Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Evolution (formerly ALeeS)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 AM   #341 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn666 View Post
There's 1 Aussie waiting very eagerly for his rush to be sent.
Just out of curiosity, how many of us Aussie Rush owners is there? Chime in from the other side of the pond!
lowey79 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 AM   #342 (permalink)
Registered Users

That would be good to know Wayne, i only know of 3
Your Hobby is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #343 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know it's premature yet, but I am getting together a list of goodies to put on the Evo when it gets here. I'm still in the planning stages, and this build is probably going to span the duration of the winter months. Mostly so I can prepare myself with lots of sim time when not building. That and I want to make sure everything is as mechanically and electronically close to perfection as it can be before I maiden it.

This is what I have so far for planning the setup, I will be making purchases a bit at a time so the wife doesn't end up having to rent a wood chipper.

Motor: Scorpion HKIII-4035-530
ESC: Castle Edge 160 HV with Arm lock
BEC/Rx power: Haven't decided if I want to run BEC or Rx pack yet
Flight controller: Toss up between iKON or Spartan VX1e
Servos: KST DS725MG (Maybe)
Radio system: FrSky
Battery: Optipower 5000mAh
Main Blades: Zeal 700mm (Or should I go up to 710's if I can get em? Note that I will be going up to 750's as soon as they are available!)
Tail Blades: Zeal 115mm

I'm not focusing on hardcore smacking just yet. I'm more of a Sport flyer personally (For now)

This list may change over time as I do a little more research. I have been pouring over the stickies here for the past few days, and reading up. Absorbing as much info and experience from seasoned pilots and owners of the Rush.

Is there any word on a manual for the Evolution yet? I'd kind of like to study it in detail. I have downloaded the PDF of the Original Rush, and the Stretch manual too, and have been looking it over, but I require more details on the Evo changes. Call it my curiosity and thirst for knowledge!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #344 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as I know the manual hasn't been released yet. I think the 160 esc is a good choice if your planning on running the stretch kit in the future. Me personally, I would go with the vortex. I've owned and flown both. I like your excitement, must be awesome winning the kit give away. You can study head and tail sections in the build threads while you wait. All the changes are in the frame and drive train. I'm quite anxious myself to get the Evo. Soon my friend
-Phillip Johnson, AMA #954735
LegndarySaiyan is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #345 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I wanted to make sure I had enough ESC when I decided to stretch. I seriously considered Kontronik, but the wife would flay the flesh from my bones when she saw that bill on the bank account!

As far as excitement: I still can't believe I got it! I am super stoked!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #346 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel the kosmik is worth a pound of flesh.
-Phillip Johnson, AMA #954735
LegndarySaiyan is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #347 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're going to be doing just sport flying, then I would seriously consider the HKIII-4035-500 motor. With that motor, you can use a 120 ESC and then when you progress, you can go to a 13 tooth pinion and still be able to smack it around at higher headspeeds.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #348 (permalink)
Registered Users

VX1E all the way
Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #349 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
If you're going to be doing just sport flying, then I would seriously consider the HKIII-4035-500 motor. With that motor, you can use a 120 ESC and then when you progress, you can go to a 13 tooth pinion and still be able to smack it around at higher headspeeds.

Scott
Thanks Scott! I will definitely take that into consideration.

I just wanted to make sure I was future-proofing a little for the stretch with the ESC. I had considered the 120A and 500Kv as well. Like I said before, this list may change up a little here and there.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #350 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the 13t and crank on the 4035 all the time. Dont be fooled by the "small" output of 4500w. That is still a lot more power than a nitro and you can really run them hard. I try to avoid the huge motors so I have a little more flight time. If the power is there the motor will use it so the larger 4525 will get less flight time from all those extra watts.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #351 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could go with a 120 esc but when you stretch you will need a 160. If you really do plan to stretch consider getting a motor that will work for 700 and 750 blades. Scorpion 4530-500 down to a 450. Not higher though as the gearing will be a little high. Or a KDE G3 700XF 505 or 455.

I know those motors are more expensive than what you mentioned, but you only need to buy once. Same with the esc.

I prefer Spartan over Ikon.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #352 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been thru this thread, and only seen I posted a question, but not my set up being a sport/big air pilot, with a lame attempt at 3D....

Scorpion 4035-560kV. Its a bit much, but I ordered a 4525-520kV Ultimate for the Legacy and will order another for the EVO.
Main blades are Helix 695, tails are now Rail 116.
Savox 1267 SG HV on cyclics and Futaba 256 HV on tail. All ProTek servo horns.
Started with a AR7200BX with DSMX sat (for sale, shameless plug), swapped over to the Mikado Mini VBar.
Radio is a JR XG11 on DMSS with a 831BPU Rx.
Glacier 2S 3600 Rx battery
Glacier 6S 5000 45C
CC Ice 2 HV 120

I have been flying 5.5 minutes at a HS of 2050. Lately, I have been really hard on collective, and been landing at 10% remaining. So, I dropped down to 5 minutes, and I can be hard on the collective and still have 25%. I may bump my time up to 5.25 minutes......

Thanks everyone for their advice and input!

