Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First crash. Was coming down to land, mostly calm except for fast, HARD gusts. One caught me about three feet up, jerked hard to the side, got confused and thought I saw it rolling right, so gave left aileron... but was going left. All she wrote.

Looks like almost a total loss as it was coming down on rough asphalt, and rolled while skidding about 5 feet.. almost faster to list the parts that DIDN'T break (thankfully the RX, airframe and motor among them).

Any advice on an iffy battery pack? One corner looks to have gone though the outer blue plastic (approx. 1mm hole, appears to have been tearing shear that did it rather than a puncture) but I can't see any indication that the foil inside was touched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
First crash. Was coming down to land, mostly calm except for fast, HARD gusts. One caught me about three feet up, jerked hard to the side, got confused and thought I saw it rolling right, so gave left aileron... but was going left. All she wrote.
Ouch. That sucks. I did that yesterday afternoon, but it was with one of my mCP Xs and over outfield grass.

Quote:
Any advice on an iffy battery pack? One corner looks to have gone though the outer blue plastic (approx. 1mm hole, appears to have been tearing shear that did it rather than a puncture) but I can't see any indication that the foil inside was touched.
It could very well be OK, but the better question is probably whether you're willing to risk a fire. If you want to segregate it somewhere safe; charge and use it separately from the rest of your packs; and watch for puffing, then go for it. A fire will certainly be more costly than a new battery pack, however.
Spektrum DX7s
GeneralAntilles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, eventually all packs are going to puff, right? And I just got this one to replace my original, that got killed by having the motor take a bite out. Already ticked off at the first one blowing $50 instantly (which is still in the quench as I type!).. with another replacement battery, going to bring the repair total over $200 pretty easily, if the LHS even has them.

The question now would be either how to check it and make sure it didn't get through the foil (as the hole is too small to see through, even with direct high intensity light), or how many charge/discharge cycles without puffing before it's able to be declared reasonably safe and flown.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Well, eventually all packs are going to puff, right? And I just got this one to replace my original, that got killed by having the motor take a bite out. Already ticked off at the first one blowing $50 instantly (which is still in the quench as I type!).. with another replacement battery, going to bring the repair total over $200 pretty easily, if the LHS even has them.

The question now would be either how to check it and make sure it didn't get through the foil (as the hole is too small to see through, even with direct high intensity light), or how many charge/discharge cycles without puffing before it's able to be declared reasonably safe and flown.
I hope you didn't spend $50 on an E-Flite battery. There are other battery that are just as good or better for less than $20 (Gens Ace, Sky Lipo).
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Thunder Power G6 65C 2250 batteries I got for mine were $55 I think. I certainly hope you didn't spend $50 on the stocker. I think the stocker is only like $30.
Kumba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was able to sqeeze in 3 bats this evening in addition to my other helis. The X is starting to "feel" a lot better. I left it completely stock and the sensitive rudder(in comparison to the 3D) took some getting used to. The increased responsiveness on cyclic, on the other hand, felt awesome from the start

Practiced a lot of inverted hovering today in preparation for more advanced 3D. Also did a lot of flips and rolls which are a piece of cake on the X. Love it.
JR X9503 2.4Ghz Turnigy 9X with Dragonlink
Manzooka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
I hope you didn't spend $50 on an E-Flite battery. There are other battery that are just as good or better for less than $20 (Gens Ace, Sky Lipo).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumba View Post
The Thunder Power G6 65C 2250 batteries I got for mine were $55 I think. I certainly hope you didn't spend $50 on the stocker. I think the stocker is only like $30.
Er... yes. Actually, $100 on two stockers, after killing the one that came with it. $20 would be much easier to swallow as far as a loss, and now I feel rather foolish.
Any links for these with the stock plug (as I stink at soldering, and wouldn't want to do so on a live battery anyway)? Putting in an order for my crash-fix parts and may as well jump on another 4-5 packs at $20-30 a pop at the same time.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Er... yes. Actually, $100 on two stockers, after killing the one that came with it. $20 would be much easier to swallow as far as a loss, and now I feel rather foolish.
Any links for these with the stock plug (as I stink at soldering, and wouldn't want to do so on a live battery anyway)? Putting in an order for my crash-fix parts and may as well jump on another 4-5 packs at $20-30 a pop at the same time.
The only packs that come with the stock EC3 connectors that I know of, are the Tenergy 2200mah ones, they are $30 a piece though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-11-1...item1e6bbe2069

AR90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Don't know of any that come with the stock EC3 other then the stocker. The Thunder Powers I have were just leads. The EC3s aren't that bad to solder like a deans. Just solder 1 pin, let cool, insert into connector, then work on the other pin. That way you cant possibly short them out. If you are worried about heat running down the wires then just take a damp (not soaking wet) paper towel and wrap it around the wires at the base of the battery. Instant heat-sink. Also is handy for cleaning the iron tip.

The only ones I've been able to find in the US are these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

If the webpage is accurate, or more likely if the manufacturer is consistent, then these batteries are around 20-grams heavier. I'd imagine they would be just fine for sport flying and such. Someone reported the weight of their stocker in another thread as 183 grams with connector. I can't find any gens-ace or sky lipos in stock in either 2200 or 2600 that is 30C+. Guess there was a run on them.

