Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: Which is the best of the best manufacturer for "Kit Quality"
Gazar (Posidion manufacture) 0 0%
Airstar 1 0.55%
JR brand 2 1.09%
Gaui (home of the famed x5 and x7) 8 4.37%
Beam 2 1.09%
Compass 22 12.02%
Henseleit (TDR fame) 34 18.58%
MSH (PROTOS fame) 4 2.19%
Hirobo 5 2.73%
Thunder Tiger 3 1.64%
Align 26 14.21%
SAB (home of the Goblin) 21 11.48%
TSA (designer of the INFUSION) 1 0.55%
X-cell (home of the WHIPLASH) 21 11.48%
An unmentioned brand 33 18.03%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Too many biased opinions IMO. LoL
I'm biased towards MinAir cuz they're the best quality manuafactured helicopter and that's what I own and fly.

I do have to say the JS frenzy models fly very well and the kits are great for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
On a purely design and quality of materials and execution

Tier 1 - My take is that these are all the highest of the high quality kits out there.

Henseleit - minimalist perfection
Kasama - mechanical ecstasy
Minicopter - similar to a Henseleit / Banshee mix designwise and Henseleit qualitywise.
Banshee - unobtanium

Tier 2 - Then come the highest quality mass produced helis
Mikado
Synergy
Thunder Tiger
etc..

Tier 2.5 - I found these hard to place
MSH
Compass

Tier 3 - Then come the mass produced kits that aren't quite as high quality
Saab
Align
etc...

Tier 4 - Mass produced helis a spot lower
Blade

There are MANY solid kits available today that make very prudent design decisions that help reduce kit costs and fly very well and that have great support and parts availability.

Why did you throw a bankrupt automobile company in the mix?
seefest is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Why did you throw a bankrupt automobile company in the mix?
Whoops! I fixed it.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: "Best of the Best" Heli Manufacturer for "Kit Quality" (Poll)

Quote:
For all who voted SAB, you're out of your minds! I love mine, but they have had some serious issues.
Aluminum pinions that wear out after 50 flights
Main and secondary shaft Jesus bolts that sheer off in flight
Tail pulleys that blow up
Tail grip bolts that sheer off in flight
Main blade grip links that sheer off in flight.
Inferior finish quality on the booms and canopies.

Add to that we're hearing reports of main shafts that need to be sanded down to fit the bearings and recalled tail grip bolts which are STILL shearing off.

Mediocre quality at best, but still an awesome machine IMHO.

This poll is useless, people vote, "what I own is the best", nothing more. I've never been of that mindset.
You're pointing out issues that SAB corrected very quickly. If you're still using an aluminum pinion that is your fault. I have 3 Goblins and have had 0 issues. Just do the recommended upgrades and you'll be fine. They are cheap upgrades and some are even free!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
aviator493 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator493 View Post
You're pointing out issues that SAB corrected very quickly. If you're still using an aluminum pinion that is your fault. I have 3 Goblins and have had 0 issues. Just do the recommended upgrades and you'll be fine. They are cheap upgrades and some are even free!

Please don't put words in my mouth. Who said I was still using an aluminum pinion?

They were VERY serious DESIGN flaws that shouldn't have made it to production kits. (by serious I mean could have brought down the heli). Not using shouldered jesus bolts????? Bush league design IMHO.

Shafts are STILL being produced in new kits that don't fit. You should not have to polish or sand down a shaft to make it fit on a $3000 helicopter.

Tail booms are STILL coming out of the factory with very poor fit and finish. There were a bunch that made it out with the wrong angle at the attachment point, that were adding to boom strike issues because there wasn't enough clearance between the mains and the boom.

Just remember, its OK to not drink the Goblin coolaid, but you sound like a "its the best because its what I own" kind of guy!

Like I said, its an awesome machine and I'd buy another, but its quality IS mediocre.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Voted Align..Been flying them close to 5 years and owned every size other than the Trex 800..Owned a few other brands here and there but always stuck with Align due to quality reasons with other brands or the way they fly.
Lots of my Aligns have made it over 100-200 problem free flights getting ragged on daily without any issues.Only time something broke was hitting the ground...
Did snap the main grip stand-off on my 600N clean off in fight but I was also useing a damaged grip.
TT gear on my Trex 550 stripped twice in flight but I used aftermarket frames which had sloppy gear mesh.
Other than that which is user error,there problem free fo me..
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth. Who said I was still using an aluminum pinion?

