Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face Truly GREEN newbie need HELP!!!

Hi guys im getting back into the heli game after flying a fly-bared trex 500 with dx6i combo for a few months and practicing on the phoenix sim. So I decided to go bigger with a trex 600 a dx8 & the BD-3SX flybarless bailout system gyro. Anyhow I am truly as green as them come and fairly intimidated about getting this copter up and running. Below Ill give you a quick rundown on the setup and could use your help from there. If there are any local houstonians here I could come to you or vice versa and your assistance/hand holding would be invaluable but if not ill post ALOT of stupid newbie questions and pictures.

Setup Info:
T-rex 600
vwinrc flybarless head
align ds615 cyclic servos
align ds650 tail servo
turnigy 600 (1100kv motor)
turnigy dlux 70a sbec 6S batt setup( this one .... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...a_Logging.html )

So far ive done a little research and wanted some input. here we go, lol To start off when connecting the 3sx I am wanting to just run the 3sx and 2 spectrum dsmx sat's no receiver with the dx8. If this is a problem I have a spare ar6100e laying around I can connect, id rather not to keep down wiring and simplicity but I can use it or buy another recommended receiver. With that being said, how do I wire the 3sx up? I made a quick diagram to see if my thinking is right. Please correct me if im wrong.

Next is the radio customization I need to do with the moving of switches etc. like in this post

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=29

an then setup the radio with these settings like this post

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=36

as well as this guide

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=475520

As far as programming the 3sx using there software I will use the wizard but any advise or help would be great. Hopefully I can do all this on my own successfully but we shall see.
ICEMAN330824 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Servo 1 - Pit
Servo 2 - Ail
Servo 3 - Ele

(CCW when seen from above and Servo 3 in line with nose and tail)

Yes for setting up the DX8 like the mentioned posts.

I'm sure I posted the SPM from my DX8 somewhere. (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...32#post5645332)

Also check out popokatepetl's sticky for setting downloads. (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=536006). This helped with default setting for my X5.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know how much current you get out of that ESC but with sats you need enough to make sure you don't get voltage sag anywhere near 5.5. In fact keeping it from sagging below 6 is even safer.

If you don't there's a rebuild in your future; ask me how I know this

One of the very few problems with the 3SX is it doesn't like sats very much.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The AR6100 won't do you much good since you need 7 channels to fly your model and make full use of the 3SX. If you use a 6 channel RX you will have to give up TX control of tail gain so you have a channel for Rescue. Best to just use a 7 ch RX. DSMX Sats give you 8 channel so you are ok there but the Sats/3SX issue is the most discussed issue here. Some keys to success with Sats: Solid BEC set for 6V, DSMX Sats, 11ms Frame-rate (settable in your TX).

Just my opinion but the DX8 works fine. However, its older, more limited switch programming makes the preferred two-switch setup for SL and Rescue harder to do. There is a sticky though on how to do it and others here can help. The DX9 or DX18 are better choices only because they have more flexible switch programming. The DX18 sticky shows how to use two mixes to program a 3-way switch for Rigid and SL and a push button for Rescue

How to connect: download the manual and please read it carefully
How to program: Watch the setup videos and then start working through the wizard. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours the first time. It is not hard or complicated but needs to be done carefully so you don't miss anything.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill View Post
I don't know how much current you get out of that ESC but with sats you need enough to make sure you don't get voltage sag anywhere near 5.5. In fact keeping it from sagging below 6 is even safer.

If you don't there's a rebuild in your future; ask me how I know this …

One of the very few problems with the 3SX is it doesn't like sats very much.
Ok so your suggesting I run this along with my esc? http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creatio.../dp/B000MXAR12

or just ditch my esc and run this one and set bec voltage to 6
http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creatio.../dp/B00CSXSC5W
Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Servo 1 - Pit
Servo 2 - Ail
Servo 3 - Ele

(CCW when seen from above and Servo 3 in line with nose and tail)

Yes for setting up the DX8 like the mentioned posts.

I'm sure I posted the SPM from my DX8 somewhere. (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...32#post5645332)

Also check out popokatepetl's sticky for setting downloads. (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=536006). This helped with default setting for my X5.
Great, thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN330824 View Post
I run the CCPro set at 6V, with the CCbec you posted when flying on 6s I was told would limit you to about 3A max ouput. I tried one and I would still get brownouts with it but after going to the CCPro the brownout problem disappeared.

