Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Scale Projects <790

Scale Projects <790 Scale Projects <790 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This afternoon was very productive. I got the floor ready for installation and found a better way to support it while fitting. I was putting pressure on the floor to make it fit or guide it into postion and the back of the floor kept collapsing so I made up a couple of jacks to take care of that. The space under the front floor will remain open and when I get more into the interior, I will be adding control linkages that run across the opening from pilots pedals to weapons officers pedals and will make the redirect in the middle. Man, I need that instrument panel and weapons sight system......

Don

Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

What a great build, I'm glad to have found it.

I just posted a similar build I'm doing in the realtime video and FPV section of the forum, it's great to see some of the ideas you've come up with here and I'm sure I'll be stealing a few
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thanks for the compliments. I will make a post in your thread about your heli as i have seen it online.

Things are getting closer today. The floor and seat structure are in and painting has continued in the back. Although no pictures of it, the backside of the shoulder wall is painted and the door inserts are done as well. As I was going about fitting the seat, I kept on running into the battery installed on the front of the rear floor in trying to make the seat structure. I wasn't hitting it physically, but every time I wanted to put the seat at one spot or another, the battery kept on forcing me to make the angle a lot greater than 90 degrees. That's no good

I got so fed up with it, I removed the battery velcro, cut the nose of the rear floor off, and will mount the battery on the framework below the floor but right in front and below where it was. I said to myself as I cut the offensive part off, "That's enough of that crap", and tossed the remains in the garbage. Now comes the fidgety stuff, you know, the little tiny wood pieces that fill the holes in and become the covers for the ground electrical connection and the cover for the pilot's collective stick. I have a lot of modification to do to the ones coming or I will just make one up of my own, as it is that drastically different to the Weapons Officer's unit. One thing is for sure, I will NOT need to add any weight to the nose of this bird. I am not mounting the light cover until I get a better look at the real unit or the instrument panel comes in, which ever is first (none of my current views are good enough to make a positive assessment of how it is covered in. Take care.

Don

Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MD500 TOW Defender Logo 500 Build

What pushrod are you using on the tail there by the way?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

zeeflyboy:

I am using a wire Sullivan pushrod inside the standard inner rod and that is then run through the regular outer red rod. I am using the old carbon fibre guide to hold the front of the pushrod in line with the servo and the entire rod is held to the boom with JB Weld (form of industrial adheasive) so those quick ties are completely gone that are used in the photo as they were there only to verify that the rod system would work.

I got some more work done on the seating bench and the battery situation is fully sorted out now. I still have hours to go filling in the two sides of the bench, sigh........

Don

Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

So the question is, "What goes in that cutout in the bench?" This part.

I also finished off the sides of the bench and it is now time for sanding and waiting.........

I hate the waiting part......

That means I have to find more details to build, sigh. Take care.

Don

Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Such meticulous and beautiful work! Thanks for sharing it in this build thread. Can't wait to see what it ends up looking like.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I got some pictures of the heli with the chassis installed, TOW launchers on, and the cockpit as complete as above. The heli is still tail heavy!!!! I am not worried about the overall weight as the body will be somewhere over 3.5 pounds complete which is not much different than a standard body with a double motor battery system. Man, those blades are still too far away, sigh.........

Don

Rear walls do their job very nicely

Detail shots of the head, swashplate, and linkages. No trimming was needed at all.

General heli shots with no canopy or pilots

Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I thought I would put in the crew and add the two front canopy pieces for the look-see. The canopy is being replaced as it has two large cracks in it from shipping. Take care.

Don

Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
......The canopy is being replaced as it has two large cracks in it from shipping. Take care.

Don
Might just add to the "scale" weathered look as battle damage.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Don,

Very nice and neat works on the wooden parts/bulkheads...where do you get the figures?
what scale are they? they are life-like looking and very detailed!

Cheers,
Helikid
HeliKid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I am pretty sure they had some "Hanger Queens" from which to rob parts from, lol. It does not show in the pictures but it is really obvious as one part of the crack is nearly three inches long.

