Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Evolution (formerly ALeeS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bad wag in funnels...

I've been trying to iron out this one bug from my setup and haven't been successful. If I enter a funnel at high speed, as soon as I input aileron and rudder to start the turn, the tail starts wagging.

I've tried reducing the tail gain several times to the point that its in the very low range (26%) and I still have this problem. A friend of mine (mtymyk) pointed me to a thread that talks about I gain and P gain in the vbar to address this problem. Anyone have this issue on their Rush? Its the only heli that I have this problem on.

I'm using vbar + Align DS650 for the tail... stock tail rod and 15mm from horn center.

Thanks!

Carlos.
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
I've been trying to iron out this one bug from my setup and haven't been successful. If I enter a funnel at high speed, as soon as I input aileron and rudder to start the turn, the tail starts wagging.

I've tried reducing the tail gain several times to the point that its in the very low range (26%) and I still have this problem. A friend of mine (mtymyk) pointed me to a thread that talks about I gain and P gain in the vbar to address this problem. Anyone have this issue on their Rush? Its the only heli that I have this problem on.

I'm using vbar + Align DS650 for the tail... stock tail rod and 15mm from horn center.

Thanks!

Carlos.
Maybe try coming in a hole on the horn.. I've seen this work several times
Cyclone Blades, Scorpion Motors
eagleridge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm running an Align D5655 servo and the ball is 13.5mm from the center as near as I can measure it without taking things apart. I'm having no issues at all.

onlyfinehelis.com
mmickels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Bad wag in funnels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post

Thanks!

Carlos.
Carlos,

I am also still trying to run better and better the tail with vbar but since when I started using 115 tail blades, i have been less tweacking the tail.

Just being crazy, i like high end servos especially on the tail.

Are you using the same electronics settup and main/tail blades in your other helis? If so you might need to check the servo horn issue as stated in the above post or try to check that you dont have binding or stiff movement on the tail rod at any point of travell.

If am not mistaken i have those values set to 75 as i was adviced by a friend and i feel the tail is holding just good. With futaba bls256Hv i have tail gain set to 77 and 78 for the head with jr8717hv servos. Too big main blades do cause wags that is what i know!

Saeed.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, thanks guys, I'll play around with the horn and see if it goes away. If not, maybe I'll swap out the tail servo. Its weird... high-speed tail-first hurricanes don't bother it, but as soon as I bring the tail down and start funneling...bang... wag from hell.
AMA #934662
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was also seeing wag in my Rush. I have a nice tail servo and had the ball spacing at 15mm. My gain in Vbar was at 70 (which is on the low end for Vbar). After moving the ball in one hole to I believe about 12mm, I was able to raise the gain to 90, and the tail is solid now. No wagging. Definitely something to try.

If that doesn't help still, i would look at investing in a nicer tail servo. The DS650 worked nice on my Trex 600, but I would rather not use it on a 700 class machine. Hope it works for you!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdanna View Post
I was also seeing wag in my Rush. I have a nice tail servo and had the ball spacing at 15mm. My gain in Vbar was at 70 (which is on the low end for Vbar). After moving the ball in one hole to I believe about 12mm, I was able to raise the gain to 90, and the tail is solid now. No wagging. Definitely something to try.

If that doesn't help still, i would look at investing in a nicer tail servo. The DS650 worked nice on my Trex 600, but I would rather not use it on a 700 class machine. Hope it works for you!
Hmmm... Ok, sounds good. I have a Futaba BLS251 from my crashed 700N I could swap over to the Rush. I think that one is better than the DS650...

I'll try moving the ball in one hole, raise the gain a bit, and swap out the tail servo... That should definitely do it!!!
AMA #934662
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

a sub par tail servo carlos my give you issues at different times. i had this slow, small wag in my x5 when i first built it. seemed like a mechanical stiffness thing. went through the tail system and found nothing. changed out the stock servo with a BLS251 wag gone!! its worth a try buddy.

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, just an update...been busy wrenching the past few days. I finished rebuilding my 700N and hovered it outside, she's baaack!

As for the Rush, I changed out the horn and I was actually at 15mm. I put on a standard plastic Futaba 4 point star and went to the 3rd hole (13mm). I'm at 120 and 110 on the vbar and no binding. I'm going to try to fly it this weekend and see if that did it.

I'm using my DS650 for now... trying this "cheap" fix first!
AMA #934662

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in