They were VERY serious DESIGN flaws that shouldn't have made it to production kits. (by serious I mean could have brought down the heli). Not using shouldered jesus bolts????? Bush league design IMHO.

Shafts are STILL being produced in new kits that don't fit. You should not have to polish or sand down a shaft to make it fit on a $3000 helicopter.

Tail booms are STILL coming out of the factory with very poor fit and finish. There were a bunch that made it out with the wrong angle at the attachment point, that were adding to boom strike issues because there wasn't enough clearance between the mains and the boom.

Just remember, its OK to not drink the Goblin coolaid, but you sound like a "its the best because its what I own" kind of guy!

Like I said, its an awesome machine and I'd buy another, but its quality IS mediocre.
Well worded.

I love the design of my Protos 500. However it has had some QC issues like tail hubs with the hole off center and a few other issues. A thrusted bearing tail hub upgrade took care of that issue, and a couple alloy upgrades fixed up the rest. The documentation is a bit scattered, and a few things are just inconvenient like having to purchase a FBL head upgrade, and 90 degree base in addition to the kit.

It is easy to call the design of the Protos better than Align, but the part quality and documentation isn't anywhere near that in my TDR kit. It is a completely different league.

I have no problem loving something that isn't the best of the best. It serves a purpose and I love how it flies.

My T550 hasn't gotten much love from me, but I'm going to get some utility from it before I rekit it as something I will love more.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Your post made me believe you were given the fact you posted a given amount of flights before it failed. Just be sure you give both sides of the story ie. SAB does correct issues. If they hadn't, I wouldn't keep building them. Sorry, I just haven't had any of these issues. Only issue I've ever had was a sloppy tail on my 700, yet it flys just fine.

$3000.00 dollar heli? Um, no... Maybe a Banshee kit! You may want to find a new dealer, my 770 was only 1080. I'm not a SAB fanboy, and don't drink coolaid from any manufacturer. I build and fly what looks cool, easy to get parts and just overall makes me happy.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Wings View Post
If your going to put polls up like this you need to do a bit more research..

As already mentioned you have missed Mikado their new Xxtreme kits are top quality and hard to beat even when compared to the TDR, Minicopter Diabolo and Kasama of this world..

You cant include companies like Align, Compass and SAB...etc whilst being good kits and excellent flying helis they arnt in the "Best of the Best".

Henseleit
Minicopter
Mikado
Kasama
Synergy
Thunder Tiger (e720/G4 only).
Miniature Aircraft.
JR
Hirobo

Maybe a couple of others could sneak onto the list but the others just arnt in the aboves league.. Align will always get votes due to its popularity and the fact its the owners first "real" kit heli and are comparing them to Blades, Walkera...etc or have only ever build Align helis...

just my 2cents
your 2 cents are right on I have a freind who owns about all of these. Now for the top 2 they are a toss up TDR is sick and the Diablo is sick as well and these helis can 3d but are intended for speed. Now Mikado is tippy top dog for quality in the 3d department followed by synergy. Also this x7 im building is pretty high quality as well and that is what I hoped for as I wanted to try it and dont get me wrong I will have the xxtreme 700 but ill beat this x7 up a bit and see how she goes.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator493 View Post
Your post made me believe you were given the fact you posted a given amount of flights before it failed. Just be sure you give both sides of the story ie. SAB does correct issues. If they hadn't, I wouldn't keep building them. Sorry, I just haven't had any of these issues. Only issue I've ever had was a sloppy tail on my 700, yet it flys just fine.

$3000.00 dollar heli? Um, no... Maybe a Banshee kit! You may want to find a new dealer, my 770 was only 1080. I'm not a SAB fanboy, and don't drink coolaid from any manufacturer. I build and fly what looks cool, easy to get parts and just overall makes me happy.

$3000 all up. Last I checked, a bare airframe won't fly. Do they in SAB fanboy world? LOL.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't believe there's not more love for Miniature Aircraft

What are your guys thoughts on the their helis overall?

