Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Eflite 450 Motor

I was looking into putting a eflite 450 motor on my 450x. Im curious is it plug and play or do I need a new esc? I have heard mixed things so curious if it would be a good option
IsaiahSaldivar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Love to know if the esc can really be used with this motor!
Is there a limitation for battery power / discharge rate ?
This motor will be my next upgrade and if the esc can really be used and take the extra amps.
Has anyone using this combo killed there esc ?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by night wolf d View Post
+1
Love to know if the esc can really be used with this motor!
Is there a limitation for battery power / discharge rate ?
This motor will be my next upgrade and if the esc can really be used and take the extra amps.
Has anyone using this combo killed there esc ?
I'm with you on this. I'll run the 440 with L/T mod and when it dies do the 450 but want to know ALL the ins and outs for the long run.
Like the tail step down.
Servo will run on 6V for a short test but not as a constant.
Will ESC last for the long hall?
RichKnapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i dont know if the stock esc will handle it, but when (if???) i replace my main motor, im considering the 450 motor, and whatever motor i decide on, a new esc.
my original plan was YGE, but ICE50 seems to be much more commonly used so may choose that instead
Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My motor just took a dump out the other day at the field, and i have about 50 flys with the 450x..that lame 440 motor they give you i mean come on HH, a 440 in a 450...their lame so i just bought me a scorpion motor and the ice 50 esc just leaveing thge stock set up seems that stock will only get you soooooo.....far then you need to upgrade.....440 a joke
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have already many many flights with the 450 motor and the stock ESC with no problem. At that time when I installed I had to buy aftermarket pinions and dremel a bit, but I know you can now buy E-flite pinions which will *maybe* fit plug-n-play.

I know somebody else (Allen?) chose to raise the motor instead of dremeling the pinion, which is prolly a simpler approach.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Eflite 450 motor

Motor works great. I used an align 12 tooth pinion at the suggestion of my local hobby shop. No other changes. Nice upgrade. Heli is strong. Tic Tocs are no problem with this motor. May loose a little flight time but I still fly 5 minutes. Intermediate pilot skills.
Thanks
Connif
Connif Boudoin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Coco66 good to hear your stock esc is still good .
What batteries are you running 2200mah 30c (Stock) or higher C rated ?
Bundydeity ice 50 sounds good , do they still make the ice light 50?
Is anyone using the efight prolite 45amp esc? Is it anygood? Locally available for me!
Thanks for any information.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Can someone shoot me a link to the align 12t pinion. Going to order that and the motor appreciate your help.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Align 12T & 13T
http://helidirect.com/align-motor-pi...450-p-7790.hdx
http://helidirect.com/align-motor-pi...450-p-7791.hdx

Or you can get the combo set from Rhino it comes with 11,12, and 13T
http://helidirect.com/rhino-gear-ste...0g5-p-6754.hdx
Allen_H is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you bro. appreciate it
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Bundydeity ice 50 sounds good , do they still make the ice light 50?
http://arkrc.com.au/products/010%252...hless-ESC.html

i think this is the one i often see recommended
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a good esc bundydeity to upgrade to when and if the stock fails .
I installed a H450 last night that I picked up with a cf boom ! Didn't need it my 440 is all good still just wanted to fix my COG . It didNo more counter weight needed you beauty!

Try out today hopefully after a couple more bench tests .The lhs only had a 13t pinion, I've ordered a 12t
but I'll give the 13t a go because I won't be running full head speed (3770rpm) maybe 80%. ?
I am only a mild flyer really didn't need the H450 and don't belive I'll ever push esc or motor hard enough to cause problems hopefully!
Thanks for OP IsaiahSaldivar
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just installed the 450 motor with the HH 12 tooth pinion last week and it was plug and play.
neddy191 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozki View Post
i mean come on HH, a 440 in a 450...
How can you tell the difference between a genuine 450-class motor and something else? Is this a measure of how many windings or something? Are these numbers just arbitrary model numbers?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nothing set in concrete AFAIK.

