Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 130x with zyx-s fbl controller

When I read fabian1675's thread on his beastx conversion, https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=478900, I thought it was a great idea, I just didn't have a spare $200 fbl unit laying around. I went with the $60 Tarot Zyx-s. Here is the breakdown of parts:

ZYX-S- $60
Adapter for satellite receiver- $6
Bluetooth programming adapter- $8
DSMX remote receiver- $35
XP-12a- $24 (flashed)
Step down diode- $2
Regulator for esc- $2
Standard lightweight servo leads (5)- $15

So the whole experiment cost $152 plus shipping costs. If it doesn't workout it's totally reversible and the fbl unit could be used for other projects. The frame and servos were the only things modified, I would just have to solder the original plugs back on the linear servos to return to stock. Still a lot of tweaking to do, I've had it hovering in the garage trying to figure out the gyro menus and settings most of the time since I got it together. The bluetooth adapter is a very nice feature, you use an Android phone app to go through set up and tweak gyro settings. Here are some pics, it's a big mess right now (no worse than my 250 was before wire routing), just wanted to get it in the air.

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very interested to see how she flies

Looks a bit like its getting a Labotomy
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixfisto View Post
Very interested to see how she flies

Looks a bit like its getting a Labotomy
Looks very promising so far. There are a lot of adjustments that can be made, P and I gains for all axis, accel/ decel/ torque pre comp/ piro comp, all the goodies you get with a full fbl controller and you can do it all from your android phone. You just land, change a setting, and take off again. I'm about to figure out it's final mounting place, check cg, shorten and route leads. It seems to be very resistant to vibes, and you can adjust the gyro dead band for vibration sensitivity.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your project looks like a lot of fun. I'm gonna watch this space. I have a 130 with a board out and a xp12 sitting there. And I'd like to try out the zyx.

I might have to bug you for more info.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab223 View Post
Your project looks like a lot of fun. I'm gonna watch this space. I have a 130 with a board out and a xp12 sitting there. And I'd like to try out the zyx.

I might have to bug you for more info.
If you decide to do it, do some research on your satellite receiver/ tx combo. I bought a dsm2 sat and spent half a day trying to get it to work with the zyx-s. I gave up, switched it out for the dsmx sat on my trex, and got it bound right up with no issues.

On the advice of dylan and dch I added a regulator to the xp-12a's linear bec which is only a 1a output, so far so good. With the bird secured to the bench I spooled it up with some positive pitch and just spun the cyclic for 2 minutes, no brownout, esc wasn't hot, servos weren't either. Running the stepdown takes the 5v output from the bec down to 4.3v which is still .1v higher than the operating range of the linears, but they seem to be handling it and I'm sure that drops under load. The zyx-s voltage range is 3.5 to 9 volts, so there is some room there. Both the diode and regulator are available at Radioshack.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

looks like it was raped or attacked by the flying spaghetti monster
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very cool project! Gives me a few ideas that's for sure!

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Subscribed ~ Interested to see how it turns out... Looks like a lot of extra added weight, might consider shortening up the wires to on what is needed. Will be nice to see if its agility is not lost.
jdExtraZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, way to steal my idea, LOL, just kidding.

I also have a ZYX-S bird waiting for one servo, then I can fly it and get a review out.

You might want to try getting rid of the bluetooth and a few wires. Pretty much anything that is not necessary for it to fly. Keep the weight down as much as possible because this bird needs to be light. Good job otherwise.
kdrcguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrcguy View Post
Nice, way to steal my idea, LOL, just kidding.

I also have a ZYX-S bird waiting for one servo, then I can fly it and get a review out.

You might want to try getting rid of the bluetooth and a few wires. Pretty much anything that is not necessary for it to fly. Keep the weight down as much as possible because this bird needs to be light. Good job otherwise.
Once I'm sure of the mounting position I'll start working on wiring, Once I'm done tuning the unit I'll remove the bluetooth. How did you mount yours?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's flying extremely well, feels very solid, still some tweaks to be done but I'm sure now that it is not only going to work but it's going to be awesome. I had an idea to drop some weight, see the below pic. I removed the platic servo plug and just put heatshrink on the bullet plugs. With this idea I can use the tiny wires that come on the linear servos, that will drop a considerable amount of weight and make wire routing much easier and cleaner.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc76 View Post
It's flying extremely well, feels very solid, still some tweaks to be done but I'm sure now that it is not only going to work but it's going to be awesome. I had an idea to drop some weight, see the below pic. I removed the platic servo plug and just put heatshrink on the bullet plugs. With this idea I can use the tiny wires that come on the linear servos, that will drop a considerable amount of weight and make wire routing much easier and cleaner.

