Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default They were wrong!

I'm sure you've heard it said many times - how these FBL controllers with bailout are "teaching pilots bad habits" - "teaching them that it's OK to take risks, because they can do it with impunity".

They're wrong -- and I'm living proof of that. My helicopter is living proof of that too.

I've logged about 40 hours on my T-Rex 450 - I haven't flown RC helicopters before (although I've several hundred hours in real aeroplanes) - and despite my slow and careful approach, I make mistakes as I learn to extend my limits.

Tonight I made 3 mistakes in an hour -- and because of the "eject" button, the bird lives to fly another day.

Thank you HC3sX I look forward to the day I don't need you, but it's nice to know you're never far away.
ColinSouthern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW, that is actually quite awesome, for me those first few months of flying CP heli's were a real trial in persitance, and I reckon that would have saved me more than a few times, especially during those initial "lost orientation" moments where the eye's have told the brain "no I don't care what you think, I can see it definetly did this and is facing THAT way"
I've only been flying CP heli's (Trex 450 clones mostly) for 12 months and I've just started to get the hang of inverted nose in hover, so I've been through plenty of those days but I took my heli's home in bits instead,
But that said, after a big crash (which aren't often now, ) I can now rebuild my 450 and set the zyx gyro properly in about 4 hours, so I've also learnt a lot from crashing, I learnt a lot from rebuiling, but I've discovered nothing helps my skills progress more than air time, so it's been a trade off I guess.

Anyway, I had a brain fart that ended in a really good save yesterday (and got it on vid) so I'm feeling where your coming from, these heli's are such a rush sometimes,

Keep it up
Stevo500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can relate to all of that.

I've tried inverted a few times ... didn't end well! So for now I'm more content to reduce the rigidity a bit and get some medium to medium-steep turns sorted out. Hope I can add a barrel roll or loop to the mix before too long as well.

I'm getting pretty good at rebuilds too -- every time I make a mistake of some kind I think "whew - last lesson finally learned" - unfortunately, there always seems to be another "next lesson". Hopefully with a bit of maintenance - application of lessons learned - and an eject button - the hours between the crashes will get more and more (11 to beat, on a run up to 7 so far!).

The loss of orientation has caused considerable "puckering" in the past - and still bites me on occasions. Usually it's at altitude - these days I cut the power to hover power - max out the self levelling - yaw the tail counter-clockwise until I can see the tail out to the right - then bring it back with left aileron until I re-establish orientation. I added a couple of super-bright LEDs to the front skid that REALLY helps with orientation early evening -> dusk (can be switched off/on from the Tx).

So ... when do we get to watch the vid?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Learning to remember to use the switch is something within itself. What helped me to remember to flip captain rescue was two things:

1. Set the model reset function on your sim to be the same switch as rescue. Not the same effect but if you start using it before you crash on the sim it commits it to memory.

2. Flip it one or two times on every flight as practice.

I have only ever flipped it for real a couple of times, but those couple of times paid for the gyro.
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought this!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedRaptor77 View Post
Learning to remember to use the switch is something within itself.
That certainly can be a problem whilst "brain freeze" is in effect.

I've modded my Tx to have a red momentary push switch that sits under a finger all the time. I think being able to feel it all the time helps to remind my brain that it's there.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

maybe a voice recognition software upgrade to the transmitter, something like ' OH S$## ' will activate the switch
Praztek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praztek View Post
maybe a voice recognition software upgrade to the transmitter, something like ' OH S$## ' will activate the switch
+1
crash at 42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash at 42 View Post
+1
I thought of that - or another option might be something to measure how tightly I'm gripping the radio!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Relocate the Oh Sh** button to the backside of the tx where your gripping fingers set. But then if I did that I'd never get the heli down while practicing new manuevers.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can relate to all of this. I have just started flying my Trex 450. I put an HC3-SX on it from new so I have little experience of flying 450 sized helis without it but I find that I am still having big trouble flicking ANY switches at all! Even going from normal to idle up I find that I end up with the heli all over the place even if I start from a stable hover!

