Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First time stepping out of micro/mini helis.

I have been reading up a lot, watching a ton of videos and seen a lot of pics of the Blade 450 and started working the overtime to get the money for it. Today was the day and I have to say that when I opened the box for the first time it was kind of intimidating. For some reason the videos and pictures on the internet just do not do this thing justice. I know that as far as RC helis go a 450 is rather small but when the biggest heli you own is a Blade MCPX this thing is massive. Been flying an MCX2, MSRX, MCPX, and Nano CPX for some time now and looking forward to this. I found it rather strange that a set of blade grips for the 450 cost the same as a set of blade grips for my Nano, LOL. Main purpose of this post is 2 fold. One is to say hello to the 450 forum. The second reason is for anyone else out there looking to get out of the micro helis and into something bigger. It has been very hard to gather good information about what to really expect from a size standpoint with the 450 so I want to try to give a better idea of what to expect and the best example i could find is this. The entire Blade Nano CPX will fit inside of the canopy of the 450 and although I didn't want to damage either heli to prove a point I think i may even be able to fit the Nano inside of the 450 battery compartment. I am a bit nervous but I am pretty good with my MCPX and my Nano so I am told that it should be a relatively easy transition. Don't really have and instructor as an option so that's why I have been flying the micros and using the sim. Now if this snow would just go away because I am itching to do some flying. Guess its good that we are snowed in as I will have plenty of time to check it over real good before flying.
stokbr5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: First time stepping out of micro/mini helis.

Awesome buddy and here's to hoping the snow melts away soon.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
McKrackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's alot of good reading and videos @ rchelicopterfun.com. Check it out. The 450 3d is a good bird for your transition. Good luck and have fun!
Jim
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

I did my first 450 size flights around a year ago. Largest previous CP helicopter flown was the mCPx. You mentioned the size difference. Perhaps a more significant difference is going from FBL (mCPx) to FB (B4503d).

Good luck.

I think my biggest surprise with the B4503D was that i was capable of losing orientation (and crashing) during a low to the ground hover. From my mCPx experience, I had thought my upright orientation skills were excellent and never imagined that i could lose orientation in such a simple maneuver.

I think I got to where the mCPx required only 20% effort/concentration from me (to hover and maintain orientation) and I reverted to 20% effort/concentration when hovering the B4503D and crashed.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome! I was shaking so badly the first couple of flights, I could barely use the rudder

That said, like above, there isn't just the size transition, but also from fbl to fb. When it is a bit windy, the mcpx will keep its attitude, but will jump up and down. The 450 3D will keep a much more stable ALTITUDE (not jump up and down so badly), but will slowly rotate/tilt around the aileron and elevator axis. This was very unsettling at first, because with the mcpx you can always assume the attitude of the heli is still the same as you left it when you get to some blind spots flying circuits. With the 450 and the drifting I felt scared, because it needed correcting even through the blind spots.

Best advice I took, and can now give is:
1) If you can fly well enough not to crash the mcpx, get better blades, I don't trust the woodies. I got fiberglass blades which are slightly heavier and add stability.
2) replace the paddles with trex paddles (or similar), the blade paddles are sharp and grab the air. The trex ones are more blunt and little heavier.
3) get the 80 dampers (the blue ones), the head is very loose without them.
4) to compensate for the drifting, until I got confidant, i added 2x flybar weights to EACH flybar. Te extra weight greatly reduced the drifting etc, but obviously softened the response. All dualrates etc need to be at full 100%, same as the advance setup in the manual. After a while, I moved in the one weight and practiced a bit, moved in the second weight, and practiced, and now I have them removed and the drifting isn't unsettling anymore. My next step is to put the Blade flybars back to get absolute maximum performance out, because they are slightly lighter.

