Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Spektrum telemetry log viewer application

Over the past few of months, I've had a bit of time on my hands, so thought I'd have a go at writing a Windows based Spektrum Telemetry log reader as none was currently available, half way through the project after spending hours analysing the data, the RoboSoftware app appeared and I thought should I continue or not. I made the decision to carry on, as most of the hard work had been done and it was just a matter of coding it.

The first cut of the app is now complete and tested with the data that i have on hand and currently supports all sensors except Vario and Jetcat, so if anyone would like to have a play with it and comment,make suggestions or highlight errors, especially if you have data available for airspeed, altitude, current and PowerBox sensors, you can download it from here:-

http://boxhillheliclub.co.uk/wp-cont...etryReader.zip

Its a java based Windows app, so if you have a Windows 32 bit java runtime environment 1.6 or later installed on your machine, you should just have to unpack the zip and double click the TelemetryReader.jar file, if it fails to start you probably don't have a java runtime environment installed and will need to install the appropriate Windows 32 bit JRE for your environment from here :-

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1880261.html

In addition its only been tested on XP and Vista as thats all I have available, so if anyone has issues with Windows 7 or 8 let me know, you may also be able to get it to run on Windows 7/8 by changing the compatibility options to XP/Vista. Another issue is the file associations for java may be incorrect in Windows 7 / 8, so if you have the JRE installed, try opening a command window and move to the directory where you unpacked the jar and type javaw -jar TelemetryReader.jar

Once the app is started, use File->Open menu to open a .TLM file, once you get the little green light telling you the file has loaded, select a model and session from the drop down box.

The app will display a list of tabs showing which sensors you have configured and selecting the tab will display the data if any is available. Note just because you see a tab for a particular sensor doesn't mean you have data, it just means you've configured it in the radio.

You can change displayed units of the data by selecting either the Metric or Imperial option from the Units menu.

Selecting either Tabular or Graphical radio buttons within the view will change the current view displayed to either a table or graph of the data.

When you exit the program the current units and view type will be saved and used next time you open the application as will the current directory.

The graph data is generated using a third party library, swt-xy-graph,
The graphs contains a number of buttons at the top that allow you to zoom and highlight the data etc, the following video gives a quick overview of the features available.

XYGraphDemo (2 min 40 sec)

Within the zip file is a TelemetryAppIcon file which contains an icon that you can associate with a shortcut if you wish.

I had fun writing it so hope you like it as much as I do.

Kevin

Last edited by kevinww; 04-29-2013 at 04:48 PM..
kevinww is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Updated version available 0.2.

http://boxhillheliclub.co.uk/wp-cont...Reader_0.2.zip

Update includes a new filtering facility that attempts to remove upward data spikes from charts, that screw up the scaling. It takes an average of all the data and removes any data item that is drastically higher than average and replaces it with the average value.

A couple of bug fixes to RX chart.

Kevin
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Note there is an error in airspeed telemetry data displayed that will be fixed in the next version.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the efforts Kevin.Ive personally been using the robo viewer and havent had alot of extra time to check yours out indepth.Ill try to spend a little more time with it and give some feedback.Its most definitely a challenging project.I really like the looks of it.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

New updated version 0.4 of TelemetryReader available here:-

Changes include :-

New functionality

1. Export Model CSV file in File menu. Exports all data for currently selected model in a csv format.
2. Export Sensor CSV file in File menu.Exports data for currently selected sensor in csv format
3. Export of a KML file in file menu. Exports selected GPS data if available in KML format that can be viewed in Google Earth.

Note CSV exports use a semi-colon ';' as a delimiter to try and minimise internationalization issues.

Fixes

1. Fixed speed sensor data.
2. Fixed Standard telemetry graph when rpm data is not available.
3. Fixed GPS graph error that showed a line back to zero time in some cases.
4. Minor tweaks to filtering values.

Kevin
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work Kevin!
I'd be nice if individual channel data could be filtered out [I don't want to see voltage besides RPM & temp].

