Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default CAUTION: Governer arm mode and LVC

One important note for those running "Governer Arm mode". LVC from the 3-in-1 board will not run smoothly because ESC doesn't respond to reduced throttle in this mode when LVC is triggered by the 3-in-1 board and ESC will continue to run governed headspeed until LVC continues to drop throttle to zero and the bird suddenly drops out of the sky. I was doing some testing of the "Governer Arm mode" indoor over my bed when I lost track of how many minutes I've been testing on that one battery. When LVC kicked in, there was no indication of reduced power until LVC dropped throttle to zero and the bird fell straight down. Luckily it fell on my bed and no damage was resulted. I have LVC on the ESC set to 3.0V default. I'll set it higher and see if it'll take precedence of 3-in-1 LVC.

Since governer mode works so well to maintain headspeed (if you run enough headroom), you'll never notice any slight power drop when battery charge depleted until it's too late. Also, it's harder to estimate flight time with governer mode because it "saves" power when you're not doing hard maneuver meaning you can get by with bumping up timer if you don't do hard maneuver the entire flight (e.g. I can fly 8 mintues with hp05s/8T and Hyperion 550 with flips, tic-tocs and sport flying). Perhaps from now on I set flight timer for full throttle flight time and determine flight-by-flight whether I should fly a little bit more if I didn't push it the entire flight.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

for me, I do notice the lack of power when it's about to hit LVC. It happened to me couple of times when I forget to reset my timer. I was able to land it safely but I do see what you mean though.
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've looked at the code a little bit and it seems in Arm Mode, it checks for no brushed motor signal pulse and shuts down armed headspeed. There's no smooth transition between when brushed motor signal pulse goes below certain threshold and switches out of Arm Mode into straight throttle mode.

I'm thinking maybe add a programmable threshold throttle value below which Arm mode is disabled and then ESC runs in TX mode. This will fix LVC issue and jerky start in Arm mode because factory soft-start and factory LVC work very well in TX mode but not Arm mode. But then, realistic V-throttle curve can get down to 20% throttle so a threshold throttle value of 20% may not do any good. Or perhaps just add a more gradual Arm mode activation and stop sequence?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It seems to be a reason to use the TX mode.
I haven't use the arm mode myself, can any one help me understand
what is the advantage of Arm mod over the TX mod given flat throttle curve?
coredump is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=13 and/or https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=406771

BLHeli with locator beacon now!
honkytown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the great link. I understand now. The arm mode is just program the tail esc throttle curve according to pitch. Great idea.
MCPX stock DIY firmware (Experimental)
coredump is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1st park fly today with my new brushless tail setup. Stopped to fiddle with TX settings and somehow my flight timer was late. LVC of the 3-in-1 board was triggered but governer arm mode ignored reduced throttle until LVC slowly dropped throttle to zero and the bird suddenly fell out of the sky. And there was aboslutely no hint of reduced power even right before LVC kicked in.

mCPx Dual-Brushless Governer Arm mode V-curve, LVC, etc. (7 min 31 sec)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
1st park fly today with my new brushless tail setup. Stopped to fiddle with TX settings and somehow my flight timer was late. LVC of the 3-in-1 board was triggered but governer arm mode ignored reduced throttle until LVC slowly dropped throttle to zero and the bird suddenly fell out of the sky. And there was aboslutely no hint of reduced power even right before LVC kicked in.

Click here to go directly to LVC scene
The low voltage limiting of BLHeli works also in arm mode. Probably the reason you see this, is that the BLHeli limit is too close to the 3in1 limit, so the 3in1 cuts off even if BLHeli is limiting. Have you tried raising the BLHeli LVL to 3.3V?
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, I haven't. Seems like with the hp07 setup, factory 3-in-1 is triggered too aggressively so I never thought about raising ESC's LVC. Now that you mention it and I think again, setting ESC's LVC to 3.3V may not be that bad. It may not be triggered any much earlier than 3-in-1's. I'll try that next.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys,

I am experience this problem with mini cp and C05M 13500KV and oversky 10A.

