Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #41 (permalink)
SB
Registered Users

My HF Map location

as for the backlight LCD its not over yet i've tried a few different ideas with little success so i'm was looking through one of my electronical engenering books. wam i think i got it. all for about $25 too. as soon as the parts come in and if it works i'll be all over posting it.
Thanks for your patients
SB
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default EL Sheet

What about the posibility of using an EL Sheet cut to the appropriate size and placed under the LCD? Would that work?

http://www.beingseen.com/sheets.html
X9303
HELINHAWAII is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELINHAWAII View Post
What about the posibility of using an EL Sheet cut to the appropriate size and placed under the LCD? Would that work?
Seems like that would work, but I'd be just a tad nervous about the high freq current interfering with the TX.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I didn't want to drill any holes at this point, (until the warrenty period is over). I don't use Aux2, so pulled the switch, leaving it inside the transmitter, (wrapped in electrical tape so it can't short anything out), and mounted my LED in its place.
I didn't want the LED too bright, so I put around a 2K resister inline if I recall.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3230.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	37325  
Other Blingers:
Deering Golden Era Banjo
LG100ZM competition air rifle w/20-50x60 scope (http://www.compufoil.com/images/eric_on_the_range.jpg)
Mathews SwitchbackXT Bow
CompuFoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

For backlighting you need to remove the existing reflective sheet, then put in the backlight. I put a kit from eBay into my Triton charger.

Another way to backlight is to use a piece of acrylic and a white LED. The backlights for my CellPros use this. The acrylic sheet is end lit by the LED.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #46 (permalink)

This guy did it with an EL sheet. I like to know how he did it.

The MB-Commander unit. (0 min 46 sec)
Gino CP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
For backlighting you need to remove the existing reflective sheet, then put in the backlight. I put a kit from eBay into my Triton charger.

Another way to backlight is to use a piece of acrylic and a white LED. The backlights for my CellPros use this. The acrylic sheet is end lit by the LED.
where do ya put the acrylic sheet. we did that in the air force for our status board, but not sure how to do it on the dx7.
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
shaggybirdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 04:23 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP View Post
This guy did it with an EL sheet. I like to know how he did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krONshYigiU
Here's a video on how EL sheets work.

http://revision3.com/systm/kiki

I know this post is a little old, but I'm wanting to do this as well. As Pinecone said, you'd have to peel the silver backing off the LCD screen and stick the EL sheet behind it. The only tricky part is getting/finding an inverter. A small sheet like that could probably run off of 12 volts, but you still need to convert the DC to AC for the sheet to work. I'm more afraid of it frying any componets inside the case. I'm thinking of doing the EL or just do the acrylic sheet and shine an LCD though the sides of the sheet. Wont be as clean looking as the EL sheet, but will light up the screen.
dwhitney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't follow every link in this thread... sorry if this was posted before, but for the future Freaks out there, there are several LED resistor calculators on the web. Such as this one: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

You need to know 3 things:
The supply voltage- DX7 would be safe to use 11.0v.
The LEDs forward voltage and forward current- This is usually on the back of the LED package or supplied data sheet. (2.1v and 20 ma. respectively are typical.)

Plug these into the calculator and you get 470 ohms!

For those who wish to learn more or may want to use more than one LED...

Subtract the total of the LED(s) forward voltage(s) from the supply voltage,
Then divide that number by the forward current. This equals the resistance needed.
(Ohm's Law)

Using the example above with TWO LEDs of the same type:
11.0V - (2.1V + 2.1V) =6.8V
6.8V / 20ma (or 0.02A)= 340 ohms.
However resistors or only available in standard or preset values so choose the next higher preset which is 390 ohms.
Depending on the resistance value obtained you can use a combination of lower standard resistor values to get closer to the 340 if you desire.

As others have said the LED can be driven harder (more current) at the expense of lifetime. This may increase brightness. But that is usually a function of viewing angle.

A list of these standard resistor values can also be found on the web such as this one for example:
http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/ech...ardValues.html
N017RW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELINHAWAII View Post

http://www.beingseen.com/sheets.html
I just accomplished this on my DX7 and it works great. I don't have any problems with interference form the 12V inverter that I used. The mod is pretty straight forward, but getting the backing off the LCD is a bit tedious.

My eFleet can be viewed here
Hover_X is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover_X View Post
I just accomplished this on my DX7 and it works great. I don't have any problems with interference form the 12V inverter that I used. The mod is pretty straight forward, but getting the backing off the LCD is a bit tedious.
Where did you get the inverter? Can you post links of the materials you got?
dwhitney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blue LED on my DX 7se

Itīs easy to mod an DX 7 with a LED in front.

5 mm Blue LED Emitters from DealExtreame (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9077), some cable and some soldering.

Solder cable to the LED. The long end of the LED to the + (holes at the red arrow) and the short end to the - (holes at the black arrow) (use a thin cable between the LED and the card)

Drill a 5 mm hole where you want the LED. Insert the LED and glue it into place.

Thats it.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	181113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spec.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	181114  
OYLORE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in