Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Phoenix Transmitter setup

I have searched high/low and can't find my answer. I have a MCPX V2 and DX6i and of course Phoenix. I am unclear if I should program the setup (curves, D/R, travel adjust, etc.) into the simulator or the transmitter itself.

I thought that the proper way was to setup a new model in the DX6i, call it "simulator" or etc. and then do all the programming setup in the Phoenix simulator. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or point me to the right thread? Thanks.
bronks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's very much down to what you prefer. Me, I have all the curves, expo and d/r on the tx while others swear by having the sim taking care of all of that.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put whatever I can on the sim. That way I may be able to avoid using upa Dx6i slot.
BrettOssman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronks View Post
I have searched high/low and can't find my answer. I have a MCPX V2 and DX6i and of course Phoenix. I am unclear if I should program the setup (curves, D/R, travel adjust, etc.) into the simulator or the transmitter itself.

I thought that the proper way was to setup a new model in the DX6i, call it "simulator" or etc. and then do all the programming setup in the Phoenix simulator. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or point me to the right thread? Thanks.
Like it's been said, it is somewhat up to personal preference, but here are some guidelines that can help you decide.

For a quick start, create a blank, all-default, 1-servo heli model in your real transmitter, and as you said, call it SIM or something. If you want to fly inverted, then you'll need to also add in a V-shaped throttle curve for idle-up / stunt mode, as I believe there is none in the default blank model. Also nice to program the Throttle Hold switch to set throttle to zero, if you have that. You'll have to do the calibration step inside Phoenix RC. Now this SIM transmitter model can be used for simming pretty much everything and anything inside Phoenix without any adjustments to the transmitter. Just pick your model inside Phoenix and fly planes, helis, whatever. Inside Phoenix you can tweak the Phoenix transmitter setup a little and of course each individual model can be finely tuned.

Other folks like to just fly only a single model in Phoenix and really go for matching the Phoenix model to their heli's exact feel. In this case it might make sense to have a Transmitter model that starts with whatever they are using for their real heli. Keep in mind, this might make it difficult to fly other models in the sim.

It is generally recognized that Phoenix does not emulate the small / micro helis very well and it is fairly a waste of time to spend very much time tuning Phoenix or your Tx to emulate an mCPX accurately. Honestly, from someone who has spent a lot of time in the simulator, you are going to learn a lot faster and the skills will transfer better if you use Phoenix with the larger models.

Really. Practice with the Trex 700 (or similar size (at least 500 size) in Phoenix to get your basic skills down. The knowledge *will* transfer well to flying your real mCPX. Reallly. I kid you not. Flying the mCPX inside Phoenix is not going to help you as much.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good tips guys, thanks. I do have a trex 500 programmed and a trex 450 on my bench thats getting built. I have had a session with Captain Jack a while back too. What do you mean by a V shaped throttle curve? Is it linear (0 at pos. L and 100 at pos. H) for Fmode 0 and 100 at pos. L, 0 at pos. 3, and 100 at pos. H for Fmode 1? And is the throttle hold 0 switch +100 at pos. 0 and 0 when the switch is on 1? hope i am asking right questions.
bronks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

V-curve, that's one with the first and last points having higher values than the mid point, giving a v-like shape on the screen and more throttle at low and high stick than mid stick.

The idea is that when you increase pitch (positive OR negative) that will increase the workload on the engine so you need more throttle to keep the RPM constant. At zero pitch you need less throttle to prevent everything from over-revving.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
mpcx, phoenix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in