half stick for low hs and full stick for high hs) and return to zero. Both escs are armed and ready to fly.
I have the option "Programming by TX" unchecked for tail esc in BlHeliSetup gui.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #1020 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftbag View Post
unless you switch to 2S brushless tail.
Paolo,

What do you mean by..."unless you switch to 2s brushless tail."?

If you switch to a 2s brushless tail you don't need the Murata 6A switching dc/dc step-down converter?

Please elaborate further if you would. Thanks!

-Shane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in