Thanks for the hard work anyways!

Cheers,

Dokee
dokee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for this - I am really keen to make use of this, but cant figure out how to set my DX8 to log the TM1000 data to the SD card - could someone give me pointers on how to do this.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
Thanks for this - I am really keen to make use of this, but cant figure out how to set my DX8 to log the TM1000 data to the SD card - could someone give me pointers on how to do this.
In the Telemetry menu at the end click on Settings and then on the next click File Settings.Set it to Enable-Yes and set a switch to activate it.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokee View Post
Nice work Kevin!
I'd be nice if individual channel data could be filtered out [I don't want to see voltage besides RPM & temp].
I'll have a look at adding that feature, however if you just wish to remove a line from a graph you can achieve this by selecting the Configure Settings button in the graph, select the Traces tab, then from the drop down select the trace line you want to exclude and select Point in the Traces Type field and apply. You can also play with colors and other stuff using the Configure Settings options.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
In the Telemetry menu at the end click on Settings and then on the next click File Settings.Set it to Enable-Yes and set a switch to activate it.
Thanks for that.

Now, next question - It allows you to change the file name from "SPEKTRUM", but does not save the file name.
I would like to save uniquely named files for each of the two models that I have the TM1000 installed - is this possible ?

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
Thanks for that.

Now, next question - It allows you to change the file name from "SPEKTRUM", but does not save the file name.
I would like to save uniquely named files for each of the two models that I have the TM1000 installed - is this possible ?
On the DX7s and 8 its not possible at this time. The custom filename feature was added recently on the 10t and 18. Possibly it will trickle down.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Version 0.5 Available

Latest Version 0.5 available here :-

Updates

New Functionality

Added ability to add/remove elements displayed on graphs via check boxes displayed below the graphs.

Fixes

Minor bug fixes found during development.

Kevin
Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kevin,

I'm out of ideas trying to run this. I have Windows 7 and I've installed the Java SE Runtime Environment 7.
If I double click the jar or run javaw from the command line it just does nothing?

Cheers
Steve
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steve

You need to make sure that you installed the 32 bit JRE not the 64bit JRE as that will definatly fail. I know there are issues with Windows 7 file associations and jar files which could be your issue with clicking on the jar.

Can you try running it with java -jar TelemetryReader.jar from the command line and it may give you a bit more info about whats going on.

I assume you have moved to the location where you unpacked the zip file when you open the command window and before trying to run the jar file, using the CD command ?
So for example I unpack it into a directory called TLMApp in my current users directory, so when I run it from the command prompt I have to type CD TLMApp to move to this directory before i run the jar.

Kevin
Old 05-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kevin

I have installed the 32 bit version.

I just copied the jar to C:

Then ran java in the same root folder as follows:

C:\>java -jar TelemetryReader.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/kw/teleme
try/app/TelemetryAppWindow : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknow n Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoa der.main(JarRsrcLoa
der.java:56)

C:\>
Old 05-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

After messing about a bit, it now runs from explorer.

Not sure what I did unfortunately, but I'm away now. I'll have a go at loading my .tlm file in.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

That gives me a bit more info, give me 10 minutes and I'll put a new version up for you to try.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you missed my edit.

Works fine now thanks. Loads the data in fine as well.

Thanks for your efforts
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't tell from the Rx Telemetry Graphical View that I had no holds and no frame losses.

I'm not sure why I haven't got any data for R and B. I thought I would because I'm using an additional satellite. I'll have a play tomorrow and check it out on the transmitter.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok glad you got it working and its good to know that it runs under Windows 7.

RX Graphical has drawn all values at 0 so thay appear on the axis which makes it seem like thay havn't been drawn, you can change the view using the toolbar at the top of the graph to zoom the axis which should then show the lines.

Reciever would be A, additional sat depending where the sat is plugged it will be either B, R or L.
so generally you would only get A,B,R & L if you had an RX with 3 sats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in