Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Well...my flight started out good

Today I finally got out of the house long enough to fly my Blade 450 FBL.
It’s been about 2 months since I flew it so I was just doing “Skinny” figure eights.

About 4 minutes in, the heli started feeling really twitchy so I landed. I checked all of the major components and found nothing wrong so I turned my aileron and elevator dual rates down by 10%. It flew fine for a minute then got twitchy again so I tried to land but it was so uncontrollable that it took off heading away from me. It stated to dive so I tried to pull up but got no response from the elevator and my 450 went nose first into the ground.

I’ve been flying for a year and a half and had minor blade strikes and hard landings but this crash threw debris 5 feet into the air….it was quite spectacular. The canopy exploded into a shower of pieces. Half of each blade flew 15 feet away. But the tail, which I just worked on and replaced a bunch of pieces on yesterday, was untouched.

All of this leaves me wondering two things:

1. Why was the heli over responding to my inputs then just went wonky? Did I have my AR7200BX setup badly…if so, why did it fly wonderfully for the first bit of my flight?

2. Does anyone think this pack can ever be flown again…I mean it’s like $15 to replace it.

Anyways, here’s what’s left of it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	368227

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	368228

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	368229

Blade MCPX BL stretched, full Rakon upgrades
mombawamba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

DX8?
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No a DX6i. I was just thinking that my head assembly is now "modular"

Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It could be many things. Perhaps the elevator servo was failing and gave out? Perhaps vibrations? (the beastx is sensitive to vibes). Time to work on your wrenching skills! Bummer.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you make sure your RX initialized?
HankAz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beastx sensitive to vibes? never saw that that prob with 3 in operation and lifting off with a bent tailshaft, didnt know it was bent till after lifting off and vertical fin was waving badly.

What cyclic servos are you running?
Jr Vibe 50, Beastx, all Futaba servos OS55hz, Hatori sab 50, Radix
Punkin71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Discharge that lipo properly and chuck it
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the lipo is not pierced anywhere and get a cell voltage reading. If it looks ok charger it up and go for it.

Ive ding'ed up some packes before. have just man handled it back into shape and 50 flights latter its still going strong
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin71 View Post
Beastx sensitive to vibes? never saw that that prob with 3 in operation and lifting off with a bent tailshaft, didnt know it was bent till after lifting off and vertical fin was waving badly.

What cyclic servos are you running?
Yes it was initialized. I'm using Savox SH-0257MG's. I had just checked the gears and they were fine.

I'm going to call Spektrum to see if they can check my FBL unit.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey,

I had a similar thing happen to me. The flight was going well, then all of a sudden it hard nose dived into the pavement. Turned out the elevator servo had crapped out.

That was a month ago and I'm still waiting on the FBL main shaft to arrive.
Swedishe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too think it was vibrations. The BeastX is definitely sensitive to vibrations. Maybe in the first part of the flight, the RPMs were higher so the vibration harmonic was different, but when RPMs dropped after the first minute the vibration would be more present.. Or maybe a bearing somewhere started to give out, thus vibration could be possible.

A servo going bad, such as elevator servo, would have also caused your symptom.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Boy View Post
Check the lipo is not pierced anywhere and get a cell voltage reading. If it looks ok charger it up and go for it.

Ive ding'ed up some packes before. have just man handled it back into shape and 50 flights latter its still going strong
I'm no battery expert but this is what I've learned from those who are. When a lipo is dinged, dented, bent, twisted etc. etc. it develops internal deposits, salt?, that prevent the chemical reactions from taking place as efficiently as before and therefore the internal resistance goes up and the batteries ability to maintain voltage under load goes down.

If using a lipo with this type of damage works for you great but based on the previous I have started paying closer attention to the way I store, handle and strap my lipos down in the model just to try and make them last as long and strong as possible.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I admit I probably wouldn't fly a badly dented lipo.

