Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #1001 (permalink)
Registered Users

So after primarily flying my 550x I pulled out the 450 this morning to try some new moves. What a blast. With the Scorpion -6 motor and a new Castle Edge ESC (gov @2900) it is so easy to throw around the sky. Not worried about crashing it so I tried all sorts of new things.

Then it went south (doesn't it always). Lost tail control and it started to spin. I hit hold and let it go in. Fortunately it fell into some very tall brush and appears to have no damage. The tail went out because the belt was slipping and was obviously too lose. Other than that it seems ok.

That's the second crash in a row with no damage. On the previous one a ball joint popped off a cyclic, but I managed to auto it down with just a tad of grace (a muddy field help there too).

I think it's time to play the lottery...
dwelzel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #1002 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelzel View Post
So after primarily flying my 550x I pulled out the 450 this morning to try some new moves. What a blast. With the Scorpion -6 motor and a new Castle Edge ESC (gov @2900) it is so easy to throw around the sky. Not worried about crashing it so I tried all sorts of new things.

Then it went south (doesn't it always). Lost tail control and it started to spin. I hit hold and let it go in. Fortunately it fell into some very tall brush and appears to have no damage. The tail went out because the belt was slipping and was obviously too lose. Other than that it seems ok.

That's the second crash in a row with no damage. On the previous one a ball joint popped off a cyclic, but I managed to auto it down with just a tad of grace (a muddy field help there too).

I think it's time to play the lottery...
Wow! you were able to auto with a dead tail!?!

Buy me a scratch ticket too! Someone's looking out after you!
dragnse7en is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #1003 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post
You don't need tail control to auto.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #1004 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Buy me a scratch ticket too! Someone's looking out after you!
Autoing with no tail.. easy. Autoing with one dead cyclic... pretty much just luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #1005 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemp View Post
You don't need tail control to auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelzel View Post
Autoing with no tail.. easy. Autoing with one dead cyclic... pretty much just luck.
That's great to know guys. I've only auto-rotated in the Phoenix Sim. The guys I talk to online there say that it's much harder to do IRL though . . . .
Old 05-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #1006 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's great to know guys. I've only auto-rotated in the Phoenix Sim. The guys I talk to online there say that it's much harder to do IRL though . . . .
IMO, it's as easy in real life as the sim. Now, I only do it from a few feet up on landing. I haven't tried from very high.

I find, as do others I think, it is easier to land using an auto. If you try to land it idle up it is too twitchy and if you tip over it will be a disaster (do video it though because those make great videos). I used to flip back to normal mode for landing, but found the headspeed drop to be annoying.

Now I just kill it a few feet above the deck for the 450.. maybe 10 feet up for the 550.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #1007 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, you're braver than I am. I hear the timer go off, and I bolt to my landing site, do a 2 ft hover, and touch it softly down. The longest it takes is around 10 seconds.

Good to know though! I wanna give that OWB a workout!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: What did you do to your Blade 450X today?

oh boy...

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #1009 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Olson View Post
oh boy...

Uh oh - that doesn't sound good!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #1010 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry, just a response to how this thread seems to be going from "What did you do to your 450X today?" to "Whose is bigger than whose?".

Haven't been home long enough to fly and crash today, if that's what you meant.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #1011 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do to your Blade 450X today?

Had the better half mow a takeoff patch in my front field, she was ansy to get field and yard mowed...its been windy...I said after i get some Outdoor flying in, clouds building..
Got 3 minute flight in before the first shower, landed quickly, packed up all batteries for three of the birds and went in the house...
Then the shower stopped, wind kicked up...got 3 flights on the 450x, 1 hard to control one on my mcpx-BL...packed it up again...another shower.
Better half says, lets mow, shower stopped....resignation, o.k. Mowed 2 1/2 hours...wind still there, said phooey, I have spare parts.
Flew the 450x well over my south neighbors house, a bit away but the wind was coming in pretty brisk from his location, a flip covered a bit more distance than normal and across wind flips were spirals...on the bright side, other than using iu2 for landings due to the...uneven air flow rates hitting, one requiring near full collective briefly... Then a bit of thunder...time to quit.No damage!