When I convert the 450 to scale, or when I stop trying to do flips etc, I will put all the weights back, to get it stable again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first flight on my 450 lasted about 8 seconds. I flew it into the sun and lost orientation. I was over confident from the sim. I have been flying for just about a year now. Crashed plenty of times and used to shake every time until about mid summer. I used to get so nervous before flying and I remember saying to myself this is supposed to be fun.

I guess to sum it up, take it slow, don't fly to impress anyone else and eventually you will get good. Crashing is just part of the game. It stings at first but after a few crashes you will almost just laugh at yourself. Learn from your mistakes and most of all HAVE FUN!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am confident I will be able to fly it with little problem but I am still going to take it much slower than I feel I need to. I will probably just do low level hovers for 5 to 10 packs, then do some higher level hovers. I always fly with the sun behind me and the heli/plane in front of me. I have been flying planes for years and learned long ago that flying with the sun in front of me is the best way to get disoriented and crash.

Quick question on the intermediate settings for the DX6i. They are recommending dual rates be set at 50%. When learning on my other helis I have found the lower rates to be detrimental. I can't recover quick enough when the heli gets out of shape. Is 50% going to be responsive enough.

Also another thing I noticed is that with the built in b450 profile that was already on my DX6i when I bought it months before this heli it will only go to the higher rates when in IU mode. I would like to be able to go to high rates outside of IU mode. Is there a way to change this? Should I just nuke the profile and create a new one? There are no sub trims since the radio didn't come with the heli.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You really should learn to fly in IU. The constant head speed will help with stability and make the sticks feell more responsive and consistent. 10/80 dr flys similar to my nano. Any expo higher than 15 will make you start chasing the heli instead of leading it. Real small quick stick movements correcting the movements before they happen is the goal when hovering.

PS.. Have you done a full mechanical setup? If so you certainly would have 90'd the servo arms with sub trim.

"I do my best looking 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
Jherison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

2nd flying in IU as soon as you can. I put it off for ages when I started due to nervousness. When I finally got the nerve I found it was a non-event and made things easier to fly. If you want to experiment with your transmitter settings without nuking the profile, copy it to another slot on your transmitter and rebind to the heli. That way you can always go back or check the original values on a setting if you forget.
Shawndiver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still checking it out. I have been researching how to sub trim it. I am intentionally over thinking everything. I am not even going to spool it up til I am sure it's set up right. I actually prefer to fly in IU but sometimes if I just want to hover I like the reduced head speed of normal mode even though I don't want the lower control rates. Thanks everyone for all of this information.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

You change change the d/r for norm mode, just make the changes while the TH is OFF and F MODE is NORM. This goes for each mode type you want to change.

Also, save backups often. Model 1 is the active one that is bound to the heli. To save a copy, in the menu copy to say model 5.

ALWAYS save a copy you want to keep before loading another or you will loose your sub trims.

Now make your changes to model 1, if you don't like them, copy model 5 into model 1 and your back to where you started!

Just remember, the heli is only bound to model 1, so selecting model 5 will not work! You will have to copy it into number 1, then select number 1.

I now have a DX8, but will be happy to answer any weird questions you may have, I've been there!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Appreciate the offer. I will be getting a DX8 next month if all goes well. I have another question regarding the blades that came with it. Is it normal for the covering to be a little loose? I have my covering iron and I could probably shrink it down. If it won't affect flight or durability I don't really care. Should I be concerned?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokbr5 View Post
Appreciate the offer. I will be getting a DX8 next month if all goes well. I have another question regarding the blades that came with it. Is it normal for the covering to be a little loose? I have my covering iron and I could probably shrink it down. If it won't affect flight or durability I don't really care. Should I be concerned?
Mine also had spots where it did not "stick" to the wood, and did not see a problem during the limited flights I had with them. I did have balance issues with my 3rd set though (2 crashes before realizing I need a sim and an mcpx).
Tip! Do not fly with unbalanced blade vibrations , the tail boom will (and in my case did, twice) work its way into the frame loosening the belt, loosing the tail, having to do an piro auto. If I were you, and a lot of people do, I would put a drop of CA between the boom and frame. I did mine, and haven't lost my tail yet. I admit, to boom was resonating badly, and kept on flying and ignored the problem....

