Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beginner Microheli question

Guys,

I've read around the mCPX forums a lot and I know I am kind of rehashing a common question but I haven't really seen it mentioned in this way. I am only about 2 months into CP and trying to master orientations so I have a lot of minor crashes with the mCPX (minor as in not a nosedive from 20' trying to loop...usuall a 5' to 6' slide to one side). Anyway, I was working outside, gust of wind came when I wasn't tail in, lost it and put it into the dirt tail first. Broke the tail boom and the swash. Common backstory...

Anyhow, I am going to grab a solid extended E-Flight boom (or two), and the microheli swash. Here is my question: I have the extra cash to grab the MH x-frame as well to get the AR bracket moved to the rear. At this stage I know I won't really be able to notice a performance upgrade but will the MH frame be durable enough to be worth the upgrade now or will buying the x-frame and swash get me stuck with replaceing $50 frames that won't be 'that' much more durable and I'll probably still break a few?
MESummersII is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wait on the frame. It is not too hard the break the rear on any of the carbon frames. The OEM frame is quite good if you build up the front canopy pins.
motoracer5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The bst advise I could give if you want the rear A/R pin is to buy the X-Swash and get a rear A/R bracket from Asteroid Designs. Also his frame brace will sturdy up your canopy pins and not break those all the time. As far as crashing and breaking the MH frame, you can replace parts of the frame and not have to buy the whole frame. The tail mounting bracket is the weakest part of that frame. But I agree with the above post, getting asteroids brace and rear A/R would be the way to go for the least amount of money.
Tasteles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The rear AR bracket from Asteroid Designs is unavailable right now
Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

MH makes a replacement swash (the X one) that has an AR pin location on both the side and rear for when the AD AR bracket is available again.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have had the RKH and MH frames. I went back to the stock frame. I did just upgrade to the solid 2mm carbon fiber tail boom. I cut my own lengths and have enough spares to last me a lifetime...I hope.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I figured I would plan ahead somewhat for eventually wanting to go BL and, from my understanding, you have to mod the stock frame so I figured I would just upgrade to the MH X-frame now to make the transition easier later. I'm not as worried about cost at this point but if the MH x-frame isn't any more crash resistant I also don't want to go breaking $50 frames. I'm ok with $50 now that I would probably spend at a later date anyway to do the BL upgrade. But if it is going to mean replaceing that $50 2 times before it was necessary it isn't worth it.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hey

A stock mcpx flies better the lighter it is. The x frame is sweet and great with brushless power. I would recommend you stay with the stock frame until you need more power. Good luck
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The MH frame is nice in the fact that you can change parts on it when broken. As I said the weakest point on the frame is the tail mount. For a stronger tail mount, either buy the RakonHeli mounting bracket and boom holder or even stronger the rear brackets from asteroid design and the rakon boom holder. The MH frame is alot sturdier than stock and does hold up well in crashes other than the rear boom bracket.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently redid my mcpx with most of the microheli stuff, x frame included. I am happy with the durability, I have had quiet a few rough crashes with it. Although the weight is definitely noticeable running the stock motor. If I would have known about the astroid cage I would have went that route.
roachtron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteles View Post
For a stronger tail mount, either buy the RakonHeli mounting bracket and boom holder or even stronger the rear brackets from asteroid design and the rakon boom holder. The MH frame is alot sturdier than stock and does hold up well in crashes other than the rear boom bracket.
Would you please be kind renough to link me to these parts. I just purchase MH frame but will wait to order these also before install and flight.

Thanks you
naturecannon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Get the X-swash and the Astroid rear AR relocation stick-on for now. While it shines brightest on forward and back flips, even for sport flying it can get rid of that annoying drift to the side on FFF.

Really the biggest argument for going with the MH X-frame early is that you can flip the servos and use straight links. Gets rid of a lot of slop, makes it feel like a bigger heli. The rear AR built-in is just a bonus.

But to echo others... stick with stock for now. It's cheap and durable.

Replace the tail with some solid 2mm CF rod with a pair of flats filed/trimmed in on the same plane, and REMOVE the wires from the motor mount! They're ridiculously easy to scrape off the insulation (lacquer) and short out, destroying your tail FET promptly. The Horizon hop-up extended tail should work, but the roll-your-own is much less expensive... and you can make about 10 tail booms at whatever lengths you want for $4.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
Get the X-swash and the Astroid rear AR relocation stick-on for now. While it shines brightest on forward and back flips, even for sport flying it can get rid of that annoying drift to the side on FFF.

Really the biggest argument for going with the MH X-frame early is that you can flip the servos and use straight links. Gets rid of a lot of slop, makes it feel like a bigger heli. The rear AR built-in is just a bonus.

But to echo others... stick with stock for now. It's cheap and durable.

Replace the tail with some solid 2mm CF rod with a pair of flats filed/trimmed in on the same plane, and REMOVE the wires from the motor mount! They're ridiculously easy to scrape off the insulation (lacquer) and short out, destroying your tail FET promptly. The Horizon hop-up extended tail should work, but the roll-your-own is much less expensive... and you can make about 10 tail booms at whatever lengths you want for $4.
I have the MH swash, not the x swash. I have the LONG Tail Boom Assembly BLH3602L, and
MH-MCPX005 frame.

Just looking for the parts mentioned in few posts up to help the chances of keeping the tail boom intact. But thanks for the advice
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecannon View Post
Would you please be kind renough to link me to these parts. I just purchase MH frame but will wait to order these also before install and flight.

Thanks you
I would use the MH boom bracket until you break it and when asteroid gets back in stock on the brackets, save it and use it when you need it.

Asteroid RKH/MH Carbon Mount Adapter http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...mount-adapters

Red RKH 2mm boom clamp http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item3f189f2d7e

Silver RKH 2mm boom clamp http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item43b0ab7165
Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually was addressed to the thread author's original post.

On the up side, since you have the non-X swash, the only mod you need to do to turn it into an X-swash is buy the replacement rear swash ball and tube. WowHobbies sells them for $4.
I believe you can also buy the MH X-frame upper bearing block separately and swap it onto your non-X frame (and the X AR guide of course) to get the rear mount option. Far as I can see, the upper bearing block is the only difference between the two.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteles View Post
I would use the MH boom bracket until you break it and when asteroid gets back in stock on the brackets, save it and use it when you need it.

Asteroid RKH/MH Carbon Mount Adapter http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...mount-adapters

Red RKH 2mm boom clamp http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item3f189f2d7e

Silver RKH 2mm boom clamp http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item43b0ab7165
So the rkh mount only works with the bracket asteroid is out of? I Ordered rkh mount! What's the next best alternative for a backup clamp in case microheli clamp fails., considering astoriods is out of the bracket?

I also have the solid extended tail boom from horizon. Do I cut off the end part that has the flat spot for a snug fit. Mh mount appears to be all round.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use the RKH mounting bracket also, the one from asteroid is a little thicker and stronger. Also I might add that RKH has 3mm mounts also if you ever want to go with a thicker boom and use one of their mounts. In my opinion it's worth waiting on the asteroid bracket and using the original MH mount and bracket in the mean time.

You don't need to cut off the flat, the clamp will camp it pretty tite. I used a 120sr boom on that MH 3mm mount and found it to be a little loose. I just used a little CA on the boom to make it a little thicker and then it clamped down fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in