Don't bother with Walkera's repair work for our receivers! - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Mini CP

Mini CP Walkera Mini CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Don't bother with Walkera's repair work for our receivers!

Ok so I started having weird behavior with my Mini. See the below thread for details:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=431910

After being frustrated enough to pull my hair out, I was almost ready to throw in the towel. Luckily, a nice guy named Chris on here, who goes by "zzyzx," saw my thread and offered his assistance as much he could over a forum. After a lot of back and forth, he offered to take a look at it if I wanted to bring it over, or send it to him.

I sent him my RX, and shortly after receiving it, he had isolated the issue and repaired it (as well as a few other things, including using various tools such as multimeter to verify that all the components were working correctly). He tested it and returned it. This was only a matter of DAYS instead of weeks.

When I received it back, I realized that aside from the repairs, he had also rewound my shoddy inductor coil repair, replaced my battery leads, added a shrink tube covering to my antenna end to protect it from shorting, and then hot glued all the necessary items to protect them from breaking again. All this and he only charged me $30. He even covered the return shipping.

Chris really knows his stuff (as you can probably tell from his contributions on the boards), so if you don't want to shell out $65 + shipping for a new RX, or wait an eternity for the mothership in China to repair them, I really recommend you contact zzyzx on here. I'm thrilled to have saved money and have my receiver returned to me like new.
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have done a fair amount of information gathering in repairing my own stack of damaged mini cp boards. I understand them well enough to repair most any issue you may be having and have most spare parts on hand. I'm not aware of any local (USA) repair service being offered for these boards and can fill this need if it exists. while I always can use more funds for new parts and equipment, this service should mainly serve to be of help to the community and I am happy to share anything I know free of charge. I feel 30 dollars is a price point that is competitive to factory repair or replacement while simultaneously providing enough incentive for me to keep busy on them.
Genius boards shouldn't be a problem either. PM me if you have a question or would like a walkera micro board repaired. I'm located in southern California.
zzyzx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chris I am good for now but have 3 GCP with the WK RX and will most definitely use your service if and when one goes down. Put one in the ede of a fish pond yesterday, but it seems to have survived.

Nice to know you are there.
RD
rldeveer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Small update: Paypal fees compel me to ask that you cover return shipping for your board ($3usd). I will send you your board back for your inspection before paying. This practice will end the first time I get burned. I can also offer direct soldered brushless mods for the same price as the wow kit ($60usd). I will use the same wk10amp esc and c05 motor. To cover the parts, I will have to ask for payment in advance for this service. It would be foolish of me to offer a better warranty on my repairs than the manufacturer offers on their own products, so I can't really. I can however assure you that your board will be flight tested and built to the best of my capabilities when you receive it and any special instructions will be addressed prior to receiving your parts. This service targets a niche within a niche, a few forum threads and word of mouth are the only ways it will be advertised, it's in my best interests to meet expectations.

I was also considering putting together a mini cp electronics repair kit if there was any interest. I would include some spare components, a parts placement diagram, and some notes on operation / troubleshooting tips. I was thinking of a price at or around $20 shipped. I think I would pay that price to avoid identifying, sizing, and ordering them myself but that doesn't necessarily guarantee there will be a market for such a kit.

Last edited by zzyzx; 07-25-2012 at 07:24 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

zzyzx do you think that is my problem? This is a brand new rx and it has started doing this with in a week of getting it . here is the video.
This is what happens with my mini cp servo. (0 min 21 sec)

I also have another board that needs repaired.
-tks
Shadowolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

holy crap! i had to watch that video 3 times, are them blades flapping? looks dangerous! what the hell happened? lol
dreamz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That symptom is caused by interference from the motor driver circuit. That noise can become a problem due to any number of failures though.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

A worn motor can cause that symptom, I suggest trying another before condemning the receiver. I should catch these most of the time, but you'll be more satisfied, and I'll have an easier time if you can do everything reasonably possible to ensure that the fault is isolated to the receiver before sending it in. Faulty servo wiring or excessive power lead voltage drop are other possible non-rx sources. Cables / rx antenna will be replaced as preventive maintenance items with every service, provided there are no extenuating circumstances that prevent it.

