Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120sr TAIL WIRE DRAWING TO MUCH POWER

My mcpx has been collecting dust the past few months, after becoming frustrated with the tiny wires. I went back to my b400, the past 2 wks I've been waiting on various parts for my 400 so I dusted off the mcpx in attempt to further evaluate its problem. The last thing I did to it was replace main motor & replace tail motor wiring, which snapped from to much handling, the heli would fly fine at a constant throttle. Give it full throttle & it would just drop out of the sky. I thought maybe a mosfet was burnt, I've seen pics of them but mine did not look like they were scorched. So I thought I may have burnt the tail mosfet completely off. At my lhs today they had 2 mcpx v2s, so I opened 1 up & looked at the main board, it appeared no different than mine. I soon remembered I had replaced the tail motor wire with 120 wire. & then it hit me, COULD THE USE OF THE 120SR TAIL WIRE BE DRAWING MORE POWER, CAUSING THE MAIN MOTOR TO BOG & EVENTUALLY NOT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO SPIN THE ROTORS AT ALL?? My lhs had a complete tail assembly that I quickly bought & installed. Haven't done a full throttle test but it seems to be running much better. Let me know your thoughts please. All electronics are stock
brettskywalker48 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unlikely... more likely a bad solder joint on the new wire, or a short, if it's tail-related. Fly it around first; if the heli flies fine with the stock tail, then ask again, and it'd be a reasonable thing to check if so. But without basic troubleshooting, it could be moon-mice hiding their cheese in your old tail motor. Or the old tail motor just dying, or a bad FET, or... tons and tons of things. Need to know if the new stock tail fixed it before any actual guesses could be reasonably made though, or things to check be suggested.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Very true, I definitely need to do more than cruise through the warehouse at work to test its performance. The new tail assembly may have solved the problem, but I won't know until I get a chance to really fly it. I ll try some pitch pumps to see if It shuts down. Will try tomorrow or later in morning
Old 05-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It does not matter how thick the wires are that you use to conduct current to the tail, they will not cause excess current to be drawn.

The most likely cause of the original "dropping out of the sky" problem is that the main motor is drawing too much current when you give it full collective. To prevent this the mCPX manual suggests that you set the positive and negative pitch Travel Adjust to 75%. Try reducing this and see if it improves things. Don't forget to do both pos and neg.
UKHeliBob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet info ukhelibob, I'm pretty sure my travel adjust is set to 100%. I'm going to change that right now & give it a whirl in a bit
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think ukhelibob hit the nail on the head, after installing a complete tail assembly with new tail motor & checking my pitch travel adjust which was at 100%!!! I quickly changed it back to the stock 75%, I can once again reach full collective without the main motor stalling. Which particularly helpful in strong wind gusts that bounce the little heli several feet up & down. I was ready to scrap, sell, or store my mcpx, now I will continue to irritate my wife by buying upgrades every once in a while. Its ridiculous that some of the metal upgrades for this are 4 times smaller than 450class but cost the same! Oh damn, just started raining, well at least I got to run through 4 batteries this morning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in