Anyway, I have run into a standstill as I now really need the instrument panels to continue work on it but some good news came today and that is the blades have arrived at the distibutor so they should be here next week. Of course, as you run out of work, other stuff fills its place. I had been looking at the back of the doghouse for some time as there is a light there at the top. I think it is to give a soft light source to light up the tail for positional flying at night while landing, if I had to go for broke with a guess. I did this after dinner and may get it installed tomorrow. I had this last week at the fly-in for micros but it was not this far along. When I show up with it in this conditon, there should be a comment or two about it. I will give a base coat on the wood tomorrow but a trip to the LHS for turnbuckles will be the order of the day. Who knows, I may do it tonight, lol. Take care.

Don

Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thanks, HeliKid.

Those figures are from the collector catagory of dolls. The Pilot is from DAM Toys and was dressed in the camo outfit from the Special Forces group that was part of the Somolia campaign. He was a marksman but has been outfitted with the equipement that goes with a SOAR pilot figure. It is an actual reproduction of a SOAR pilot from the US Army's 160th group but the face is not in the same league as the two there now. Bruce Willis came outfitted as a Navy Seal from a movie so his outfit was canned and a new one bought that matched the Pilot's. I tied up as much money on those two as I did with the body. Bruce is out of production and so is the 160th SOAR pilot but the Special Forces Marksman is a current figure. Those SOAR helmets are really cool but I could only get a hold of the one so I will need to add the night vision system to Bruce that is on the other unused figure. They certainly are no Ken, lol. Take care.

Don
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks great so far - you definitely are skilled with your woodwork!

The figures look great too - I thought 1/6 would be a touch large for this but they look perfect. Now my 10" guys look a bit small to me... Might have to order a 12" just to see how it all fits with mine.

edit - could you do me a favour if you have a moment? Take a measurement from bottom of seat to top of head -thanks if so!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I have made up this cockpit based on actual measurements that I could gleen from a manual so they should be reasonable close. I go off the door bottom (cockpit floor level) up 2 1/8" to the top of the bench (the seats are not in yet and will be severely modified to give me the shape only). The figures sit about 6.5" from butt to helmet top and clear the canopy with a reasonable amount of clearance. The chassis cover pushes them forward from where they would really sit back at and that causes a slightly odd positioning until I get the seats, fill the inside with the cushion, and fit the back to the protrusion of the cover. Then they should sit ok. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm... 6.5" is about 2/3" higher than my current ones and should still clear the canopy.

I may order one to test with, cheers for that. They sure aren't cheap for the good looking ones though!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I got the light installed this morning and reworked how the chassis goes in and out. First and foremost, if it went in one way with no issues and something is added, don't place it so that it becomes a hazard or makes it ten times more difficult to install after adding the object. I took i out to three different hobby shops and there was no doubt, it's a show stopper. Most could not get over the complexity of the entire heli and were blown away by the figures. I still can't get over being able to find them here. Wait until the guy I bought them from sees this bird. I was able to take some pictures, finally, of the entire heli as it sits right now. I don't have too much room but I did forget about using the sofa with a sheet on it as a temporary studio. Of all people, I should have remembered that, lol. Take care.

Don

This installation is not finished by any means, lol

Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow looking great!
you know they make this Baltic birch in 3mm too... LOL save on the weight
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Weight is not an issue. The battery is so far back in the chassis that more weight was needed in the short nose of this heli anyway. It is birch ply, lol. All the building is now over and some very light panels are the only things left to install. I know they don't weight much as I have one for the Jet Ranger and it is fairly light for its size and may be actually larger than the one going in this heli.

Don't give me an hour with nothing to build on my heli, I end up fabricating stuff to do, lol. I got home this evening and after dinner, I switched the links on the head to titanium turnbuckles and made up two rear door handles as the blobs need to go. I also have scale hinges on their way for the front of the door. I went out to a weekly fun fly with my wife and took some nicer low angle shots of the heli and a small walkaround with all the lights on and the TOW sight working. Man, those blades can't get here fast enough, lol. Take care.

Don

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DgkvrukHw[/ame]
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looky pretty sharp man, looking forward to seeing the work on the cockpit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in