Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default need experst on this one GOPRO

Guys i need to make my gopro 2 hero a camera for fpv...what supplies do i need exact(will buy what you tell me....what phat shark goggles work with this, or monitor....would i be better off with a screen or goggles....5.4GHz

tell me what i need to be able to make this work...from screen wores antennas...im new to this.

also would i be better of buying a phantom vision..or puting the go pro on my my heli...
PropWashThreeD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

First off i'm not a GoPro expert, but i can tell you this.

FPV is not an exact science.I highly recommend you do some research, Watch some how to videos. Then do some more research. After your head starts to hurt, take a break. Then do some more research.

I know i didn't answer your questions, But i've been kinda into FPV a while and there are lots of options out there.This is probably not the best forum for FPV info but i'm sure there are many here that CAN help.

Start here, this guy has some good how to videos.
How to be successful in FPV Part 1 - What is FPV? (3 min 29 sec)

Quote stolen from ^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
The range equation - Use this equation to estimate how far (in miles) you will be able to achieve:

Range capability in miles = 1/2 + number of hours under the hood/40 + number of study hours/100 + hours spent talking with an experienced FPVer/20

Thus if you have 24 hours of airtime experience under the hood, 50 or so hours of research, and an afternoon talking to a highly experienced FPV pilot, you can expect to be able to make a 2 mile flight successfully.

Have fun in your ventures,

Last edited by tailspin90; 02-03-2014 at 07:38 AM..
tailspin90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can start you off with some information, but Tailspin90 is correct in directing you to pre-existing sites with information. A lot of redundant issues get addressed in these threads, when there are entire sites dedicated to providing comprehensive information.

The GoPro2 and the GoPro 3 have different outputs. The 2 version has a 3.5mm composite video output jack. The GoPro3 has HDMI and USB outputs. In addition, some systems like the DJI OSD can use a ribbion cable to connect directly to the GoPro3 rear connector.

You will need a transmitter and a receiver for the video signal. These are available in 900MHz, 1.2 GHz, 1.3 GHz, 2.4 Ghz, and 5.8 GHz. Cheap vs. Expensive are all available.

The Tx module (which) goes into your aircraft, will require one of two inputs: A 2.5 mm composite signal (such as on the RC Logger Tx/Rx combo) or a 3 pin JR/Futaba servo style. (Some even use proprietary input configurations)

Cables are sold for every combination. The GoPro2 is going to be more limited because it's output is composite video signal. The most simple setup for you would be the RC Logger (no, I don't work for the company)

RC Logger's Tx/Rx combo is in 5.8 GHz and comes with 3.5mm and 2.5 mm jacks as well as RCA connectors.

I have made my GoPro2 work with other systems, but soldering and cable fabrication was required.

Once I purchased a GoPro3, my options expanded considerably.

Again, search the web for FPV sites for basic information. Use forums for more advanced or specific questions.

danyl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks guys...im kinda torn with a quad or my helis...i fly all 700 size hellis and you can cover alot of distance quik with the helis...flying 60 miles per hour seems more apealing then 30(quad)
PropWashThreeD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Remember if you are flying something like that, use a quality product. You will want a good high power output video TX. Not for range but link quality, as when you zip around traveling fast you dont want to lose video for 1 sec. As a blanket statement the AMA requires all FPV models travel at or below 70 mph.

Goggles vs LCD is a preference. I prefer goggles because its immersive and I can shut out the world and just fly the model.

I got the Predator V2 kit and that worked just fine for me until I wanted to push past 2.5km. I purchased the Blue Beam Ultra antennas for circular polarization. This allowed me to get a good signal regardless or orientation or movement.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...0e525098f3d6f9

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Start with quads.

Easier to fly in FPV. Easier to repair in case of a crash. Cheaper parts.

Go to a site like ReadyMadeRC and purchase one of their beginner packages.

Go with the highest spec 5.8ghz bundle/package you can afford.

Why 5.8ghz? Because this will most likely be legal in your country/state.

Install and fly.

Or the other way to go about it is to buy a phantom quad from DJI - take it out of the box plug in the battery and fly.
heliaddx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The easiest thing for me to fly in FPV was a foam glider. Its already cheap in PNF and crash repair is hot glue. Its great to use to start out with.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in