Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default vids

bob thank you for the vids id have no idea on how to do any of this really not the type of guy to read a book for a few days lol and get it
ballwall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

The video's are great, just picked up a TREX 600 basic kit the other day. Havent started it yet.
sadams7144 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #123 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quick vid just posted

I just like a throttle cut switch and didn't like the way the DX7 uses the trim and throttle recovery to cut your nitro engine. So I figured out a way to set up custom mix and make a throttle cut switch. I added the vid to the list on the first post.

Enjoy,
Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great videos Bob! Is there anything different about setting up a Aerospire Multigov as apposed to the ATG? Would you consider doing a video of a multigov set up?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #125 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

If i had a multigov I would do one but I dont!

Bob
Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #126 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK Curtis ATG setup vids are done and posted.

bob
Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob, about 6 minutes through the second part of the ATG video, you start explaining something, and it cuts you off.
Mudsurfer1234 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #128 (permalink)

I'm just finishing up the assembly which seats the hex starter when starting up the Heli (bottom part of Page 9 of the manual). Bob suggests using shoe goop? to hold the 2 bearings in their plastic enclosure, although there seems to be no similar instruction in the manual. I have a couple of related questions...

1. Is this strictly necessary? What's the drawback of not gluing these bearings to the plastic shroud?

2. If I can't find Shoe Goop? what general class of adhesives should I be looking for? Alternate brands?

Thanks in advance,
Colin
csmheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Govenor

Just got a TREX600 N Plan on using a Spectrum radio. Is it a good thing to have a gov on system, new to heli's, or is this something I will need down the road as i learn ? Also what is Shoe goo ? What type of grease is best to use ?

Steve
Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #130 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsurfer1234 View Post
Bob, about 6 minutes through the second part of the ATG video, you start explaining something, and it cuts you off.
Dang your right! I will fix that in a few minutes.

As for the show goop... You can use rubber or contect cement. You dont have to do this but I would. The idea is you dont want the bearings to pin in the plastic housings. If they do it will melt them.

Bob
Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #131 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK ATG part 2 video is fixed.

Bob
Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob, another awesome video, thanks.

I just watched the throttle servo video. Throttle servos have always been a pain in the a$$ to me. This video helps clear up many questions, and includes many hints that I've learned and read.

Here's one more hint for everyone. With a futaba 4 star servo horn, instead of looking at the point that should be 90 deg to the link, I just set it up so that the "top" point and "bottom" point make a straight line to the throttle pivot. I take a flybar and lay it across and try different positions untill the servo horn lines up perfectly. Does that make sense?

Also one question, you said you didn't have to change the endpoints at all from 100 and 100 for full throttle and idle. But if you have the throttle barrel in the center at mid stick, since full throttle lines up perfectly at 100, and since you don't want the lines to line up exactly at idle because the engine would quit, then wouldn't you be forced to set the low endpoint to some number less than 100?
Rockohaulic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotta tell ya Bob I owe you and Heli Freak alot. I live in an area where their aren't any heli pilots within 145 miles so I almost gave up on trying to learn the heli setup as well as radio setup. But after taking a class with Todd Bennett and now comming to Heli Freak I just can't go wrong. I know pretty much how to setup both the Heli and radio. My flying is improving as well. Thanks to all here who help. Be sure I will pass on what I have learned.

Bill
burke.bill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

R: I was thinking the same until I tested my installation. Then the penny dropped.

Setting mid-throttle to mid-barrel with the right length servo horn (90degree gemotry, trim neutral, and subtrim as near neutral as possible) ensures that high-throttle gives you a fully open carburetor, and low-throttle gives you an almost closed carburetor, which lets your engine idle nicely.

The fully closed carburetor position occurs after(below) low-throttle (a few more degrees clockwise).

I've really enjoyed this build, my 1st rc heli. Bob and Mercuriell sure are good company to have around, straight talking common sense advice based on proven experience; cheers mates.

Mac
DbyMA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post

Also one question, you said you didn't have to change the endpoints at all from 100 and 100 for full throttle and idle. But if you have the throttle barrel in the center at mid stick, since full throttle lines up perfectly at 100, and since you don't want the lines to line up exactly at idle because the engine would quit, then wouldn't you be forced to set the low endpoint to some number less than 100?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbyMA View Post

R: I was thinking the same until I tested my installation. Then the penny dropped.

Setting mid-throttle to mid-barrel with the right length servo horn (90degree gemotry, trim neutral, and subtrim as near neutral as possible) ensures that high-throttle gives you a fully open carburetor, and low-throttle gives you an almost closed carburetor, which lets your engine idle nicely.

The fully closed carburetor position occurs after(below) low-throttle (a few more degrees clockwise).

Mac
I too was thinking the same so thanks for clearing that up.

RC budget, 100 per week, time spent building and flying, priceless!
fury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finless,

Is there a way to disable the ATG gov with an additional switch for all 3 flight modes? Before watching your video I was able to setup 2 RPM's on st1 and st2, leaving normal mode Gov disabled which functions with aux2 switch high and when I put aux2 switch low it disables the gov in all 3 Fmodes....
I did this by using 3 mixes and initially setting aux2 to aux2 NOT Fmode. Thing is, I like your tip to create 1 more mix to cut the throttle but dont have 4 mixes.
So

just trying to see if it is possible to use your setup but go 1 step further and be able to disable the Gov on all 3 fmodes by flipping 1 switch like ( aux2).

Do you see a benefit to be able to disable the Gov in all 3 fmodes tied to the aux2 switch? Might be nice to be able to tweak your throttle curves? just not sure it can be done with only 3 mixes?
528hemi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #137 (permalink)

Default ahother 600N takes to the air !!

thanks bob for all your help. my first ever glow anything fired right up and hovered through it's first tank of fuel tonite !! the 600N is so much lighter than my 600E ( which I'm selling because I'm tired of flying 7min's and waiting over an hour to fly again) cant wait to get to motor broke in.
newflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a TREX600N, with a OS 50, DX7 401 gyro, Thunder Tiger muffler, are your video build set-ups good for a beginner ? They are great, havent started kit yet. Any other things I can add to help learn ? What is the item that is used to light glow plug for 15 sec and regulate battery use that I can put on the heli ? Do I need a pitchgauge to set-up heli ?
Should i put gov on machine , if so which one is good ?

Steve Adams
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #139 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Folks.... these questions NEED to be asked on the Trex 600 Nitro forum here:

https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

My forum is for my build videos and to ask questions ABOUT them! I dont mind you asking NEWB questions here but they may go unanswered... If you post these beginner questions on the Trex600n forum you will get LOTS of help!

OK?

Bob
Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #140 (permalink)

Bob - more videos please!!!!! My 600N needs you!!!!

I finally caught up and have my build at the same place you're at. As much as I know I could follow the instruction manual and put the tail together, I'm sure it'd go much smoother and be of much higher quality if I had your completely invaluable video advice. Stop holding out! :p

Thanks for all your virtual help!
C
csmheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in