My heli electronic setup is CCIce2 75A (red power wire disconnected) , align ds510m cyclic servos, Align ds520m tail servo, and CCPro bec.

You may be able, depending upon which servos you are using, to fly on the internal bec or the bec you linked, but for the money I would use something more substantial like the CCPro, WR, etc., there are many, just be sure that it can sustain 10A using a 6s battey.

Hope this helps.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's 5a continuous for cc bec at 6s, but that isn't enough for a 600. Get the ccpro or another bec with 10a continuous or more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

or forget the Sats and use a 7ch RX
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
or forget the Sats and use a 7ch RX
I don't know where I would put a Rx on my trex 500, , I guess I have a sat on the tail block that would be gone with a RX system and then the Rx could go there but then I'd have to purchase a longer loom.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

if I could fit an AR8000 and TM1000 on a 450x, you can fit it on a Trex 500
Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know. Its all tradeoffs. Smaller models have limited space. I don't have an RX on my 550. I use the Sats but I have the BEC Pro AND and 5S NiMh buffer battery. It's just the Sat thing keeps coming up again and again. Just seems like if you have room for a CC BEC Pro, then you have room for an RX.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I know. Its all tradeoffs. Smaller models have limited space. I don't have an RX on my 550. I use the Sats but I have the BEC Pro AND and 5S NiMh buffer battery. It's just the Sat thing keeps coming up again and again. Just seems like if you have room for a CC BEC Pro, then you have room for an RX.
Ok I think im going to run the sat's, how would I wire the (cc bec pro) to go along with my current turnigy dlux esc or cc 75a ice esc since they have built in bec's? and how would all this plug into the bd-3sx like my diagram above?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

take a look at this
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ro_wiring.html

where it says Receiver, you will have your 3SX. The cable from your ESC will go to Output Throttle pins on the 3SX and you have to cut the red wire on that plug if your ESC has its own internal BEC.

The issue is you don't want two different BEC's in parallel on the +V bus.

The BEC pro has two plugs. You don't have to use them both but you can. One should go to the Servo4 plug. The second can go to the Input Sbus pins, or you can use a Y-cable on one of the servo plugs or the USB plug.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't see the sats as a problem once we got past the initial brownouts and we finally understood what was going on. I just use the full receiver in the bigger birds for the telemetry data for holds and for Rx pack voltage warning just as a double check, my 500 I just fly with an alarm if I have it with me.

jrwalte, yah I know I'm just not as worried about the smaller bird as I am the bigger ones so adding telemetry isn't that big deal versus the extra equipment on it. But I guess I still have a spot on the side frame behind the ESC and a spot on the from on the other side behind the CCPro,
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
take a look at this
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ro_wiring.html

where it says Receiver, you will have your 3SX. The cable from your ESC will go to Output Throttle pins on the 3SX and you have to cut the red wire on that plug if your ESC has its own internal BEC.

The issue is you don't want two different BEC's in parallel on the +V bus.

The BEC pro has two plugs. You don't have to use them both but you can. One should go to the Servo4 plug. The second can go to the Input Sbus pins, or you can use a Y-cable on one of the servo plugs or the USB plug.
Excellent, thanks I will prob go with the wiring of bec pro of "One should go to the Servo4 plug. The second can go to the Input Sbus pins"
Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN330824 View Post
That would be minimal. I'd go with the CC BEC Pro set for 6 bolts. It'll give your plenty of current and peace of mind.

I'm running it on both my 500 and my 550 each with 3SX's no problems at all since I went that route.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill View Post
That would be minimal. I'd go with the CC BEC Pro set for 6 bolts. It'll give your plenty of current and peace of mind.

I'm running it on both my 500 and my 550 each with 3SX's no problems at all since I went that route.
+1
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do what you want but I wouldn't cut the red wire. Use a small screw driver to remove the pin, fold it back and cover it with some shrink tube. That way you can still sell it later if you go with something else. Just my opinion.

I currently run a YGE 90LV with cap pack 5 on it, savox servos all around and dual DSMX sats. I have not had a single brown out.
2004sccobra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Some keys to success with Sats: Solid BEC set for 6V, DSMX Sats, 11ms Frame-rate (settable in your TX)
Ok just to be clear your saying to set the CC BEC PRO to 6amps or 10amps ????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in