Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Could my dx6i be causing power failures?

... And would a dx7 be better?

I have experienced intermittent power failures for the last year or so with my 450 Sport v1, about 8 total. I have analyzed and found no patterns. I've checked solder joints, etc, and even replaced the esc, but still once in a while - no power. I still have avionics. Interestingly, I had a power failure on my newish Protos 500, which makes me think its the tx or some kind of dsm2 bind or flaw. Question: Have you heard of a tx causing this kind of failure? If so, would a nicer radio solve it?
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you contacted HH? I had a DX6i for flying airplanes not long after they came out and every now and then after about 10 minutes of flying I would lose complete controll of the airplane, sent it back to HH and it came back from them stating it was OK. Tried it again and another crash, I said screw it and sold it on Ebay and got out of RC stuff for several years.. Not long after was the recall of the radio, was mine one of the ones with issues, I dont know. I am now playing with RC helis and I have a dx6i again and it has been great.
Sailingeric is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It won't hurt to send it in since your problem is with multiple models. That tends to lend itself to a tx problem.

A tx won't cause loss of power but will cause loss of signal.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a DX6i with my 450 Sport V1 and had a random brownout while hovering about 15 feet up just in front of me. Heli just spooled down and fell to the floor. When I re connected it, everything was fine. The only thing I could ever point to was either the Tx or Rx. I'd not had any issues prior to this with planks, but I lost faith in it, sold it and got a DX7s just after they came out, and haven't had a single issue since.

Mine wasn't one of the ones on any of the recall lists.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would suggest getting a new Tx and sending the Dx6i in for service and keep it as a back up unit.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcornell View Post
... And would a dx7 be better?

I have experienced intermittent power failures for the last year or so with my 450 Sport v1, about 8 total. I have analyzed and found no patterns. I've checked solder joints, etc, and even replaced the esc, but still once in a while - no power. I still have avionics. Interestingly, I had a power failure on my newish Protos 500, which makes me think its the tx or some kind of dsm2 bind or flaw. Question: Have you heard of a tx causing this kind of failure? If so, would a nicer radio solve it?
I don't see why you are blaming the transmitter. If I understand you, you are losing motor power, but still have cyclic and tail control, and most likely I think, collective pitch.

If that is true, the transmitter is the last thing I would blame, and I would begin looking at the flying part of the equation.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Short answer...Yes
The radio could be dropping your throttle channel causing the esc to cut out from loss of signal.
Ive had it happen on multiple helis using the same radio.

Youre flying along and everythings fine then all of a sudden no power. No warning no nothing. Full cyclic control but nothing at the blades. If youre like me you just drop like a rock at that point.

Use this as a good excuse to upgrade to a better radio.

I went to the Airtronics SD10G and havent looked back. All channel dropping issues disappeared.
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcincy View Post
Short answer...Yes
The radio could be dropping your throttle channel causing the esc to cut out from loss of signal.
Ive had it happen on multiple helis using the same radio.

Youre flying along and everythings fine then all of a sudden no power. No warning no nothing. Full cyclic control but nothing at the blades. If youre like me you just drop like a rock at that point.

Use this as a good excuse to upgrade to a better radio.

I went to the Airtronics SD10G and havent looked back. All channel dropping issues disappeared.
I'd really like to see a documentation of this.

Remember, the collective stick is working, and that is supplying both the throttle and pitch channels with input.

So now the radio somehow misses the throttle channel out of all channels. Doesn't wash.

What does make sense is that he is losing the radio link, and as a result is getting failsafe values. That is a zero throttle and some neutral cyclic, and who knows what pitch. Once you get a zero throttle, you are probably stuck in a slow spoolup at best, resulting, most likely in a fast "landing".

I will admit however, that this could be a transmitter fault. Could also be in the receiver.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahahn View Post
I'd really like to see a documentation of this.
I have a video and witnesses. Lost all throttle control. TH wouldnt even work. I dropped my throttle curve to zero and still nothing. Still had full collective and cyclic control.
Bound it to another radio and everything worked fine.

This was on the maiden flight of my 7HV. Well...attempted maiden flight anyways. Luckily I never left the ground. I had checked to make sure TH was working and when it didnt I didnt lift off.

Ill post the video and get written and notarized transcripts later if my word really isnt enough for you.

Now before all this happened my Trex 500 was having issues cutting power. I changed the motor and ESC and nothing helped it. I didnt shake the issue till I changed radios.

