Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Are there any "must do" things you should do with the 450x out of the box?

This is a new sticky thread for the 450X with tips/mods/etc to get the most out of it.

I will try to maintain this first post with some of the most useful posts that follow this one. There will be some redundancy as a result, but I will give it a try. Also, not sure if there is a limit on how long you can edit a post like this. We shall see!

Thanks!

Last edited by spiff72; 04-21-2013 at 11:19 AM..
spiff72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
I am surprised there isnt a sticky thread for this question, since it is a huge one over in the 130x forum, but are there any "must do" things with this helicopter before flying it?

The one that has jumped out at me as i browsed this forum is the switching of the SBEC from 5v to 6v and adding a diode to the power lead of the tail servo wire to limit its voltage back to 5v as a brownout protection measure.

Is there anything else? I plan on reading the manual as I wait a week for delivery. That should hopefully answer some of my beastx questions.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
That's the major one...IMO.....diodes are cheap, even at Radio Shack...

I did get the Blade CF tail blades....a touch of bling.....

Be sure to balance both your main and tail blades....especially the tails...to the best that you can.

Go through and check the entire Setup Menu from A thru N.....there are youtube videos of how to do the setup on the ARBX....

My 3 needed major adjustments out of the box new...

Also, I aligned the tail servo mount such that the "plane" of the tail servo wheel was perpendicular to the tiller arm of the tail assy......when you do this, and adjust the tail servo pushrod guide to ensure a "straight shot" to the tiller......you have less friction....

The DS76T, while blazing fast, has low torque..so friction is a facter.....

Once you get your pushrod aligned, use a drop or 2 of CA to afix the pushrod guide to the boom...so it doesn't shift.....

A digital pitch gauge is recommended....and rather than the Blade tool, I'd get a tripod swash leveler.
With a tripod, you can check for a level swash at not only mid-coll., but also at full pos/neg coll. mechanically, given that the AR7200BX has no full pos/neg swash leveling ability...unlike certain other FBL controllers

On another note...some have experienced the inner race of the pinion side motor bearing spinning of the motor main shaft.....bearing tolerances I guess.....just check for lateral play of the pinion against the main gear....no play, you're fine.....happens after many flights.

FWIW
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well you are probably going to crash at some point, I would cut the shrink wrap on the esc near the back about 1 inch in, so you can roll it back, then I would hot glue the capacitor really good so both wires coming out of the capacitor are set in the glue right to the board, this works really well and will keep the wires form vibrating loose and also keeps the capacitor from breaking free or loosing from a crash impact. Then roll back the shrink wrap and seal it with a piece of electrical tape. This also helps the capacitor from coming loose from changing batteries, sometimes the black wire can push against the capacitor if you are not careful when you are connecting the battery. If you notice most other esc's protect there capacitor or capacitors much better then the e-flite esc. This was a great tip I found very useful I read on this board.
Blackbriar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That too....

Coco found this issue....
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Great, thanks for the input guys...

Sounds like my great deal of a purchase is going to require some accessories then!

Any recommendation for a reasonably priced balancer and pitch guage?

I need to do some more reading here too on recommended batteries.

Thanks again

Last edited by spiff72; 04-13-2013 at 10:55 AM..
spiff72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Try this scale it it very accurate and surprising good quality, I use it on my main blades and tail blades.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190754519172...84.m1439.l2649

Here is a quote on how to balance blades
"I weigh both blades. This tells me how much weight i need to add. Find the CoG of the heavy blade and put a mark on it. Then I transfer that mark to the light blade. Check CoG on the light blade. This tells you where you need to add the weight (tip or root and how far from the CoG point to get them matched). Sounds tougher than it is.

If both blade weigh the same but the CoG is off, then I add weight on the CoG of one and the same weight to the other but offset to get the CoG to match."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Great, thanks for the input guys...

Sounds like my great deal of a purchase is going to require some accessories then!

Any recommendation for a reasonably priced balancer and pitch guage?

I need to do some more reading here too on recommended batteries.

Thanks again
Jeff

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks blackbriar...

That actually does make sense. I have a digital scale aleady, but it only goes to .1g increments. Is that enough, or does it need to be .01g?

I once tried to balance the tail blades on my 130X, by trial and error. I was chasing my tail (literally) and never really got it right. The tail blades on that heli weigh less than .1 grams each, so the scale was useless. I guess for $7 I should just bite the bullet!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

IMO I think the scale you have will work without any problems, maybe try it and if you have any issue get the one I posted.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Are there any "must do" things you should do with the 450x out of the box?

Too late! Already ordered one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

What is an ARBX? I got my new 450X yesterday and the battery charger burned up 2 seconds after I hooked it up--that was before I left the store. So they're getting me a new one. I'll be looking for these youtube repair/setup videos. I'll post here as I feel we should sticky them to the top of the forum.
Barnavis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ARBX is the AR7200BX - the combination Receiver/Flybarless Control unit. It is also known as the BeastX.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What causes brownouts?
DaddyPhatSaks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyPhatSaks View Post
What causes brownouts?
A brownout is what happens in your pants when you see your brand new heli "land" inverted at a high rate of speed.

But seriously, you might want to read this thread:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=421511

I spent last night reading it - interesting info. Basically if you leave the SBEC set to output 5V and draw a lot of current from the servos, you run the risk of the nominal 5V supply for the receiver (beastx) and servos dropping/sagging below the threshhold that the receiver needs to operate. When this happens, the Beastx can "reboot" and you lose control and crash. The SBEC has a swich that allows you to choose 6V operation, but the tail servo won't work at this higher voltage, so a diode is needed in the power lead to the tail servo to drop the voltage to a more optimal level. The cyclic servos are OK with the higher 6V SBEC output.

This is not terribly likely to happen if you are running the stock servos, but if you upgrade them and the replacements draw more current than stock, this risk increases significantly. I plan to do the switch even if I don't plan on upgrading servos anytime soon.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome, thanks
DaddyPhatSaks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question

hello dose the 450x ar7200bx come setup ? hope so I have 3 other fbl con. good ones but dont know how to setup. thats the reason I got this. IM a dummy, I have the naza h gps & the sk 340 & zyx to go on 3 other helis dont know any thing about setting up these things. can a dummy set the ar 7200bx?: thanks
pert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pert View Post
hello dose the 450x ar7200bx come setup ? hope so I have 3 other fbl con. good ones but dont know how to setup. thats the reason I got this. IM a dummy, I have the naza h gps & the sk 340 & zyx to go on 3 other helis dont know any thing about setting up these things. can a dummy set the ar 7200bx?: thanks
Yes, the Beastx is already setup on the 450x when you get it.

Also, watch these vids. He goes through an entire setup with the beastx:

A Main Hobbies' RCTalk: How to Setup BeastX Flybarless Gyro System, Part 1 of 3 (4 min 30 sec)

A Main Hobbies' RCTalk: How to Setup BeastX Flybarless Gyro System, Part 2 of 3 (5 min 22 sec)

A Main Hobbies' RCTalk: How to Setup BeastX Flybarless Gyro System, Part 3 of 3 (5 min 49 sec)

It's not the 450x, but it will get you more familiar with the Beastx settings.

Goblin 380 / Spirit FBL
Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Related to the post above, when I hold the 450X upside down, the tail pushrod curves near the servo and if I adjust the servo so the rod is straight (which is how I think it should be) the servo is tilted out to the port side. Is this ok?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just watched the 7 HH repair videos and it does seem this angled servo is the norm.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Someone has told me how to use report to request this be stickied.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

Here is a link to seven very useful repair videos from Horizon Hobby:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6460A0AA53DFEFCF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in