New aeolus owner-I have a question - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > AHF Aeolus

AHF Aeolus AHF Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New aeolus owner-I have a question

Hey guys, I joined the club

I wanted to ask about the stock clutch bell, why one magnet? Is this not a good source of high frequency vibrations?

I have a gp750 gyro on here which I knew would be sketchy at best, but its all I have right now since the kds 800 gyro this thing comes with wouldn't even let me off the ground. The align holds alright paired with my ds650 servo, but I know its sensing some vibes since it has that intermittent tail jitter. So through checking my head I noticed that bell.

Nice heli so far though, still breaking in my ys 50st engine, but durring my last couple hovers its felt pretty good. Can't wait to dial it in and start flipping it around.

130x- apparently a good one. Mine just works crash after crash
RaymondJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fill the other hole with epoxy or similar , non metallic though .... see if it makes any difference..

That worked for me , mine's BeastX FBL .....
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: TSA 700N & G; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Peter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed response here, my bell only has one hole and it has a magnet in that hole. I'm looking for vibrations since my new gy701 still is wagging regardless of gain. I'll have to drop the motor and check my fan hub again and go from there.
I just thought perhaps that bell could be a culprit since I have been reading that people have had troubles from them. However, mine only has one hole, not two.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wagging ..

Hello,

What kind of wagging/ vibs do you have? Is your A50 3D the TT or the tail-belt version ?

If it's tail wagging, there are always some points to be checked, slightly varying inbetween TT- or belt-dirven tail systems.

Please let us know, in order to give you some hand,

Best Regards,
Oliver
Raptor30_V1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

One magnet as that is how many are required by most governors to determine headspeed. I doubt it's your problem. Even if your not running a gov maybe put a magnet in to be ultra cautious.

With my aeolus I found I had to lightly Velcro my gyro down on a good bit of cushioning to keep the vibes down. That was with the gp750 and a Spartan.

Luck mate...
dee cee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for the late response, the way it wags is like there is too much gain, but changing gyro gain doesn't do anything. Its got a quick side to side wag, and it kind of varies in severity, like how much it bounces back n fourth. However it wags consistently. Even in an auto rotation it does this.

It is the belt driven version. Thanks

Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I might be good here, my clutch ran out a mile. So I got an align clutch in there, my starter shaft had a wobble to. So I replaced that and rebuilt my tail to make sure my thrust washers weren't one of the ones with mis stamped "in/out"

I flew a couple times today, it was pretty solid. It had a slight twitch every here and there. But nothing! like before.

At any rate though I am interested in your tips for belt vs shaft driven tails.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail wagging ..

Hello again,

There are some points to check, when tail wagging occurs. I suggest the following priority for checking one thing at the time:

- mechanical tail control is sticky.. loosen all ball-links and check for the ball-links moving easely down the tail, include the tail-pitch-slider to check. If some ball-link is sticky, correct by the use of a ball-link-reamer. If the t-p-slider is sticky, put some oil on the tail-shaft or even sand it by use of very soft sand-paper ..

- gyro gain setting: fast forward flight and turn into a pretty sharp curve .. and your gyro system will let you know, if your gyro gain is setup to high (wu-wu-wu-wu-wu ) .. reduce gyro gain until effect disappears .. else increase gyro gain until effect appears and the reduce gyro gain slightly ..

- tail-belt tension: too much isn't that good, same applies if tail-belt has no tension at all. Vary the tail-tension and try to install a fixation for the tail-boom in the fuselage.

- Bad or defect servo gyro combination: if tail wag happens over time, most of the time simply the gyro pad got bad and dampening changed. Sometimes people install slow tail servos or setup for the wrong frequency and dead-band when programming the gyro ..

- check the tail-control throw, the tail-pitch-slider should do the max. throw on the tail-shaft w/o binding, re-setup your gyro if required ..

- TT: often the vertical shaft with the gears driving the TT have way to much play and moves up and down more than 0.5mm - check and correct using some washers ..

- gyro mounting: many people mount the gyro correctly and then .. either fix the cables to the gyro to close to the gyro (vibs) or far away having lots of mass (cable) stirring around and influencing the gyros reading .. does the gyro cable have some unwanted contact to canopy or similar ?

- engine carb tuning: mainly a rich carb setting will lead to some tail-wag ..

- some bad runout on the tail-shaft and sometimes even on the main rotor can cause some wags ..

- tail-blades still ok ?

Following this points, normally almost all problems can be fixed. Give it a try, step-by-step.

Best Regards,
Oliver
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much Oliver, that was a great list of tips. The two I will need to look at is belt tension, and possibly my gyro cord.

She's hanging a little far and I can see now that you mention it, that it would wiggle pretty easily. Otherwise tails blades are good, they're edge tail blades which I tried on my raptor with no problems. Linkages are silky smooth, I sized all my ball links and worked out any stiff tail pitch slider components.
Gain appears good, no wa-waas durring high speed flight.

Rich running conditions could have played a roll since I was breaking in my ys engine.
Its getting there! I had one good mellow flight, then refilled and pushed it a bit No strange conditions.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default gyro cabling ..

Hello Chronic,

Hope everything works now?

People always smile, when you tell them to take a closer look to the cabling going into a gyro or even fbl-system.

A cable might only have a little mass of half to a few gramms, inbetween the gyro and the first cable-fixation.. this little mass can be shaken around easely by a few g's and moving the gyro around (unwanted), telling the gyro that the bird made some movements, meanwhile only the (too) long cable messed around.

Sometimes the cabling I saw even touched the canopy etc. which is not ideal neither ..

Best Regards,
Oliver

P.S: To find out, whether some cable or servo horn touches with the canopy simply take a look inside a canopy .. normally black plastic/ rubber parts in touch with the canopy will lead to black traces inside the canopy ..
Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Take that gyro off the tail! any wear in those bearings will make the whole plastic mount slightly vibrate, I have mine in the little nook underneath the canopy rubber spacers. It protects it too there. just route wires over top of it. I've had no issues and have it mounted with thin solid hard 3M tape. I also put a fourth tail control guide to stiffen it all up, works great!

hope that helped!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.