Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
ShaneJourdan
Registered Users

Default Problem solved: Many

Guys,

I decided to make an experiment. I realy wondered what small thing could the factory or I have done to make such a different experiance between heli's. I also started to realize one thing is responsible for many problems.

The issues, I believe are easily resolved.
  • "A" Gear issues i.e., stripping and grinding. ( mesh too tight )
  • Vibration on start up ( Resistance in torque rod )
  • Tail wag ( the tail gyro cant deal with resistance in the torque rod )
  • Over heated motor ( strain on motor do to resistance in torque tube )
  • Tail blowout. ( again, not enough power to acquire the proper RPM in the rotor and consequently the tail )
Also I am not sold on setting a torque rod, "B" and "C" lash buy adjusting how far the boom is installed into the tail case. I believe the tail case NEEDS to be press on all the way.

Regaurding the frame... right before the inboard torque rod bearing IS A STOP for the BOOM, so you cant put it on to far.

However... IF your D slots ground into the torque rod are not cut in far enough it can bind your "B" and "C" gears against there counter part to hard. Hence needing to back of the the boom in the frame by .05mm.

Now for the fix.!!

Install your MAIN gear so it indexes with the bottom of your pinion gear. NOT "even" but up 0.5 or 1.5mm or so.. MAKE sure you can feel a UP and DOWN slop when you grab the main gear and pull up and down once seated.

Problems solved
Gaui X2 - BD3sx - Talon 25 - DS95i
ShaneJourdan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
755 robert
Registered Users

Excellent point..I found this out by accident,I was thinking like the mcpx you must push it up tight, then after I did a gear change I noticed the shaft is not held by the gear,so I left it down farther on the shaft to get an easier motor pinion/main gear mesh and everything felt smoother..This may make a big difference all the way around..
Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Liduno
Registered Users

Wow! I think you are on to some thing here.

After reading your thread and the thread in the link below, I think you guys have solved a major problem alot of people have been having.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=434332

And I think 3VW also solved another problem.

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...36&postcount=8

3 posts could save alot of people alot of headaches.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
lovespicyfood
Registered Users

I do not get this solution. Doesn't the A gear pinned into the main shaft really determine any up and down" play?
lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Liduno
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
I do not get this solution. Doesn't the A gear pinned into the main shaft really determine any up and down" play?
If you push the main gear up too tight against bearing, the frame is actually flexing, causing the A gear to push down on the B gear.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
lovespicyfood
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
If you push the main gear up too tight against bearing, the frame is actually flexing, causing the A gear to push down on the B gear.
Ah...okay....thanks for the explanation.

We really need a sticky for a "bible" of 130 fixes...

I had a huge shuddering problem today and someone told me to put the spare canopy grommets on the swash. Some people are using dental floss to snug up the stock swash o-rings. This quick fix solved my shuddering problem!
lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
toys2cars2toys
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
Guys,

I decided to make an experiment. I realy wondered what small thing could the factory or I have done to make such a different experiance between heli's. I also started to realize one thing is responsible for many problems.

• Tail blowout. ( again, not enough power to acquire the proper RPM in the rotor and consequently the tail )
Also I am not sold on setting a torque rod, "B" and "C" lash buy adjusting how far the boom is installed into the tail case. I believe the tail case NEEDS to be press on all the way.

Regaurding the frame... right before the inboard torque rod bearing IS A STOP for the BOOM, so you cant put it on to far.

However... IF your D slots ground into the torque rod are not cut in far enough it can bind your "B" and "C" gears against there counter part to hard. Hence needing to back of the the boom in the frame by .05mm.

Now for the fix.!!

Install your MAIN gear so it indexes with the bottom of your pinion gear. NOT "even" but up 0.5 or 1.5mm or so.. MAKE sure you can feel a UP and DOWN slop when you grab the main gear and pull up and down once seated.

Problems solved

I haven't got mine yet (slow shipping to UK) so lots of time on here trying to find nuggets of gold like this one
I'd also come to the conclusion that the B and C gears should be able to push up against their bearings. In a long winded post I basically said push the boom in as far as it will go but not too far that the round parts of torque rods stick out of the bearings

Just a question, do you really mean "0.05mm" that really is not visible to the eye, I suspect 0.5mm

The other thing that I would say is that there's probably quite a wide manufacturing tolerance on these parts, following the same method may require different amounts of boom positioning on other heli's

Good spot on the gear, so you are saying that as the main shaft is retained, with the collar and A gear, then the main gear doesn't have to be pushed up tight - some clearance is better
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
toys2cars2toys
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

After reading your thread and the thread in the link below, I think you guys have solved a major problem alot of people have been having.