Once i even saw that problem disappear just by moving the antenna. A good portion of boards that operate normally will become symptomatic if the antenna is resting on top of the motor. the way that particular heli was put together left the antenna in an unfortunate spot when the canopy was installed... Just some more food for thought.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll also try to accomodate special requests within reason. Stuff like extended battery cables, parralel cables, or a different connector shouldn't be a problem, if you send or reimburse any parts. Regarding special connectors/parts: You will receive faster service if you send them with or at least check whether I have them on hand. Considering I will more or less be operating on the honor system, at least at first, I will have to require that the parts are provided or advance payment is made on anything that retails for more than a few dollars. I'd be upset to lose a few dollars worth of parts and my time, that's all I'm willing to risk being stiffed for at the present..
Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since I am offerring this service as a means of helping to fund an expensive hobby, I may also consider trades as partial or in lieu of pay. Additionally I may be interested in purchasing broken boards or electronics if you have several or don't want to bother with them.

out of mini cp mosfet ic currently - have on order for early next week if you already have a board in the mail- I'll melt them on as soon as they arrive.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need walkera board help

I have a mini cp with a blown fet, and a genisius board that the elevator servo control stopped working. I tested it with a working one. (this was after a crash that took out that servo) anyone out there doing repairs ?

Thanks
Mike
Mpicpu@gmail.com
mpicpu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have a board out with me for service, I finished a few and went to the post office today. Everything caught up from last week, I'll help with any new issues today. I have time this afternoon.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Glad I found this board

Hi, I am new here and very glad i found this board, zzyzx, I am sending you a private message concerning some work for a mini cp. This forum looks great, seems you all have a really nice community here.
WaveOmatic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi zz,

i just attached my 4th board on my mini cp, this thing has been the most expensive heli ever.

and on the first flight it did the same thing that caused previous crashes and subsequently destroying the board. it didnt destroy it this time however.

what it does is suddenly climb rapidly and crash into the ceiling. i cant tell if its a sudden pitch increase or rpm increase but it does it in both flight modes. its done it on every board ive had.

is this the type of thing you fix?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

that sounds like a mechanical problem or TX config issue, not electronic. Make sure your shaft collar is resting against the frame bearing tightly. Make sure the main gear is pressed on fully. Unplug the main motor, put the tx in idle up/stunt mode and put the throttle stick at mid stock. You should have 0 degrees pitch. Move the stick up and down and ensure that the pitch is changing evenly.
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

considering your description I would suggest you check the servo wiring,in particular the connector and pins. ive seen similar issues that ive traced there. enough to be worthy of note for sure considering your issue is not unique to the board. you can get a bag of 5 compatible replacements from hobby king for about 2 bucks. consider crimping on new pins if you don't have the equipment or skills to solder on the serv board, splices on these wires don't last long in my experience, the heat makes the wires brittle. I bought drop in replacements for the pins from digikey. the newb friendly route would be a new set of servos. spin it up and wiggle the connectors and it will probably be obvious if my guess is correct. its probably one servo that gets a touchy connection once the bird starts vibrating from the main blade rotation.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
considering your description I would suggest you check the servo wiring,in particular the connector and pins. ive seen similar issues that ive traced there. enough to be worthy of note for sure considering your issue is not unique to the board. you can get a bag of 5 compatible replacements from hobby king for about 2 bucks. consider crimping on new pins if you don't have the equipment or skills to solder on the serv board, splices on these wires don't last long in my experience, the heat makes the wires brittle. I bought drop in replacements for the pins from digikey. the newb friendly route would be a new set of servos. spin it up and wiggle the connectors and it will probably be obvious if my guess is correct. its probably one servo that gets a touchy connection once the bird starts vibrating from the main blade rotation.
+1, mine had the same and it turned out to be a servo.
Melnik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mini CP Rcv Repairs

Hi zzyxz - are you still accepting Mini CP Rcvrs for repair? I have 1 with tail mot. stuck on, and another with the main mot. stuck on, total 2 needing repair. Also, I see you are in SoCal. - are you around LA? Cheers,
Heli-Freak-Mike
Heli-Freak-Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zz,
I have been waiting on my rx to be returned for 2 months now. So whats up with it? Whats your excuse this time?
Shadowolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered a new board yesterday.
Is this really the way to go? Stock on boards? doesn't seem right to me, seriously :\
My right servo isn't working anymore, before it stopped it was doing the same behavior as OP video, going full left, or doing some big and ugly twitch to the left. I know the problem is the top servo connector cause if I change the servos around the problem follows. I have 0 experience in soldering and electronics and am currently at a lost at what to do. Should I try to change the servo connector at the board? How can I be sure the problem is there?
Dant is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.