I think it is just a case of practice because I am getting a little better but you wouldn't think flicking a switch, which it at my fingertips anyway so I don't have to remove my hand from the tx at all, would be so difficult. It is as if my fingers are glued!

I too practice flicking the rescue a few times before liftoff just to remind me it is there and that I MUST use it if there is ANY doubt about anything at all. Once in the hover I test it a couple of times too before I start flying to make sure it is working.

I have 100% confidence that should I need it then it will work but I don't yet have confidence that I will actually hit the switch and so far I haven't done anything that I wouldn't have done without rescue... I dreamt of just trying stuff safe in the knowledge I can hit the rescue and be safe but it isn't that simple... it is all in the mind!
PaulChurchley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChurchley View Post
I can relate to all of this. I have just started flying my Trex 450. I put an HC3-SX on it from new so I have little experience of flying 450 sized helis without it but I find that I am still having big trouble flicking ANY switches at all! Even going from normal to idle up I find that I end up with the heli all over the place even if I start from a stable hover!

I think it is just a case of practice because I am getting a little better but you wouldn't think flicking a switch, which it at my fingertips anyway so I don't have to remove my hand from the tx at all, would be so difficult. It is as if my fingers are glued!

I too practice flicking the rescue a few times before liftoff just to remind me it is there and that I MUST use it if there is ANY doubt about anything at all. Once in the hover I test it a couple of times too before I start flying to make sure it is working.

I have 100% confidence that should I need it then it will work but I don't yet have confidence that I will actually hit the switch and so far I haven't done anything that I wouldn't have done without rescue... I dreamt of just trying stuff safe in the knowledge I can hit the rescue and be safe but it isn't that simple... it is all in the mind!
Hi Paul,

I can relate to ALL of that -- every last bit. Exactly the same as what I went through a few weeks ago, and continue to go through now.

I got myself a brand new Futaba T14SG transmitter - love it - but to be honest, none of the switches were a comfortable placement for my flying style. I'm a thumbs only flyer on light springs / short stick - and I like to keep one finger on "the eject" switch ... and although possible, it never felt 100% comfortable. They also recommend putting rescue on a momentary switch - and the only momentary one was on the right hand side, at the top; I got used to it being there a little, but it was never ideal, so in the weekend I bit the bullet and removed a 2 way switch in the top left position and installed a push-button switch. Now I can fly - literally - with a finger on the button, which I think helps to remind me that it's there (literally). I've used it 1/2 dozen times now when some aggressive power-on turns haven't looked like pulling out at the bottom in time - and each time it's got the bird level and climbing very quickly (with all the dignity of a cat being dropped into an avery of birds, but level and climbing all the same). More importantly though, I'm not forgetting to hit it - or suffering "brain freeze" anymore.

The other thing you'll probably want to do if you haven't already is setup a couple of programmable mixes to give you different degrees of self-levelling (if your transmitter can handle it). Josh ("SeaSick78") has made an excellent video on how to do it - it's a great starting point. You'll find that with the self-levelling reduced the bird takes on a more fluid feel ... smoother and more relaxed to fly, but also more prone to roll too deep into a turn and start falling from the sky too. Josh's instructions basically get you to set it up with only a little SL but with the option of 2 progressively stronger settings; I went the other way around so by default it's at 100%, and I have 50% and 25% available on tap. These days I'm switching to 50% once I get airborne, but 25% is still a bit beyond my capability at this stage (selected it once by accident and had to use the eject button whilst muttering "WTF!!!" until I figured it out.

Other than that, all I can suggest is fly regularly - and keep thinking. For me there haven't been any "eureka" moments - just a whole bunch of incremental improvements ... transmitter tweaks, HC3sX tweaks, new glasses, lots of thinking about energy management, better co-ordination, better "muscle memory" to give me more time to think (especially during a turn) etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=487572
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default They were wrong!

Quote:
Or... Get a Jeti DS-16 radio and you can literally tilt it and program it to say whatever you want as it climbs to safety!

Whoops. Missed the link Busted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in