I think that you are right, you guys have really started to narrow down some of the problems
Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
litehawkdown
Registered Users

Quote:

That's what we need. Not all this winning like babies
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
Liduno
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
I think that you are right, you guys have really started to narrow down some of the problems
I love this forum..lol

Eventually someone on here will figure out the secret to time travel, If only to get their parts before they actually need them

Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
toys2cars2toys
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I love this forum..lol

Eventually someone on here will figure out the secret to time travel, If only to get their parts before they actually need them
What do you mean "eventually" didn't you wonder why I ordered a metal A gear and Xtreme pitch slider 2 weeks ago, I haven't even got my heli yet
Old 07-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
Liduno
Registered Users

Quote:
What do you mean "eventually" didn't you wonder why I ordered a metal A gear and Xtreme pitch slider 2 weeks ago, I haven't even got my heli yet
You sneaky bastid

Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
toys2cars2toys
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You sneaky bastid
Then again this "gift" didn't foresee me smacking my 250 into the ground this week from great height and pretty fast

Very little damage though due to rain soaked ground, luck and throttle hold
Old 07-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
Liduno
Registered Users

Quote:
Then again this "gift" didn't foresee me smacking my 250 into the ground this week from great height and pretty fast

Very little damage though due to rain soaked ground, luck and throttle hold
I think a trip in the ole time machine and a few strategically placed pillows could solve that..lol

Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
CrazyNorman
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If pushing the main gear on all the way flexes the frame, could that be what causes the a gear to rob the servo? Could also apply slight bend to tt, killing bearings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
CrazyNorman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
Willyboy
Registered Users

Quote:

Now for the fix.!!

Problems solved
I have one flight on mine and I thought everything was smooth and perfect. After reading your discovery, I took the canopy off and rotated the main gear by hand clockwise and everything seemed really smooth. Then I rotate the main gear counter-clockwise and I one spot on the the A & B gear it would hang up and I had to put extra effort on the main gear to get past this spot. It would give a rather loud click to get past this rough spot. So I tried your idea and the rough spot went away completely when rotating the main gear counter-clockwise. It was never a problem turning the gear clockwise. I then push the main gear up tight against the frame and sure enough the binding occurred again when turning the main gear counter-clockwise. I repeated these steps several times and each time I received binding issues when turning the main gear counter-clockwise but not any issues when turning clockwise.

Thanks for your very good tip and keen observation. This is why I really love this forum because everybody is pulling together to make this bird really work well. I do think that the tail slider/box will be better if a third party manufacturer develops one out of metal which I understand is being done presently.

Bob
Willyboy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
d12bn
Registered Users

Default Hey

So adjusting the main gear stopped your tail wag? My 130x flys great for easy sport flying. Hard 3d and I get tail wag. I've adjusted gain and gear mesh with the boom and tail mount with different results but none as good as I would like. I will try the main gear adjustment

QUOTE=DoctorJ;4104613]Guys,

Now for the fix.!!

Problems solved[/QUOTE]
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
Ric66
Registered Users

Quote:
Guys,

Now for the fix.!!

Problems solved
By "up" you mean away from the rotor head, right?
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Liduno
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
I have one flight on mine and I thought everything was smooth and perfect. After reading your discovery, I took the canopy off and rotated the main gear by hand clockwise and everything seemed really smooth. Then I rotate the main gear counter-clockwise and I one spot on the the A & B gear it would hang up and I had to put extra effort on the main gear to get past this spot. It would give a rather loud click to get past this rough spot. So I tried your idea and the rough spot went away completely when rotating the main gear counter-clockwise. It was never a problem turning the gear clockwise. I then push the main gear up tight against the frame and sure enough the binding occurred again when turning the main gear counter-clockwise. I repeated these steps several times and each time I received binding issues when turning the main gear counter-clockwise but not any issues when turning clockwise.

Thanks for your very good tip and keen observation. This is why I really love this forum because everybody is pulling together to make this bird really work well. I do think that the tail slider/box will be better if a third party manufacturer develops one out of metal which I understand is being done presently.

Bob
You may still want to look at your B gear to make sure there isn't a casting defect or something like that.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
shreddedpaper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think DoctorJ is on to something here. I remember him posting a while back about TT and boom depths for gear mesh, he agreed with me that the B gear needed to rest against the bearing to stop the A gear from being chewed. And I posted a lengthy write-up about this.
I installed the metal A gear a couple days ago, left the boom where it was and flew just fine, for a few flights. Then the C gear started walking off the TT and stripping the hole. ( made me originally think the servo was crapping out).

Last night I noticed my tail box sliding off the boom, aggravating the problem.

So I hot glued the tail box to one side of the boom only. Box stays put now and is easy to remove should the need arise. I also took a different approach with the boom depth, since I am now using the metal A gear, and pushed it all the way in. Gear mesh is tighter, no binding, TT stays in place.

But the resonance got worse, even with new bearings.

So I got out the model train gear lube (really thick gooey stuff) and lightly lubed the A-B gears and the C-D gears, rotated by hand a few turns for a good coat and wiped the excess off.

Now it's smooth as can be, no resonance, and quieter sound in flight.

Lets face it, the original plastic A gear is crap. caused more problems, leading to false fixes that brought up more problems.

So if you're running the new metal A gear, try fully seating the boom now, do what you need to do for securing the tail box and lube the gears fore and aft. Rotate by hand and check for binding.

Another thing I noticed was, using trimmed down 250 tail blades, was a "heavy" feel to the tail.
I re-installed the original tail blades and the tail calmed down, was quieter still and feels "light" again, actually more responsive, imho.

Today's project is to lengthen the boom supports clear to the tail box, and see if better support on the boom will help in any way.
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote