Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #261 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1157 View Post
Rich, I have found the 450X to be not fond of wind. There is something about its size to weight ratio. My 550 and my Nano both do much better in a breeze. You're going to be able to rebuild the 450 with your eyes closed. Keep up the good work; I've enjoyed following your thread.

Stu
Thanks Stu.
I did look at a 500X and a 550X because of the flying conditions were I fly (lots of cross winds, changing direction winds and wind tunnel effects) but the 450X was more in my price range and parts cost range.

Both my Nano and mCPx are brushed. The mCPx is better in some wind but my Nano hates any breeze. I open the patio doors for a breeze and I have all I can do to keep a nice hoover with my Nano.

I'm going to keep at it, I won't give up. On the sim I can do some pretty wild things in control crash free even in 20-30 mph winds. I just need to keep with it and transfer it to real world.
RichKnapp is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #262 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: And it starts.

The 450x is annoying in the wind. It's so light that it just gets blown all over the place.

And those gusts always and I mean always start when you come in for a landing.

The more I fly the 550x the less I like flying the 450x. The stability is amazing and it just laughs at wind.

A slightly bigger bird might help, especially if you get a lot of wind. Maybe a 500. I don't know much about them unfortunately.
Primal is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #263 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tough break, Rich.

What you describe sounds just like my crash landing when elevator servo died mid flight. I was 20ft up and lost 10ft faster than I imagined possible.

Hope to see you back in action soon.
Crakin is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #264 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKnapp View Post
Thanks Stu.
I did look at a 500X and a 550X because of the flying conditions were I fly (lots of cross winds, changing direction winds and wind tunnel effects) but the 450X was more in my price range and parts cost range.

Both my Nano and mCPx are brushed. The mCPx is better in some wind but my Nano hates any breeze. I open the patio doors for a breeze and I have all I can do to keep a nice hoover with my Nano.

I'm going to keep at it, I won't give up. On the sim I can do some pretty wild things in control crash free even in 20-30 mph winds. I just need to keep with it and transfer it to real world.
Oh, I'm with you on the "price range" especially on crash costs. That's why the 450 size is so nice. I fly my larger helis very conservatively because I can't afford the crash costs.
1157 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #265 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks all for the support.

Started the re-build, everything off old frame.

Canopy done
Main shaft done
Feathering shaft done
Thrust bearings just had little plastic shaving in them. Cleaned and re lubed.
Frame has servos mounted.
Shaft bearings installed
Tail drive and belt installed

On disassembly the tail box fell apart. Hair line crack I didn't see at assembled inspection.

Servo gear inspection came out all good. I'll inspect on a no blades on power up.

Taking a brake for the day on it.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #266 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1157 View Post
I fly my larger helis very conservatively because I can't afford the crash costs.
lol Tried that today until the wind had other idea's.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #267 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakin View Post
Tough break, Rich.

What you describe sounds just like my crash landing when elevator servo died mid flight. I was 20ft up and lost 10ft faster than I imagined possible.

Hope to see you back in action soon.
Power it up to drain my batteries. The Eile servo is froze up. Maybe it wasn't the wind.

EDIT: Opened servo up and was able to rotate the gears by hand and now it works fine. Must have locked on impact.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #268 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: And it starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKnapp View Post
Power it up to drain my batteries. The Eile servo is froze up. Maybe it wasn't the wind.
Are you still running the stock servos?
Primal is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #269 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Are you still running the stock servos?
Nope.

I have the A3020's. Just tail is stock. See my edit in last post.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #270 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you haven't noticed. I do all my work at the kitchen table and my lap top is on breakfast bar so on breaks I make updates and check my BBing logs and such.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #271 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got my DX8 updated to the 3.0 today. Hooked up the electronics of my 450X and rebound it to the Tx. Then my little guys and flew them in the living room.

Holding off on any farther assembly until I get the other parts I need.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #272 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Amazed

Rich,

I just read this entire thread..... Man you are an inspiration.

My grandma had a stroke about a year ago and she is in a wheelchair, I just wish she had your positive outlook on life.

I have a 450x as well, still haven't crashed it yet (been really close a few times), however I did crash my Trex 550 a couple of months ago. It was my first crash on anything larger than a 130x and it really took my motivation away.

I sat and read your thread, and even though you haven't had the best of luck with the 450x, it doesnt affect your positive attitude, you take it in stride, learn / rebuild carry on.

After my big crash, it kinda discouraged me and made me not really want to fly much. After reading your thread I have a new positive outlook. The Trex is re-built but sitting on the shelf. The most I have flown is my MCPX BL and Nano. I went to fly my 450x and got some pretty nasty shuddering from the tail (gyro gain) I landed and packed it up and went home rather than dialing in the gain and continuing to fly.

I'm out to sea right now (work oil/gas industry) but when I get home Friday, I know what I will be doing

I'm subscribing to your thread, you are an inspiration man, BTW congrats on the bodybuilding dude, you are a beast!!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #273 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Rich. I feel terrible each time you crash. Now I don't have your eyes but I think you should try an mCPX BL. It is TONS better than brushed version and it is super strong. I have learned a lot on it. Not sure if you have space out back to fly but the BL is a great trainer to hopefully keep the 450 off the bench.

+1 on inspirational - I know I enjoy reading your flight log
Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #274 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscheduledlanding View Post

I'm out to sea right now (work oil/gas industry) but when I get home Friday, I know what I will be doing

I'm subscribing to your thread, you are an inspiration man, BTW congrats on the bodybuilding dude, you are a beast!!
Thanks a bunch. I do my best. That's all we can do. Never quit and things will come. Just need to take our lumps along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krea04 View Post
Hi Rich. I feel terrible each time you crash. Now I don't have your eyes but I think you should try an mCPX BL.

+1 on inspirational - I know I enjoy reading your flight log
I was looking at a BL originally for in our parking lot as I can fly out there more than getting to a park as long as it isn't full of cars. Then a friend set me up with the used mCPx-v2 and when I won my last show it was a choice between a parking lot heli or one I could see at parks. I went with the 450X for at parks. I just need to realize just because I go to a park don't mean I have to put the 450 up. Heavier winds a mCPx crash is cheaper. At parks the mCPx is a dot for me, the 450X is just right. So the BL would be a dot on crack for me.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #275 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok looks like I'll be doing more today. CopterGuy brought my OWB back this morning. I don't have a vice or set up to press the bearing in or re align it. So he did it for me.
The wind drove me into ground so hard my frame snapped in 1/2 and drove the OWB up in the hub (main gear down) so far the main gear wasn't even touching the pinion. That explains why getting my TH on in nick of time, my main gear had no damage.

Leaning toward these this build. IF anyone have used them or heard consistent problems with them please chime in.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #276 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Change of plans. I forgot I was going to put things on hold until I have 3M 4011 tape tomorrow night. Its a lot easier to run wires and such with the mechanicals off the bird.

On another side. This is were I only get a chance to fly Mon - Thru. weather permitting for out side.
Lot isn't as deep as pic leads on. 2 car lengths deep and 100' wide if the lot is empty. This is the area that becomes a wind tunnel with any little breeze out. I've had wind slam the Walkera Super FP I had onto the garages roof and a neighbors upper balcony. This last weekend the wind forced my mCPx onto the upper balcony of my upstairs friend, just glad he was home to bring it back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1139.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	424356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1140.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	424357  
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #277 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BTW That's just flying my Nano and mCPx. lol 450X is at parks ONLY.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #278 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Super windy out so not hurt I can't fly the 450X.

Got my 4011 tape today for Bx. , White, Green flaked, Blue flaked and Red flaked paint.

Mon I get a 450 3D canopy for doing a custom paint job.

This weekend I start doing as much of the re-build as I can get done.
I have a few parts to order yet.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #279 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sneak peek at the basic layout of the canopy design.
Wife loves it. I will have to see if my eyes will focus on it. It may end up being a all show no fly canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	424958  
Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #280 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the looks of that!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in