Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Whiplash Gasser Clunk line issue.

I used a flexible black neoprene clunk line and cut it to the 6.5 inches in the manual and that Carey uses on his build thread. It appeared to work fine during the first 10 flights of hovering and FFF while breaking in the engine. The heli was able to use all the fuel in the tank and I even ran it out once just to see how long it would fly.
I started having issues as soon as I started doing some sport flying. After doing some flips, rolls, stall turns, tail slides, inverted flight etc. (nothing hard core) when the fuel level dropped below 2/3 I would sparatically get a lean out and engine shut down. the mixture was still very rich but each time it would fire right up again and I would hover it about for about 5 minutes and then as soon as i started Sport Flying it again, bingo... it would flame out after burning 1/3 tank of fuel. I then checked every line for integrity as well as the tank carefully. I was able to play with the tank while it was out and several times the Clunk would hang up on one of the mounting indentations when I rolled the tank and didnt shake it hard.
I found a more flexible (and I mean wet noodle flexible) fuel line and installed that at the prescribed length.
sure enough after burning 1/3 of a tank it leaned out again only this time I was able to whip it around quickly and the motor picked up fuel and settled back into its normal RPM.

I landed and proceeded to start systematically shortening the clunk line length. by about 10mm each time. every time I tried the new length it again either leaned out or quit after 1/3 tank while flying certain smooth inverted manuevers.
Finally when the line was shortened to 4.5 inches I was able to fly doing all the maneuvers I normally do with no issue. I ran it for about 11 minutes and it was virtually out of fuel but still running when I shut it down. I have five - 10 minute flights on it since re doing the clunk at 4.5 inches and it works fine.
I really think the 6.5 inches would work fine for normal 3D as the heli is tossed around enough to dislodge the clunk it it got stuck in a corner. But with my smooth, non radical. lots of inverted piroetting flips and rolls flying style it just would not work at the subscribed length in the manual.

I just wanted to post this in case other sport flyers might encounter the same symptoms.

Now that I am confident I would not have to auto it in every flight, I just love flying this bird.

The TRM VX270TT seems to love RPM. At 2050 HS and almost 12 deg pitch it is hard to bog the motor down. I just started leaning it out some today and I think it has more in it, but it's awesome as is.

Can't wait to get back out tomorrow..

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kind of fuel line is this and where can I get some at?.
ttaylor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It's Viton and you can get it an almost any powered lawn equipment place. In fact I saw it packaged and sold at Home Depot in the trimmer department. It is black and very flexible and in the package came with a stopper for installing it in the tank that you will not need or use. Any other powered lawn equipment repair place will also have it by the foot.

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thanx
ttaylor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Viton 1/8 soft tubing

I'm using this Soft 1/8 Viton tubing Stock # 5119K11
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/140/=k8h8e1
This tubing seems too stiff for the clunk to freely fall to all the corners of the Whiplash gas tank as I try to rotate & shake it.
Are you experiencing the same issue?
Are there any more flexible fuel tubings people have tried?
tcung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The black Hayes fuel/clunk line that I've used in the nitros for years works great in my gassers too ,,

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/NITFL/HAY249.html
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: TSA 700N & G; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Peter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only issue I ever had with the Hayes clunk line was when I kept fuel in the tank while the heli was on the shelf between weekends. I found that the neoprene line would expand and the ends around the clunk and nipple would split , once I stopped leaving nitro in the tank overnight no more problems . Hayes clunk line is one of the better choices out there in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With the new Whiplash G2 kits shipping and people building them This topic is worth bringing back from the dead. Went out with my new Whiplash G2 yesterday and after a guy asked me how low I could get it inverted, I answered him by cutting the grass. Flipped it back over and 30 seconds or later I had to auto down even though I had half a tank left. Clunk had gotten hung up on the divot on the tank side out of the fuel.

The new manual has 2 lengths listed, 80mm and 165mm. I watched Carey’s build video on the old Whiplash and he says 6.5” which is 165mm so I went with that. Funny thing is, I did the same thing on my original Whiplash too and had to shorten it. Save yourself a messy job and just cut the thing in the region of 4” right from the beginning.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

...yea, mine is at 4.5" also. I too was having the same issue as Doug...and I fly a lot more aggressive that Doug.

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always ignore manual recommended lengths and cut the line just long enough to reach the farthest corner.

Never understood why they recommended making it long enough to double back. Itís silly like the airplane guys who put brass tubes in clunk lines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in