Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Problem with aluminum tail slider..

First off, thanks for taking some time...

I purchased an aluminum tail slider assembly a while back after the original plastic slider eventually wore itself to bits. But now after about 30 flights I am noticing a problem. the two metal "pegs" are digging into and gouging the aluminum cylindrical slider. what is causing this? what sort of lube should be applied to this area, if any?

thanks again guys. I figure for a 15$ part it would last a bit longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail slider.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	322380  
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same setup on the tail, it looks like you need to back the two little locating screws off a little ....it sounds like they are too tight and binding .... they are only meant to sit in the groove of the slider and it should spin freely, i use silicon greese on mine. and it's been no problem.
Soleman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleman View Post
I have the same setup on the tail, it looks like you need to back the two little locating screws off a little ....it sounds like they are too tight and binding .... they are only meant to sit in the groove of the slider and it should spin freely, i use silicon greese on mine. and it's been no problem.

As far as I can see, the slider "Pegs" or locators as you called them are not adjustable. they are pressed into the aluminum pivot / servo arm assembly. the original plastic assembly had threaded screws.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleman View Post
unfortunately, the locating screws on the "hopup" aluminum tail rotor pitch level is not adjustable (correct me if I'm wrong).

Relisys190 beat me to it.
nbisme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
As far as I can see, the slider "Pegs" or locators as you called them are not adjustable. they are pressed into the aluminum pivot / servo arm assembly. the original plastic assembly had threaded screws.

Have a look at this thread it has some great photo's and a full assebly how to...it may help you with yours.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=122224
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbisme View Post
unfortunately, the locating screws on the "hopup" aluminum tail rotor pitch level is not adjustable (correct me if I'm wrong).

Relisys190 beat me to it.

Yea .... My Bad, On closer inspection they don't look like they are adjustable.... apparently it's all in the assembly, if you over tighten on one side more than the other then it can case binding.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello

This kind of ware has troubled me since I first started flying. Although I have not encountered
anything like you are describing, I'm always on the lookout for problems like this in my own helicopter.

Is the inner bearing seized or bound in some way?
Even if the pins are a little tight. I would think the bearing would spin and the pins would not eat away the outer guide like that.

I'd replace the assembly and if necessary dress the pins on the new unit with a small file
so there is no binding at all. a small amount of silicone may be in order as well.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
This kind of ware has troubled me since I first started flying. Although I have not encountered
anything like you are describing, I'm always on the lookout for problems like this in my own helicopter.

Is the inner bearing seized or bound in some way?
Even if the pins are a little tight. I would think the bearing would spin and the pins would not eat away the outer guide like that.

I'd replace the assembly and if necessary dress the pins on the new unit with a small file
so there is no binding at all. a small amount of silicone may be in order as well.

The inner bearing spins freely with no binding.. And the "race" or outer section that has formed some deep grooves also spins freely, I just don't get it, ovbiously when there is any pitch added to the tail, the locator pins are just gouging their race/guide. , the same thing happened with the plastic unit, thus why I upgraded to the aluminum version.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are your tail grips smooth when they rotate? looks like maybe the pitch control slider is encountering some resistance. Also check your endpoints to make sure you don't have any servo bind. Remove the pitch control lever and cycle the control slider by hand and see how it feels
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello again

I purchased a set of carbon fiber blades the other day. When I asked about CF tail rotor blades I was advised to stay with plastic tail rotor blades as they flex and do not tend to over load the tail rotor assembly. I see your not flying stock tail rotor blades.

Any chance this could be where the problem lies?
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in