I read and am told good and bad things about nano-techs. So no clue if they are a good buy. Everyone seems to agree that GensAce are the best value in terms of price to performance and Thunder Powers are the best quality and performers. I have the stocker and two TP G6 65C lipos but am looking to expand my stockpile to at least 6. I'd like to get 30-minutes of flying time to make the trip to the field worth it.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a really good video on how to solder on EC3 connectors. Super easy.

http://www.maydayrc.com/neat-way-to-solder-ec3-plugs/

I have three of these Sky Lipo 30c packs and they are working out real well. $16.60 ea.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-2200mah-3s1p-111-30c.html

Also have a couple of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9394 $13.79

I just cut the connector off and solder on the EC3.
You can buy a whole pack of connector on ebay for $12-15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EC3-CONNECTO...#ht_523wt_1185
TDMModels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
Hi,

Just to post some facts FWIW.
-The MAP on the EFL battery is $44.99 (Local shops are free to discount more in store if they choose)
-For those with a LHS, that is delivered (shipped) and hopefully in stock near your home.
-Fully backed by HH.
-Genuine E-flite EC3 connector installed. (no soldering)
-If for instance, and cell were DOA (very rare in EFL).There should be little trouble having it replaced... It likely could be checked before leaving the store.
-It is an excellent battery... powerful and durable... Puffing is very rare.

Yes, there are cheaper batteries. There is also a value provided by the EFL solution.
Choice is not bad .

David
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Watched the dust layer get thicker. It's cold and damp outside.
jimmanyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
Yes, there are cheaper batteries. There is also a value provided by the EFL solution.
Choice is not bad .
The problem being that for one of the EFlite, you can buy three Turnigy packs. And destroying (or at least rendering one no-confidence) two EFlite packs within owning the heli two weeks leaves a bad taste at that price. $15-20 is much easier to swallow, especially for someone just stepping up from the nano-heli arena, where a pack was $7.
Not going to throw away the packs I have, but can't keep paying that once a week for a new pack (if the LHS even has them in stock... of which the closest that does is an hour's drive). And while it holds up to charge cycles, not sure 'durable' would be the word I'd use, from my personal experience so far... long-lasting maybe.

Good support only helps so much when it comes to batteries; if a pack one-third the price (and higher capacity, higher C rating) starts to puff, you chuck it and grab a new one, hands-down-no-sweat. The OEM one can actually become a debate on whether to risk charging/flying a potentially-damaged battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMModels View Post
Here's a really good video on how to solder on EC3 connectors. Super easy.
That does look pretty simple, though I think I'd probably tin the wire separately before going to make the joint.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thunder Power FTW, it will be cheaper than your turnigy after 1 year if you consider the warranty and quality of their packs, and you can charge them in 5 minutes if you have the right charging setup for it. Just a matter of paying a lil more upfront and save later, rather than trying to save a little upfront and end up spending more in the end. The stock Eflite lipo isn't bad so far. Never tried Gens though.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel880516 View Post
Thunder Power FTW, it will be cheaper than your turnigy after 1 year if you consider the warranty and quality of their packs, and you can charge them in 5 minutes if you have the right charging setup for it. Just a matter of paying a lil more upfront and save later, rather than trying to save a little upfront and end up spending more in the end.
What this guy said!

I've been using lipo batteries for over 10 years now, I've tried many many many brands and spent god knows how much on various batteries. There is a reason I use Thunder Power packs exclusively in all 450 and up helis.

On another note, the Eflite packs are good packs, great for a 450. We sell a TON of them at the hobby shop and see an extremely low amount of failures (that aren't a direct cause of the user).

As with ANY lipo, you NEED to treat them properly. If you don't, you're only throwing your money away. If you are going through a two packs in a week, it's very likely that you are doing something wrong. At that point, even if you spent 4 times the money on a pack and you treat it the same way, you're still going to damage it.
Thunder Power 65C LiPo & JR 12X
350Z_Al is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only problem I have with the E-Flite battery is that for $5-10 more I can get the Thunder Power battery and solder a connector onto it for $1. It definitely does fly different between the two. Based upon what I've read here I think the only other battery I might get as a less expensive "trainer" battery is the Gens Ace. Would primarily use it for orientation flights and maybe some sport flight. Basically when I am training myself to not suck

But since the E-Flite battery is out of stock at Horizon Hobby, along with the Gens Ace batteries everywhere else, I will just buy more Thunder Powers. Although I do have my reservations if paying 3x the price is really giving me 3x the battery value. Time will tell I guess.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Installed a set of 500E Pro skids that I had laying around on her last night

Sets it up a little higher and the stance is a lot better....the stock skids are about 110mm wide where as the 500 skids are about 150mm and they are a lot stiffer as well.

I would highly recommend this upgrade especially for beginners...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-05 15.13.37.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	305079   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-05 15.12.53.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	305080   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-05 15.12.06.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	305081  
Youthanasia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youthanasia View Post
Installed a set of 500E Pro skids that I had laying around on her last night

Sets it up a little higher and the stance is a lot better....the stock skids are about 110mm wide where as the 500 skids are about 150mm and they are a lot stiffer as well.

I would highly recommend this upgrade especially for beginners...
Cut the Skid Pipes down at the back, then slide them a bit farther back. It would look much better.

That is one of my complaints about the 450X is the almost spongey landing skids. I'm scared if I come down hard they'll break super easy. Hasn't happened, but I fear it.
Thunder Power 65C LiPo & JR 12X
350Z_Al is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Z_Al View Post
Cut the Skid Pipes down at the back, then slide them a bit farther back. It would look much better.

That is one of my complaints about the 450X is the almost spongey landing skids. I'm scared if I come down hard they'll break super easy. Hasn't happened, but I fear it.
Yea I noticed that after I posted the pics they do look to long will have to cut a couple inches off..

Blade makes some good flying heli's but the need to beef up the landing gear on them..Look at all the problems with the MCPX
Youthanasia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Z_Al View Post

Already happened to me once.. Came down a tad too hard and the landing gear is so spongy as well as the tail fin protector and so the tail blades caught the cement - caused it to spin around unbalanced and then ruined my nice blades.. Thats all that was damaged was the blades but still - sort of annoying.. I would like them to be much stiffer..
engler.mike@gmail.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in