Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rogie got it now basically flow 2 ways on one lead, the positive wire +. No doubt Futaba will make this obsolete soon. There will be no need.
Thanks for your post.
Milde Shag is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

well im using my 9252's cyclic in the align 2 in 1 at 5.8, they work great. i got a 5.1 align for the tail servo, and i couldnt get me another one for the governor servo. i dont want to push that much my throttle servo at 5.8.

so i went to my electronic suply store, and i bought 1 A diode, so i went home for give it a try, and my voltage only dropped .3 v

so i went to the store again and bought another one, so i did solder the two of the in serial to get a drope of .6v, and it worked perfectly..

now my throttle servo sees 5.2 v...

you think its gonna be ok for the throttle servo with the align gov 5.2 ?

i know that 9252 at 6v and connected to a governor would be a dead servo for sure...

5.2 would be just fine ? or should i go to the store AGAIN haha and buy another diode to get me 4.9 v ?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep in mind that the voltage drop across a diode varies with the current. A diode
is not a regulator.

The .7V drop of the diode you have will only be true at a specific current for that
particular diode.

Before you fly with 3 diodes in series, I'd test it. Put a 6 volt light bulb across it or
better yet, use a charger/discharger to put a load on your setup. You might be
surprised at the result.
StallWarning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may have purchased a Germanium diode. They have a voltage drop of 0.3 volts.

The voltage drop of a diode DOES NOT vary with current.
The beauty of the diode is a consistent voltage drop over its operating current range .

Last edited by N017RW; 09-25-2009 at 07:40 AM..
N017RW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

The drawing is correct and illustrates insertion between the gyro and servo (secnario 1).

Now what happens when you plug the step-down (a.k.a. SD) in between the BEC and RX to lower the voltage to everything? (Scenario 2)

With just one diode the SD would only work in one implementation.

In scenario 1, the gyro (current source) is plugged into the SD's female or socket side and the servo (load) is plugged into the SD's male or "surrounded pins". Now one of the two diodes is forward biased and the diode will pass current and drop ~0.7 vdc.

In scenario 2 it is the opposite hook-up in terms of current flow. The SD's male or "surrounded pins" is plugged into to BEC (current source) and the Rx (load) is plugged into the SD's female or socket side.

Now the other diode is forward biased and the user is none the wiser.

Regardless of how you name or assign sex to the connectors ( I guessed) the result is the same.

This is illustrated here:
http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=2276
Old 09-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N017RW View Post
The beauty of the diode is a consistent voltage drop over its operating current range .
This link says that it does and you can calculate the drop using a formula.

http://www.nlreg.com/diode.htm
StallWarning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree there is some variation in the voltage drop. The graph you presented is not new.

But in the context of the discussion and the diode's intended application here, the drop is very consistent.

Your graph does not define the type of diode and can be misleading in that it does not show the drop(s) at currents more in line with how the diode will be used, say in the 1-3 amp range. Here you'll find the rectifier diode's voltage drop much more consistent (though admittedly not exact).

Last edited by N017RW; 09-25-2009 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

i am building one of these tomorrow. so I get the 1n4001 diode from rat shack and put two of them on the positive line right, one going one way, one going the other way and I'm done right? And I can run the BEC at 6Volts on my trex500 and the dropdown will keep my tail servo okay?
robl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are putting 2 diodes in series, they both go the same direction. Plus line to anode of diode 1, cathode of diode 1 to anode of diode 2, cathode of diode 2 to plus of servo.

widower is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys. I recently picked up an S9257 for my trex 450 (401b gyro). I plugged it in and it was buzzing. I looked up the problem and discovered that I needed a step down, found this very helpful thread. I have the parts to make one (many IN4001 diodes, servo extension, soldering pen), so I started to make one like on page 6. Surprisingly, that only dropped the voltage from 6V to about 5.8V. Then I tried a single IN4001 (Same way, putting diode(s) on the positive wire between gyro and servo, white ring facing servo) and it dropped the voltage from 6V to about 5.6V. Weird, eh? I know it should drop the voltage a bit more then that. Of course, I tried it with 3 total, all white rings facing the servo. That got the voltage to 4.9V, good.

1. I have read all of this thread and I think there were mixed opinions about the placement of the diodes. Like don't use more then one / problems will occur if it's not set up like the picture on page 6. Is what I did going to be ok?

2. The servo still has a buzz no movement, just a buzz. Is this normal, even at the correct voltage? It goes away when the servo reaches its endpoints. Servo horn is on but there is no linkage on it, so it's not a binding issue. I shouldn't send it back to Futaba, should I? Did I screw it up when I plugged it in at 6V before or something?

Thanks for the help! I'm on RCU a lot but Helifreak rocks!
koolaid man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N017RW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StallWarning View Post
This link says that it does and you can calculate the drop using a formula.

http://www.nlreg.com/diode.htm
Actually the link says that the drop is constant. The formula and graph explains the relationship between voltage over and current through the diode. This function is non-linear because of the nature of the silicon semiconductor material (it is not compareable with a normal load as a resistor).
stenkilde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid man View Post

2. The servo still has a buzz no movement, just a buzz. Is this normal, even at the correct voltage? It goes away when the servo reaches its endpoints. Servo horn is on but there is no linkage on it, so it's not a binding issue. I shouldn't send it back to Futaba, should I? Did I screw it up when I plugged it in at 6V before or something?

Thanks for the help! I'm on RCU a lot but Helifreak rocks!
My 9257 does the exact same thing as yours although it seems to work OK in flight.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Amazing to see that my thread is still alive after almost 3 years and it's still an issue for some.... Maybe this should be a sticky....

Digital servos buzz... some more then others like the Align servos, or Savox. Buzzing is fine, though it will drive you mad when setting up a heli.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which diode should I use?

I need something like this but to step down from 11.1 to 6v. Just need to lower the voltage for a fan going on an esc. Which diode should I use?
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any know if you can make one to step down to 2.0 volts? Thanks
Jim Hansen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #76 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Schottky Diodes..... it's spelled wrong, but should be close enough for a google search.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

HFG, Thanks you got the spelling right , but i am not sure what ratting i need here what i am doing battery out put 8.24 v need to reg it down to 6v the one i have only give me .7 v drop so my qustion is how do you read them?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

If a 1N4001 gives ya .7 what do i need for a 2,0 drop or is that possible
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

well 3 will give you roughly 2.1V drop, but remember the diodes will be dissipating the power, so if you are doing more than 1 servo it very likely you will need a heatsink.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running from the receiver to the gyro, that it running rest on 8v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in