Nice, good job. I might build another 130X using this unit. Can you do me a favor and give me the dimension of the unit with the case removed. LXWXH, thanks, glad this is working out for you. I'm having alot of fun with mine. You might want to consider making a mount similar to what I did to my BeastX
Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian1675 View Post
Nice, good job. I might build another 130X using this unit. Can you do me a favor and give me the dimension of the unit with the case removed. LXWXH, thanks, glad this is working out for you. I'm having alot of fun with mine. You might want to consider making a mount similar to what I did to my BeastX
Thanks man, I made a plastic mount out of a container lid, the plastic container that spektrum stick extensions come in. I cut it to size and sanded it down to about 1.2mm thick.

The unit is 35.5l x 25w x 10h(the data plug sticks out about 1mm on one side and the set button sticks out a little less on the other side. I cut out some of the plastic pillars on the side of the frame so I can access the plug and the button. In fact I kept trying different things and ended up cutting too much, so the frame has too much flex. I figured that may happen, once I'm 100% sure on the mounting I'll either replace the frame or just reinforce with carbon fiber rods.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got it cleaned up a little. I removed the plastic case from the satallite rx, shortened wires, and added zipties. I've got the controller wedged in the frame with Scotch 4011 everywhere it can touch.

Haven't been able to do too much test and tune, crashed inverted after going too long on a stock 300 pack and broke the main hub and cracked the main shaft. LHS didn't have any main shafts so I tried to repair with CA, better than it was but not good. Also I've got a broken motor wire on my HP08 , so I'm pretty much dead in the water right now, it spools up to maybe just over half throttle. I tried soldering the broken wire, didn't work too well, I'll try again when my head clears. It was flying damn good before the crash though. The tail is much better, even running the stock servo, piros smooth, stops with no bounce back. Haven't been able to test it with backward bank turns or taildown funnels yet, hopefully I can get the other issues sorted soon. Some more pics:

Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got all the mechanical issues worked out, I had 3 crashes (2 on cement) before I had to replace any parts but damn did I have to overhaul this thing this week.
Repaced main hub and shaft, buttoned it up and stripped the plastic a gear.
Fixed that with a metal A gear which has up and down play so I need to shim.
Broke a wire on the hpo8, fixed that and see my C gear is stripped.
While fixing that my 3rd bearing pops out.
Fix that and go to setup the zyx-s and notice jittery cyclic servos which I should have cleaned while I had the bird completely disassembled.
Get that sorted, get the mechanical setup done, and get a jittery tail servo that had to be cleaned...
What a week, this morning I was finally able to start tuning the gyro, got the tail setup for a nice stable hover and now I can finally get it to the field for a proper test and tune.Fingers crossed....
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Godspeed...
jdExtraZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

How did it go?
HankAz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFingerHank View Post
How did it go?

It went great!

I put just 3 packs through tweaking the tail. So far so very good, I think this bird is going to be capable of continuous piro flips and maneuvers just like a big heli, unfortunately it's pilot isn't yet. Still alot to learn about this controller, in between packs I was reading up on the advanced settings, there is a bunch: p/i/d gains, accell/ decel. Piro optimization and torque pre comp are beautiful things Bottom line is it piros flat, stops with no bounce, climbs dead straight, and funnels with no drift or wag.
I haven't really touched the cyclic menu yet other than overall gain and it's flying well with the "3d soft" preset. My hp08 still isn't reaching max headspeed. I think I'm going to order a spin 8000.

Still my only concern is the 4.3 volts to the servos, .1v above their advertised operating range.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

6 more packs today, 26 total since the conversion, no servo failures yet and they come down cool to the touch. I spent the first pack today further dialing in the tail stopping behavior, after that I spent the last 5 just flying. It's doing great, tail works like it's supposed to. I tested it with:
Half piro flips, flat piros, traveling cw piro circuits (as good as I can do them which isn't fast), tail down and nose down funnels ccw and cw, hurricanes upright and inverted cw and ccw.
Tail is solid. Still haven't touched the cyclic menu, feels a little off on flips and rolls but feels good in normal flight, not sure if it's overshooting or undershooting but it needs work. Now that the tail is good I'll start on the cyclic.

More pics below, I bought a new frame because I pretty much mangled my original one trying different mounting options. I didn't feel like cutting and filing last night so I just took the easy route for now and mounted it under the frame. I replaced all 4 servo leads with the stock gauge wires and standard servo plugs, plastic male plug removed with heatshrink over the bullets. I had to put the stock motor back in due to the hp08 issues, it's a dog. I replaced it originally because it was bogging big time and just felt worn out, it is obviously no better with the extra weight.

The only wire left to shorten is to the sat rx, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking of just leaving the unit where it is, no frame cutting or filing and it is easier to remove. I'm more worried about function over looks so I'm happy with it where it is.

I thnk it's almost time to shoot some flight video

Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you getting the shudders & shakes? That is what is driving me crazy and I'm trying the BX route just haven't been home to mess with it. I just bought a used ALIGN 250 to try. If it works out I might get rid of this thing, way to much maintenance.
HankAz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in