Later in the evening, wind died down, the gusty conditions moved north where several locations received hail.. I finished out daylight with 2 smaller helis then went cycle (CanAm) shopping with my son... He wants something more comfortable...he's getting old. (36)...ha!

Good day, all helis came hone intact...now tomorrow.......all things subject to alteration...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #1012 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those tree crashes are great aren't they!

I ran my 450X into the only tree in a big paddock (very last circuit, last battery of the day and I had flown countless batteries there previously) and it was stuck up high for 20 minutes...had to climb quite high up the tree with a thick 15' long branch to poke it out of the top part of the tree so it would come down close enough to grab.

This crash prob cost me about around $150-180 as I burnt out two jammed MKS servos...which made me quite annoyed with myself!

My most spectacular was when my tail grip failed at 3650rpm inverted at about 80'.

The tail case exploded and jammed the belt which bent the boom up into the main rotor...the blades hit and parts sprayed...I thoughtfully hit TH...just in case ...and watched it fall thinking, maybe it won't be so bad...it hit a metal fence post/rail just before it hit...the heli gods sure wanted an appropriate sacrifice that day!

I put new bearings through the whole heli and it cost me all up about $110. I've clocked up hundreds of flights since on these bearings.

I break frames in about every second crash...cheap but a PITA to repair IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post
Smacked it into a tree just now, damn that tree, it has taunted me before - at least I claimed a few branches that I will now burn in the fireplace. Stuff I just ordered...

1 x BLH1651 Blade Main Gear Set (2) $9.25
1 x BLH4303 Blade Main Rotor Grip Flybarless Control Ball Set (2) (B450 X) $2.79
1 x BLH4381 Blade Phantom Canopy (B450 X) $14.49
1 x BLH1668A Blade Aluminum Tail Rotor Pitch Control Slider Set $11.99
1 x BLH1679 Blade Canopy Mount Set (2) $2.79
1 x BLH1639 Blade Main Frame Set $12.75
1 x BLH4301 Blade Flybarless Linkage Set (2) (B450 X) $4.59
1 x BLH1670A Blade Aluminum Tail Rotor Blade Grip Holder Set $18.99
1 x BLH1657 Blade Tail Boom Set (2) $7.29
2 x EFLRDS761 E-flite DS76 Gear Set $5.98
1 x BLH1669 Blade Aluminum Tail Rotor Hub Set $3.69

About $95 I didn't want to spend. Probably one of my most expensive crashes yet. I had a few spares already, was gonna replace plastic tail case with the aluminum one I had, so now I have a reason since the plastic one snapped. Guess I have an excuse to put in the 440 motor I have on the shelf too, the 420 I had in it can go to the wayside now. Have all the shafts, although first glance they might be alright. The main frame is the worst part.. nothing like taking EVERYTHING off.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #1013 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Scarier in real life - technically it's about the same if you're on a bigger bird. On a 450 IRL, it's quite difficult to do a clean auto.

Mini-autos (aka unpowered landings) aren't quite the same. That's a matter of landing before running off the remainder of the headspeed after cutting power. An auto as a full-scale pilot would understand that term involves storing up energy in the rotor during a (usually fast) unpowered descent which can then be used for a final flare just before landing. 450 class helis have small rotors and require a lot of head speed just to hover, so it's very difficult to store up sufficient energy. But not impossible.

I haven't flown for a couple days. My FBL converted 450 3d is giving me fits - I can't seem to get rid of a motor vibe, but it only shows up when the mount is tightened to the frame, so I'm not sure if it's the motor, the mount, or the frame. So that has me all depressed and I lost motivation to fly my 450X (which is running great.) Gonna charge up some batteries now and make sure I get my fix today.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #1014 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Scarier in real life - technically it's about the same if you're on a bigger bird. On a 450 IRL, it's quite difficult to do a clean auto.