I have tried all the settings in BLHELI and I am not able to start the motor when in BLHELI is set the LOW VOLTAGE LIMITER. It moves but does not spin...

In my opinion it looks like the C05M 13500 is draining too much power during the startup and the ESC stops the motor...

When setting the Low voltage limiter on BLHELI i have no problems my heli starts flying without any problem but after some minutes it falls like a potato i guess the LVC from the 3in1.

Does anybody has experience this and has any idea how to fix it ?

Cheers,
lyndros is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

@lyndros

it's sounds to me your batteries are worn out, im flying the c05m 13500kv with 240/300mah batteries for 3:30-4:30 until LVC kicks in with 3.2V settings on the "low voltage limiter"

BLHeli with locator beacon now!
honkytown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndros View Post
Hi Guys,

I am experience this problem with mini cp and C05M 13500KV and oversky 10A.

I have tried all the settings in BLHELI and I am not able to start the motor when in BLHELI is set the LOW VOLTAGE LIMITER. It moves but does not spin...

In my opinion it looks like the C05M 13500 is draining too much power during the startup and the ESC stops the motor...

When setting the Low voltage limiter on BLHELI i have no problems my heli starts flying without any problem but after some minutes it falls like a potato i guess the LVC from the 3in1.

Does anybody has experience this and has any idea how to fix it ?

Cheers,
Not the same problem. My LVC never triggers too soon in flight like in your case. My problem was when the stock LVC was triggered (which hardly occurred if I had my timer working and I didn't ignore it), Gov Arm mode (or Gov Setup mode) ignored the start of LVC throttle ramp down until throttle ramps down to 20% and that's too late for me to notice.

Your problem is somehow your setup has LVC triggered too soon in flight. Sounds like your battery is bad as honkytown said.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
Not the same problem. My LVC never triggers too soon in flight like in your case. My problem was when the stock LVC was triggered (which hardly occurred if I had my timer working and I didn't ignore it), Gov Arm mode (or Gov Setup mode) ignored the start of LVC throttle ramp down until throttle ramps down to 20% and that's too late for me to notice.

Your problem is somehow your setup has LVC triggered too soon in flight. Sounds like your battery is bad as honkytown said.
Thank you very much guys but I already tried with several new batteries, I have lots of new batteries 400 mah, 240mah and even 600mah and no luck... even I tried with a second mini cp receiver... same issue...

Any other idea?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CAUTION: Governer arm mode and LVC

My v2 does the same thing in setup mode. Flying for 2 1/2 minutes then it just shuts off, no power loss. My v1 will fly another minute and a half with the same battery's and setup and I will note head speed dropping and land right away. It makes perfect sense that the governor will keep head speed constant no matter throttle position until 3-1 says ok, voltage is too low shut it down.
IamProStreet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is happening to my bird as of late. Time for new batteries.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
My v2 does the same thing in setup mode. Flying for 2 1/2 minutes then it just shuts off, no power loss. My v1 will fly another minute and a half with the same battery's and setup and I will note head speed dropping and land right away. It makes perfect sense that the governor will keep head speed constant no matter throttle position until 3-1 says ok, voltage is too low shut it down.
Again, LVC kicks in short flight time has absolutely nothing to do with what the problem I mention on this thread and is a totally different problem. If your LVC kicks in 2.5min where you expect 4min or more, it doesn't matter if you're in gov mode or not. LVC should not have kicked in before 3min, period.

The problem I mention here is that if I accidentally ignore timer and fly say 2min beyond timer then LVC kicks in (where it should) but because of gov arm mode or gov setup mode, BLHeli doesn't gradually reduce throttle as soon as LVC kicks, but until LVC sequence gets to the final 20% throttle range. Totally different problem.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
This is happening to my bird as of late. Time for new batteries.
Already tried with a completely new battery as soon as I set in BLHELI the LVC to 3.0 (i.e) the motor spins a bit but suddenly stop, so I am completely lost...

Any other idea?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Since your problem is totally different than what I suggested in here, please continue discussion on the main thread:
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...postcount=2489

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in