Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation DX8 Pitifully Dim Backlight?

Just got my Christmas present...a brand new DX8 Radio. Loaded latest firmware 2.06.

This thing has a PITIFULLY dim back light! See the attached photo of the DX8 sitting next to my cheapo $20 multimeter in a normal/ambient lit den.

Yes, I've been through system settings and played with contrast and back light settings. Backlight STILL gets a failing grade in my book. Even my (let me be kind) "econo" Walkera DEVO 8's display is much brighter.. . . and that thing is useless in bright sunlight. The JR radios I've seen seem to have ample back lighting.

I saw the mods for adding a backlight to the DX6i model. Are the aftermarket backlight panels in those significantly brighter? I'm ready to do a mod on my brand new DX8! . Helloooo SPEkTRUM...anyone home??

OP

PS - My DX8 unit was shipped WITH a 128MB memory card. Card worked FINE in my computer and camera but would NOT cooperate for the firmware upgrade process...even after a reformatting. The radio itself would CHANGE the name of the firmware file, yes actually rename the original firmware file on the SD card...and never load the upgraded firmware file when SD card that was shipped with my unit was used.

Had to use another old SD card I had laying around and it uploaded fine. Draw your own conclusions about quality control there.

So far...we are off to a rocky and unpleasant start...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2029.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	377481  
onepiece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe cataract surgery??

G.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyji View Post
Maybe cataract surgery??

G.

Tried that too - - - but the firmware STILL won't update with the SPEkTRUM supplied SD card ;-)

OP

PS - Note photo in original post...that too was taken after the surgery :-)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepiece View Post
PS - My DX8 unit was shipped WITH a 128MB memory card. Card worked FINE in my computer and camera but would NOT cooperate for the firmware upgrade process...even after a reformatting. The radio itself would CHANGE the name of the firmware file, yes actually rename the original firmware file on the SD card...and never load the upgraded firmware file when SD card that was shipped with my unit was used.

Had to use another old SD card I had laying around and it uploaded fine. Draw your own conclusions about quality control there.

So far...we are off to a rocky and unpleasant start...

Thanks for that tip...I bought a DX8 yesterday and had the same issue trying to update from 2.02 to 2.06. I didn't try formatting my card, but just used another card I had.

Once completed i exported and then imported my (test) model files to the supplied card and it seemed to work fine; not sure why the firmware itself is a problem.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyji View Post
Maybe cataract surgery??

G.
LOL!
kenkadish is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Something's not right mine is way brighter.
XSTAR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

Yep,

As I suspected...the guys at the flying field who use DX8s all have somewhat brighter displays. I'll have to send mine back for re-work/warranty.

Oh joy - out of service for at least a month and a half while it makes the round trip journey.

OP

Now I've wasted all that money on cataract surgery for nuthin . . . It didn't fix the firmware issue either.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The firmware issue is the same I had with my new one when I got it in September. I tossed the supplied card and am using an old one from a camera. It is working fine. Seems like Spektrum got a bad batch of sd cards.

When I called them about the problem they thanked me for the call but didn't replace the sd card. Something about the sd card just being a freebie they provide us with the dx8, so it wasn't covered.

I am happy with my backlit screen, anything is better than the screen on my dx6i.
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

That little voice inside tells me Futaba would have taken responsibility for EVERY piece of their Radio package...including a SD card.

I'm becoming more disillusioned with SPEktTRUM's after sales service with every contact...and I've had plenty including with a separate DX 7 issue.

Good data point! I still point to my photo in starter thread of the cheapo $20 multimeter's backlight compared with the $300+ SPEkTRUM's backlight. Which backlight would YOU prefer to use after work at dusk or in high noon sunlight??
Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, at dusk, the screen doesn't have to be very bright since it's almost dark. Same goes for bright sun light; the light from the sun is more than adequate for viewing the info. I'd be more concerned with watching the model. And yes, I use telemetry, but I have alarms in place to keep my eyes on my model as much as possible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2!
Planes: Crack Yak, Habu, F-27Q Stryker, T-28D, UM P-51D, P-51 BL, UM SU-26XP, P-47D, UMX Beast v1 & 3D, UMX Sbach 342, UMX Extra 300 3D, UM F-27Q Stryker, H9 Mustang 40, UM Mosquito, Sky Angel 650mm Mustang/550mm FW190, FMS B-25, 64mm Mig-15 XG11 DX8
ElIntocable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
backlight, dx8 spectrum radio issue, firmware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in