Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking 480 Stretch

Hi, guys

Winter is here, means more ground time than flying. So I'm kind surveying on my project to stretch 450 V2 fbl for 480 size. Probably many guys done that already, so hope sharing info here.

1.Since Align doesn't offer any stretch kit, have to using Tarot, Alzrc or something else. Any recomendation? Alzrc has stretch kit for $75, including Canopy and frame.

2. What blade should using, Alzrc has 360mm for $18, Lynx has new line of blades, 350mm for $25. Since stretching it, 360 is better?

3..Do I need to change tail grip or blade?

4. Does need to change any gain control on fbl unit to effect stretch? How about HS, should reduce little bit?
stevembusa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I usually I buy from Tarot-rc but they have been out of booms for a while now.Hawk Rc in Hong Kong ships fast and has them in stock!For the tail use 62mm blades ,reduce headspeed one or two pinion sizes (3000 to 2400).For main blades use Tarot 345mm,Lynx 350mm,hobby king 360($6).Try to buy light in weight (-30g) blades.Also buy the carbon fiber pust rod and belt or torquetube.Your settings will change a little on gyro but not to much.The heli will have alot of lift(floaty) and precision 3d becomes easier as you can do things in slo mo!With the pinion change I get longer flight times and have
mine set for 2400-2700 headspeed!you'll love it !
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, Stevemch.

I've zyx-3, so may reduce gain little bit. I've 6S setup and 12 pinion with 3300 on IU2, 3100 on IU1, so better lower to maybe 2700 and 2500?
Yes, I was looking for slo mo 3D action, like big heli. I'll look forward to it.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

With the larger blades it will still feel ballistic at 2500, but is smoother like a larger heli!I have one on 6s(beam e4)and my Blackangel on 4s.Running 11t pinion with 2700kv 4s and 1700kv 6s 11t.
Steve
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've 2010kv motor with 12T & 11T. I'm still don't quite figure out power/weigh ratio on 450. I'm more toward 360mm blade, since has plenty of power and light body.
BTW, you live in heaven year long.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Flying season all year, only have wind to contend with.Don't like the cold to much!You might want to look at one of the Tarot 6s motors.They have a 1860 kv and a 1700kv both around $24.I'm using the ntm 1700 kv motor $21 and my 4s is the cheap hobby king 2700kv motor only$12 and weighs 68g(really small).I didn't think these motors would perform but they work great!!
Steve
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah, I stick with my Scorpion 2010KV.
RC711 has Alzrc 480 stretch kit including nice canopy, frame set with lowered battery tray, boom, TT, metal Anti rotation, Tail grip set for $80. I think this is really good deal.

How about flying time, do you get longer?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, flight times are increased. I have gotten almost 19min flights out of my 420mm stretched 450 on 6s and over 25min on the 12s version. Most of this depends on batt load and setup.

I wont touch a tt in a 450 due to the poor fabrication and vibes they induce though. Belt is the way to go here.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, 420mm on 450 heli? How that happen? What mainshaft you using?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You mean, 420mm tail boom, right?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nope..420mm blades...I have ran 500mm's but stripped the main gear after 2 mins..lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1448.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	364617   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1450.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	723.3 KB
ID:	364618  
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevembusa View Post
You mean, 420mm tail boom, right?
No, just as Helihaven said. 420mm blades. MsComposites with a 6mm root. Stretched boom using a gates mxl571 belt and raised HH tail system. Or as a straight stretch a simple stock length 500 belt on a straight boom. It acts like a 500 but has far far more power to weight. I used the stock fbl heads for a while and cut my own grips to fit. But now our local 450 stretch master Helihaven showed me how to install Rave450 grips onto a pro sized aftermarket spec head. It uses his 63mm x4mm feathering shafts and has a 3x10mm set bolt on it. On mine I installed the Tarot DFC grip arms. I have done both versions of grips, both fbl and flybarred which have a shorter arm on them for use with smaller swash diameters.

This way you use the stock mainshaft and Microheli delrin gears. The stockers barely last past spool up. However I scrapped the trex undercut shafts due to poor specs and now use B400 shafts that I cut down to size. Perfect match! I have countless hundreds of flights on mine in 6s and now am working on 12s configurations. And as Helihaven just stated the weak link is in the main gear. It just cannot hold up to hard 3d pounding on the gov. Off the gov they work fine. Helihaven is now working on a motor to main belt drive system that can be installed into a stock trex frame. That should eliminate gear fatigue failures.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, you guys have so much talent to do all that and made up yourself. So sound like try to make like MSH heli with one belt system from motor to maingear to tail.
Yep, I have Protos 500 and love that power drive system. It so easy for everything and I think that will be awsome on 450 stretched.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, can you tell me what is longest straight boom w/TT to fit on trex 450?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Would imagine it's the tarot 480 stretch kit...I'm a belt man myself...*grins*
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helihaven View Post
Would imagine it's the tarot 480 stretch kit...I'm a belt man myself...*grins*
Agreed! All the way. All the 450 class TT systems vibrate badly. And the Tarot led the way with their stretched TT kit. There are others now, more expensive but still chinese origin. I doubt they are any better. The only plus I see with TT is the availability of the dual slider arm tail control system. It bolts right into place over the TT tail hub. http://www.alzrc-hobby.com/index.php...roducts_id=932

Once you stretch, the belt drive opens up a whole new much easier world.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevembusa View Post
Hi, guys

Winter is here, means more ground time than flying. So I'm kind surveying on my project to stretch 450 V2 fbl for 480 size. Probably many guys done that already, so hope sharing info here.

1.Since Align doesn't offer any stretch kit, have to using Tarot, Alzrc or something else. Any recomendation? Alzrc has stretch kit for $75, including Canopy and frame.

2. What blade should using, Alzrc has 360mm for $18, Lynx has new line of blades, 350mm for $25. Since stretching it, 360 is better?

3..Do I need to change tail grip or blade?

4. Does need to change any gain control on fbl unit to effect stretch? How about HS, should reduce little bit?
Wanted to weigh in here. Hope that is Okay, never commented here before. Parts from all is best. Alzrc for the frame. Good for 6S. The booms vary a bit in length. Might wish to trim yours. But, the TT, watch that closely as ALZRC TT is a bit too short under duress. Align Pitch slider, and use am using the 480 tail blade grips but think I will try the tarot 450 w thrust bearings. etc. Have not tried that yet. I have stretched a lot of these. And once you get it right, it flies very special!!
stevegross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reviving a very old thread, sorry.

Anyone know where I can get the MXL571 tail belt?

I use them in a slightly stretched trex500 with halo 450mm blades. I'm down to my last spare and can't find any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
No, just as Helihaven said. 420mm blades. MsComposites with a 6mm root. Stretched boom using a gates mxl571 belt and raised HH tail system.
The_crack_fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_crack_fox View Post
Reviving a very old thread, sorry.

Anyone know where I can get the MXL571 tail belt?

I use them in a slightly stretched trex500 with halo 450mm blades. I'm down to my last spare and can't find any more.
Try this place.

https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/?cid=p342

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in