Another observation, I would recommend doing the locktite mod on the motor bearing. My bearing ate my shaft in just 50 flights. The infamous black dust of death. Otherwise just let it die, and get an after market motor that doesn't want to kill itself.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use FRP (fibre reinforced plastic) blades. They are around $6 a set and work much better than the woodies. The only time I fly carbon fibre ($20-50) is for night flying. I think I got them at helidirect.com. I prefer the 335 sized, more stable.

DX8 is in one word, awesome!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got it off the ground a bit today but had a small tip over that took some of the coating off the blades. I was right about the settings in the radio for normal mode. I didn't want to go straight to IU mode but I guess I should have. It just would not respond the way I needed it to. I have some extra blades at home. Next flight I will either figure out how to get rid of those 50% rates or just fly it in IU. Hovered great though. It was just the landing that caused the tip over. Probably would have been ok if it hadn't dug a skid into the snow since it was sliding when it landed. If the weather is OK I will try again on Saturday. All in all I am actually pretty pleased. The tip over wasn't as devastating as the ones I had been imagining I would have.
Update: I think I figured out why I couldn't get the higher rates in normal mode. I forgot I am dealing with CCPM and if I were to change aileron to high rates but not change elevator to high rates then it would make for a very unhappy swash. Instead I just edited the normal mode settings to increase rates. Should be good to go for next time.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Next flight I will either figure out how to get rid of those 50% rates or just fly it in IU. .
Omg i forgot how low the settings in the manual are! If you can fly the micros at 100%, then you can easily take the 450 to 100% and IU, and it will still feel slower than what you are used to. The rate of rotation will be slower than the fbl helis. Both the expo and travel in the manual make it too docile for someone used to faster reactions.
Like I said, I ran NEGATIVE expo to make it feel like my mcpx. Maybe my paddles are to blame, donno. But great to hear there wasn't any bad damage.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Figured out how to change the settings. I now have it at 75% and +7 but I may change it to 100%. I noticed on my Nano that I run 100% and no expo and I really like the way it handles. I also made the mistake of lengthening my sticks before flying so I have turned them back in all the way. Got the heli back together and I'm ready for Saturday.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Figured out how to change the settings. I now have it at 75% and +7 but I may change it to 100%. I noticed on my Nano that I run 100% and no expo and I really like the way it handles. I also made the mistake of lengthening my sticks before flying so I have turned them back in all the way. Got the heli back together and I'm ready for Saturday.
I t think running 100 percent with no expo is a good idea especially if your a new pilot. It will be handful to control.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I probably won't go all the way to 100% and I surely won't do it without expo. Oddly enough though after flying my Nano and my MSRX after the 450 I am surprised to say that the MSRX feels much closer to the way the 450 flies and the MSRX is much less responsive, obviously that will change once I start inverted flight on the 450. I have another question, I am looking for a case/bag for my 450. I noticed the HH case made for the 450 and was wondering if anyone else had a better recommendation? I would like to be able to hold the heli, DX6i, Hitec X1 charger and maybe 1 or 2 batteries. Thanks for all the answers so far and any other information you can provide me with.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawhacker View Post
Perhaps a more significant difference is going from FBL (mCPx) to FB (B4503d).

I think I got to where the mCPx required only 20% effort/concentration from me (to hover and maintain orientation) and I reverted to 20% effort/concentration when hovering the B4503D and crashed.
I curious about this statement. I learned to hover and get my nose in and side in orientation on my mcpx but I also bought a 120SR. Not gonna say I'm bored on the 120 because it's fun to fly my crooked figure 8's with it. I'm not close to that level on my mcpx. But I thought the flybar on the 4503d might make it seem more stable than the mcpx, this is not true?
fiveflat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in