Mini-autos (aka unpowered landings) aren't quite the same. That's a matter of landing before running off the remainder of the headspeed after cutting power. An auto as a full-scale pilot would understand that term involves storing up energy in the rotor during a (usually fast) unpowered descent which can then be used for a final flare just before landing. 450 class helis have small rotors and require a lot of head speed just to hover, so it's very difficult to store up sufficient energy. But not impossible.

I haven't flown for a couple days. My FBL converted 450 3d is giving me fits - I can't seem to get rid of a motor vibe, but it only shows up when the mount is tightened to the frame, so I'm not sure if it's the motor, the mount, or the frame. So that has me all depressed and I lost motivation to fly my 450X (which is running great.) Gonna charge up some batteries now and make sure I get my fix today.

I don't know what the 4503D motor mount looks like, but I'm assuming that they're the same thing. Maybe the pinion isn't seated right? I've seen that on r/c cars, and thank god they don't fly - at the worst, it can chew up the spur gear - but it make the spur wobble. You might want to check that out; maybe with a fresh pinion and main gear.

Anyways - What I did to my 450X today . . . .

I looked at it. And, then I blinked. Then I looked at it again, sad that I haven't flown it in almost a three days. It might rain later tonight. I'm taking my mCP X BL out 1st to "test the weather", and go from there. I hope to shanghai my upstairs neighbor to video me actually flying it. 32 flights so far with zero issues. Tomorrow I am supposed to get my Canomod lid, so I will be putting all the optional black parts on the tail and skids, and re-install them.

Stay tuned . . .
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #1015 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Mini-autos (aka unpowered landings) aren't quite the same. That's a matter of landing before running off the remainder of the headspeed after cutting power. An auto as a full-scale pilot would understand that term involves storing up energy in the rotor during a (usually fast) unpowered descent which can then be used for a final flare just before landing. 450 class helis have small rotors and require a lot of head speed just to hover, so it's very difficult to store up sufficient energy. But not impossible....
I just had one of these. I was just finishing up the 26th flight on my 450x and was coming in to land. I was still about 30' out and 15' in the air with a little forward momentum. Literally just as I was switching from IU2 back to normal mode the 450X starts making a heck of a racket (yup, you guessed it.. the pinion end motor bearing went south). Without thinking I immediately hit throttle hold and "glided" in for a landing in front of me. It was definitely more reactionary than on purpose so I'm not claiming any great accomplishment other than the 450x survived without a scratch. It wasn't until I attempted to flare and watched the headspeed dump off and plop in from 6" that I realized what I had just done. I bought a lottery ticket that day too but used up all my luck landing the 450X.

A phone call first thing in the morning to Horizon resulted in their typical excellent customer service and I had a new motor and main gear the next day. I have flown a dozen or so flights since without issue and, in case you are wondering, the new motor definitely got the Loctite treatment, which I should have done originally.

I fly with a couple of very proficient heli pilots and both always end their flights on their 700's with beautiful autos. One of my favorite maneuvers to watch.
r/cdawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #1016 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, I've read about that thread-lock mod on the motor before. With my 32nd flight, you guys think I should do it? How easy is it? I don't want to gum up that lower bearing . . . .
Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #1017 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

just got here....

Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #1018 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Olson View Post
just got here....

Way to go Ed - lookin' good there Mr. Olson!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #1019 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew 3 packs. Did not crash. I did have a pack die prematurely. I wasn't far from the ground though. I could hear it sagging and landed immediately. Not sure what the deal is with that pack yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using TapTalk 2
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #1020 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler View Post
Flew 3 packs. Did not crash. I did have a pack die prematurely. I wasn't far from the ground though. I could hear it sagging and landed immediately. Not sure what the deal is with that pack yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using TapTalk 2
How old are your packs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in