On my 500 and 450 Ive had the elevator channel drop out. On my 450 Ive had the aileron drop on me.

All these issues went away when I changed radios.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My last post isnt exactly accurate.....Ill elaborate.
This actually spaned three different radios. All the same make and model.

First time was with the trex 500. IRCHA 2011, sunday morning, main flight line just left of center.
Was setting up for a photo op where 6yro old Mason Dumanski was going to buddy box my brother. We all figured it would be pretty cool.
I fly the 500 and everything was fine. Mason flys it and alls well. We plug in the buddy box and everything is ok on the ground. We lift off with Mason on the master and me on the slave. Everythings fine, He hands it off to me and the elevator channel drops out. He takes full control and still no elevator. Back flips all the way to the ground.

I sent it in and they replaced the radio.
Fast forward to spring of 2012. Evansville, In Heli Invasion. 2nd radio.
Flying my 450 out over the hay field and the controls get funky. Luckily I was high enough that I had time to figure out that the aileron channel had droped out. Using the other controls I was able to reel it back in and drop it in the high grass.

I sent it in and they sent it back to me saying everything was fine with it. That I had hit a switch and on that switch the dual rate was set to zero.
What they didnt know was that I had saved my settings and transfered them to my computer before I sent the radio in with the SD card still installed.

Fast forward a few months and Im flying the same 450 Alls well then wouldnt you know it elevator channel goes bye bye You guessed it, back flip into the ground.
That radio had an "accident" that day.

So a few months later they dropped the price on the radio and like an idiot I bite. Brand new shiney radio.
I flew the mcpx with it for a couple of weeks and all seemed fine. Built the 7HV and was all excited to fly it.
Spool up, check TH and nothing. Lowered TC to zero and still nothing. Throttle channel was gone, dropped out.
They returned my money for the radio after two weeks of fighting with them. I sold all my RXs, and bought the SD10G. Havent had a single radio related issue since.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Absolutely. Just borrowed a dx8 from a friend to diagnose some issues I was seeing. Hands down, the problem is with dx6i - tested across multiple birds. Oh, and I can't believe the difference in the performance of the radios - the dx8 is smooth and locked in.

heli0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahahn View Post
What does make sense is that he is losing the radio link, and as a result is getting failsafe values. That is a zero throttle and some neutral cyclic, and who knows what pitch.
From the DX6i manual, page 20:

"SmartSafe:
• Prevents unintentional electric motor response on start-up.
• Eliminates the possibility of over-driving servos on start-up.
• Establishes low-throttle fail safe if the RF signal is lost.
Maintains last-commanded control surface position in the event of RF link interruption.
Note: Fail-safe positions are stored via the stick and switch positions on the transmitter
during binding."

If it was loss of rf link then it would go into failsafe mode - that would mean "dead sticks" with surfaces set to last given position. No cyclics, throttle, nada.
Yet the OP claims to have still had avionics. By this does he mean cyclics? If yes, then that doesn't fit with rf loss.
I'm wondering if his DX6i has ever been rectified as per the recall. Wasn't that to do with throttle gimbal or pots?
B335 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Could my dx6i be causing power failures?

I had some problems like this with my 2010 DX6i, sometimes (quite often) the heli would fall dead from the sky, with no motor nor commands. Interestingly, this started to happen after one year, as the radio aged.

I replaced it by a DX7s, and after 1.5 years and hundreds of flights I had no more such problems.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

Compass 7HV / Atom 6HVU / Atom 5.5 / Align Trex 500L / Spektrum DX8
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I guess I'm confused. Is it that the dx6i is more likely than others to fail? Otherwise, wouldn't any radio start failing at some point? I didn't say that this one is about two years old.

Also, an update: The antenna joint ("elbow") broke a while ago, which I had taped to fix it at an angle (the wire was OK), but I decided to replace it with a new $13 one from Spektrum. While the radio was apart I noticed some corrosion on some circuit board solder points (see attached). Could this possibly be the problem? I think it came from when I found corrosion on the battery terminals from a bad battery. (It might have been a rechargeable one; I use alkalines now.) I had cleaned off the terminals by sanding them I know that's not a good idea, but I didn't know what else to do. Thoughts?

Thanks, all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	394450   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	394451   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	394452  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Send it in and have it checked out.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 but to comment on the corrosion, from the pictures I highly doubt that it caused any problems.
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have a dx7 (not 7s) from a friend, but I'm not ready to convert over to it because there is a lot of reprogramming involved in the gyros and fbl unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in