I think a good rule of thumb is to take a look at what I think is the archetype of a 450 motor, a scorpion 2221 in all its guises, since it'll fit and power pretty much any 450 size heli I can think of.

I think the dimensions (can size) and motor bolt mounts (for compatibility) and approximate magnitude of power define this kind of motor.

The Blade motors are less powerful than a scorp but they are also smaller lighter and for a 4503D or X - they are ok. Sure you can bog it, but, not to the point that you cannot learn basic stuff on the heli.

I will be honest with you, the stock 450 X or 3D, I still cannot outfly.

Given the light weight of the Blade 450 airframe, I think it was a very reasonable design choice except for the shaft/bearing issue.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydeity View Post
i dont know if the stock esc will handle it, but when (if???) i replace my main motor, im considering the 450 motor, and whatever motor i decide on, a new esc.
my original plan was YGE, but ICE50 seems to be much more commonly used so may choose that instead
If you want to buy a genuine ESC compare the prices. Bundy I will pull up the local.

http://arkrc.com.au/msh41093-msh-pro...e-as-msh51093/

http://arkrc.com.au/products/010%252...hless-ESC.html

I think you will find ice lite's cheaper from the US but I believe the YGE price ARK is asking for is very reasonable. Apart from that they are reliable. (If you're in the US I would buy it from ElektroRC or msh-direct - good guys).

Also remember, the YEP clone is like $25 bucks.

Caveat: Personally I have no other perspective other than YGE/YEP - the documentation on the YGE is ... scant. but I know how to use it so I will buy it again, in preference to a Castle. Always. The dodgy area is how much you want to spend on an ESC given the YEP is so cheap.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bundydeity you could also upgrade to the H450 without upgrading your esc ! I've taken a punt and are trying out the H450 with stock 35amp esc like others have . Its too early to tell I've only run nine packs through and are only still a noob as they say , Temp of both motor and esc only warm too touch after three back to back flights doing mild circuts ,stall turns & first time IU flips and rolls!
The H450 has a really nice pitch/whistle during spool up ,then once you IU (80% 13t pinion) it sounds well Impressive!
I've modded my B450x and it really is a trap you can fall into but saying that I'm glade I bought the H450!
When and if my stock B450x esc dies I will have no other choice to upgrade my esc , untill then we'll see ?
The H450 is rated 610 watts 40 amp hard 3d may kill the esc anybody using this combo that flys hard 3d I would love to know your thoughts !
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't fly hard 3D but i have over 100 flights on the E-flight 450 and stock ESC with no trouble at all. And no plans to upgrade my ESC.
Allen_H is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Bundydeity you could also upgrade to the H450 without upgrading your esc ! I've taken a punt and are trying out the H450 with stock 35amp esc like others have . Its too early to tell I've only run nine packs through and are only still a noob as they say , Temp of both motor and esc only warm too touch after three back to back flights doing mild circuts ,stall turns & first time IU flips and rolls!
The H450 has a really nice pitch/whistle during spool up ,then once you IU (80% 13t pinion) it sounds well Impressive!
I've modded my B450x and it really is a trap you can fall into but saying that I'm glade I bought the H450!
When and if my stock B450x esc dies I will have no other choice to upgrade my esc , untill then we'll see ?
The H450 is rated 610 watts 40 amp hard 3d may kill the esc anybody using this combo that flys hard 3d I would love to know your thoughts !
Hello, I have the Eflite 450 installed on my 450x at the moment. The stock esc lasted about 25 flights of hard 3d and it always ran in excess of 130 degrees F which is never a good thing. I have replaced it with one of the most affordable esc's I could find with a governor in it (HobbyWing platinum pro 40a on low timing) this motor loves low timing and is very efficient. It barely gets warm on a 12t and the esc only reaches 115 degrees F. Im in Orlando so it gets hot down here.
Andrillox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in