I'm new and thinking of going MA for local parts support

They are completely USA made correct?
nickypoo is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
$3000 all up. Last I checked, a bare airframe won't fly. Do they in SAB fanboy world? LOL.
It's a 1000 dollar kit. Yes avionics will add up quick but you were referring to "the quality of a 3000 dollar heli" which it is not. It's a 1000 dollar heli with "good" quality. Maybe if your posts were more complete and not one sided, this would not be an issue. Again, not a "SAB Fanboy" as you keep implying. In fact, SAB helis only account for 1/5 of my helis.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickypoo View Post
I can't believe there's not more love for Miniature Aircraft

What are your guys thoughts on the their helis overall?

I'm new and thinking of going MA for local parts support

They are completely USA made correct?
Never flown one, but several guys at my club have them with nothing but good things to say about it. Definitely one I may try out one day. I may buy a NX4 next, thing looks awesome!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't honestly compare, because I have only built helis from Compass and Align

I think the quality of the parts is excellent from both manufacturers

Yeah, there are some small design nits I would like to pick

They all fly nicely at my current level of pilot skill
Old 01-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have built kits from Align and SAB, and SAB wins hands down. The Align parts came in assorted, poorly labeled bags, with instructions written in Engrish, and maybe a few pictures in the whole thing. The SAB kit was packed spectacularly. All the metal parts were packed in foam trays, and all small parts were individually bagged in very nicely labeled bags. Instructions were very clear and included color pictures of each step that specifically referenced which tray/bag every part was contained in. SAB hands down!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can agree with Kasamas being an engineering feat above all others. Min-airs used to be similar in design/engineering but can't say I'm as impressed by current offerings (although they are still pretty good overall). I think the SG is worthy of top tier recognition, but they're not very common and probably don't get a lot of recognition.

I know I own one and it could construed as biasing, but the Avant Auroras are incredibly well engineered and put together. Most people don't have access to the Avant forums, but just looking at how much detail and thought that went into designing the ball links showed me how much effort went into making it a top-notch design. Maybe it doesn't quite fit into top-tier, but I'd give it a good 1.5 to 2 in overall quality.

Is Avro Blitz out of the running as well?
skunkworx is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default JetCat

Anything from the folks at JetCat turbines.
But have only an Align to date.

Chas
Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Traxxas QR-1 RealFlight Drone 6.5
ChasCS is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You are both wrong.. the SAB 700 airframe is only $879 All other additional items don't count in 'kit quality'. That price is on par with many brands and cheaper than some. It's an amazing heli from my build experience... in my build thread I commented it felt like I was working on a watch... of course I just bought mine 4 weeks ago and all early issues are corrected.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not voting but having owned jr sylphide, couple of Ma machines raptors, vibes, tdr's,all the logos, compass. Best of the best banshee which is to be expected, followed by tdr, then the jr's, Raptor e720 then mikado (really guys they are not superb quality but they do fly well for sure and are reliable) then compass which also flies very well.but some question marks on durability of some parts, My Ma helis had shafts that didnt fit swashes that didnt fit so i rate them lowest of this bunch. The biggest surprise possibly the rappy e 720 which seems to take as much abuse you can throw at it without needing any maintenance. Havent owned multicopter diabolo but i would rate it evens with tdr. My keepers are rappy, banshee and tdr, cpass i sold and logo 700 xtreme you can twist my arm, e8 is awesome 600 size machine, superb quality but not best layout for batteries etc, impossible to get cg spot on. My friends have x7 and Goblin, x7 i rate higher than goblin for quality but there had been some issues albeit minor. Most underrated heli of all..raptor e720. Most overrated, sadly the xtreme 700 for me. Best value for flight performance cpass 7 hv. Best logo for me the 600 3d, also must give price for best heli to learn 3 d with to l600
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_Tanerite View Post
I have built kits from Align and SAB, and SAB wins hands down. The Align parts came in assorted, poorly labeled bags, with instructions written in Engrish, and maybe a few pictures in the whole thing. The SAB kit was packed spectacularly. All the metal parts were packed in foam trays, and all small parts were individually bagged in very nicely labeled bags. Instructions were very clear and included color pictures of each step that specifically referenced which tray/bag every part was contained in. SAB hands down!
The manual doesn't make the quality/build of a heli bad ..
My 3 1/2 year old can read the Align manuals so its not that bad .He can even read the well labled parts bags and knows where everything gos.Again,the manual/parts packed doesn't make the quality of the kit bad..
If you think the Align manual is bad,go through a MA manual..I had 2 and the manuals look like blue-prints...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in