Now if you're in a position to and can deal with all the eventualities of a lipo fire, sure give it a bash. Personally for peace of mine, I wouldn't, I'd just write it off.

I can't watch that pack all the time. Don't want it to cook off my other packs. Just imho.

spykez is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey all, thanks for the advice on the battery. I don't want to pay that much attention to my batteries so it's going into the sand/dis-charger then salt bath tomorrow.

As for the elevator servo I don't think it was a stripped gear (they're metal gears and the servo was new). However, I did notice that the Savox servo has a lot more travel than the stock servo so it could have had a binding problem. The thing that confuses me is that I thought I set the upper / lower travel limits so that it didn't bind when I did the beast-X setup

I think it's going to be one of those mystery crashes for a while.

For now my 450 will remain in three zip lock baggies...a much smaller storage foot print until I get it back together.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday my elevator servo froze in flight on my 450X. The ensuing crash sequence was pretty amazing but now I'm starting to wonder if the stock servo is up to the task in the elevator position. I'm not hearing about these types of failures in the aileron or pitch postiions. This was flight number 76 on my X. I've heard of some on here that have gotten many more flights than this with no probs so maybe I'll just plug a new stock servo in there but yikes.
1Way is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know when I bought my Blade 400 (basically the same heli) the first thing I did was install 3 Hitech 65MG servos and a 401 gyro. I think even this updated blade still has poor servos.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
I know when I bought my Blade 400 (basically the same heli) the first thing I did was install 3 Hitech 65MG servos and a 401 gyro. I think even this updated blade still has poor servos.
I've gone the B400 route as well and never had trouble with the servos but I wasn't pushing them as hard as I do now on the X. I was sure hoping the stock servos would do the job but that's not looking so good at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy Elevator servo died inflight

I also had my elevator servo froze during hovering. Did not know what it was initially. While hovering with tail in 20" up, it started a uncommanded forward flight. Fully aft elevator stick only stop it from going forward. Lower the heli make it go forward as well. So I climb a while, tried all means. As there was a river infront, I decided to throttle hold, and let it fall 50" down....

After the crash, I notice the elevator servo did not move while the other 2 servos move freely. All 3 servo gears are amazing intact (no clicking when hand push it up and down). Notice elevator servo need some push before it will go to the right position while powered. Seems like the elevator motor is weak.

This 450x stock elevator servo had only about 30 flight. The last time was also the stock elevator servo froze and heli crashed. But it was due to poor solidering of that servo wire. Bought a new stock servo to replace, and now this.

I am beginning to thinking the stock servo motor is not strong enough for the elevator...
Garyheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyheli View Post
I also had my elevator servo froze during hovering. Did not know what it was initially. While hovering with tail in 20" up, it started a uncommanded forward flight. Fully aft elevator stick only stop it from going forward. Lower the heli make it go forward as well. So I climb a while, tried all means. As there was a river infront, I decided to throttle hold, and let it fall 50" down....

After the crash, I notice the elevator servo did not move while the other 2 servos move freely. All 3 servo gears are amazing intact (no clicking when hand push it up and down). Notice elevator servo need some push before it will go to the right position while powered. Seems like the elevator motor is weak.

This 450x stock elevator servo had only about 30 flight. The last time was also the stock elevator servo froze and heli crashed. But it was due to poor solidering of that servo wire. Bought a new stock servo to replace, and now this.

I am beginning to thinking the stock servo motor is not strong enough for the elevator...
This sounds so similar to what I went through. The Heli kept going up and away and I couldn't bring it back or down safely so I was forced to hit TH. There was very little damage to it but I don't think I want to tempt the Heli gods again on this and am paying lots of attention to the 'Which servos are you running?' thread.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Problem found!

I think I found the problem. I plugged in the servos and put in a battery to see if my AR7200BX was damaged and found that the elevator servo is completely dead...no movement at all. Arrgggg why did that servo have to quit at such a bad time!!!

On the good side I found that my FBL unit is still working. It responds to all movements as expected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in