Team Shannon, Scorpion Power Systems and TailDraggerRC. Thank you all!
chris-fry is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #353 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinpr View Post
You could go with a 120 esc but when you stretch you will need a 160. If you really do plan to stretch consider getting a motor that will work for 700 and 750 blades. Scorpion 4530-500 down to a 450. Not higher though as the gearing will be a little high. Or a KDE G3 700XF 505 or 455.

I know those motors are more expensive than what you mentioned, but you only need to buy once. Same with the esc.

+1

A lower kV would be much more versatile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-fry View Post
I've been thru this thread, and only seen I posted a question, but not my set up being a sport/big air pilot, with a lame attempt at 3D....

Scorpion 4035-560kV. Its a bit much, but I ordered a 4525-520kV Ultimate for the Legacy and will order another for the EVO.
Main blades are Helix 695, tails are now Rail 116.
Savox 1267 SG HV on cyclics and Futaba 256 HV on tail. All ProTek servo horns.
Started with a AR7200BX with DSMX sat (for sale, shameless plug), swapped over to the Mikado Mini VBar.
Radio is a JR XG11 on DMSS with a 831BPU Rx.
Glacier 2S 3600 Rx battery
Glacier 6S 5000 45C
CC Ice 2 HV 120

I have been flying 5.5 minutes at a HS of 2050. Lately, I have been really hard on collective, and been landing at 10% remaining. So, I dropped down to 5 minutes, and I can be hard on the collective and still have 25%. I may bump my time up to 5.25 minutes......

Thanks everyone for their advice and input!
Actually, I'd leave your timer at 5 mins. I try to target 30% remaining in the packs. It's better on the packs if you don't run them down too far.
lowey79 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #354 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Cool! I'll look into the 160A, and the 500Kv options.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:30 AM   #355 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so I made a few changes out of necessity. Mostly funding and availability of components and this is what I have so far. Some of it will probably change up again.

Scorpion HKIII-4035-500Kv
YEP 120A HV (It's what I was using in my TSA 600)
ProModeler 74140DL-HV on the cyclic
Protek 230S on the tail
FrSky V8FR-II HV Rx (Might switch this out to something more satellite friendly)
Robird G31 (picked it up brand new for dirt cheap)

As far as batteries go, I will be running standalone Rx Pack, and most likely Pulse or Optipower 5000mAh packs.

I'm thinking of moving over to a different Rx with satellite capability though so I can take advantage of the Robird Governor using the RPM sensor. I'll probably just use the YEP Governor store mode for now though. Robird might not get used, as I just picked up a Spartan VX1e. Haven't decided yet.

I'm still picking up the castle 160 HV, but I really like the Governor on the YEP ESC's so I will fly with that before I stretch later on.

Is anyone running KBDD tail blades? I have a few pairs of them in 112mm that I picked up at IRCHA for really low prices. I wasn't sure about running those though. I will be running Zeal 115mm tails later, but I am not ordering those until I can get Yellow 700mm mains from Zeal.

Right now I have a couple of sets of SAB 700mm blades that I can use until then.

Basically I've got electronics I can use for a good while. Just need the kit and a few extra lipos.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #356 (permalink)
Registered Users

KBDD's can work. I have seen a few use them. I think Scott uses them.

I will never use the again. I had a stock pile because I got them cheap. When I had no others they went on my machine. Lost a set in flight on my 700. Head speed was fairly low. 2000ish, but I had a vibe pop up. Boom! No tail blades. Got it down ok though.

So when I got home I decided to check the 750 that had a set too since I broke my Rail 115's. There was marks on both blades in the exact same spot the other blades broke. They were on the verge of breaking.

Its too bad. I always liked them. Nice to have a set of blades after a crash. They hold up well. I will likely use them on smaller helis. 550 down. I just think the 112's weigh too much.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #357 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input on the KBDD tails. I'll stick with them for a bit until I place the order for some more Zeal blades.

Was the break near the metal insert at the root? That's kind of the reason I was inquiring about them. It's an FRP type plastic, and the pairs I have all look pretty sturdy so far. That metal insert kind of worries me though. Especially right where the leading and trailing edges meet at the root. The plastic looks a little skimpy at those points.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #358 (permalink)
Registered Users

The metal insert is actually just two washers. One each side. There is material under them.

They broke just off center of the hole towards the tip of the blade. The other ones had white stress marks in the exact same spot.

Just keep the head speeds reasonable and if you notice any vibes or a bad bearing please land. Also check them after each flight.

I was lucky. When I noticed the vibe, I put the heli into a 30 foot hover to check something. Then they let go. Easy auto down.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #359 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The metal insert is actually just two washers. One each side. There is material under them.

They broke just off center of the hole towards the tip of the blade. The other ones had white stress marks in the exact same spot.

Just keep the head speeds reasonable and if you notice any vibes or a bad bearing please land. Also check them after each flight.

I was lucky. When I noticed the vibe, I put the heli into a 30 foot hover to check something. Then they let go. Easy auto down.
Good to know on the metal insert washers.

I'll definitely keep an eye on them once I get the bird flying. I've had pretty good success rates with KBDD blades on smaller helis with exception of one pair that were way off balance weight wise.

Haven't taken the 112's out of the packages yet, but they look like they are in good shape.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #360 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the record, I do not use KBDD's on my Rush. I know Ah Clem uses them though with no issues.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in