Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Electronics

Electronics Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Castlelink gov mode settings

Hi guys,
I have a tr550 dfc running with a scorpion 890, 112 main gear and 13 pinion, Talon 90 esc, and put about a kilo of weight on to try and replicate a scale fuse. I have purchased the Castlelink and downloaded the program. My dx7s is still setup with the "normal" Th curve which I have been flying with - 90 90 90 90 100.
I have set the Castlelink gov mode to 1555 (75%) 1730 (84%) 1850 (90%)
2 q's before I try her out -
Do I need to reset my Th curve in the Tx
and
What do you think about my gov settings.
Farmer Joe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Joe

The instructions tell you how to do it.

Normal = 0, 30, 30 = Speed 1
ST1 = 60, 60, 60 = Speed 2
ST2 = 100, 100, 100 = Speed 3

The actual throttle setting bears no relation to the throttle % - it just tells the ESC which speed to use.

BTW, 75% governor may result in heat in ESC unless you are in Tassie

My guess is that you would want to run around 1600rpm for a two blade 550 (I run 1800rpm on my 2 blade 500 UH-1N), so you would be thinking about gearing to try to get around 1700-1750rpm at 95%, which is the highest speed you can govern at, and try not to go below about 85%.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought the instructions state 70% for St1?
Stabes70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I am also sure the setting is 70% for the Idle 1 speed. Farmer Joe, consider using the 12 or 11t pinion for your setup. I am running my Jet Ranger with the same motor but slightly different gearing at 1450 rpm. You can easily get there with the 11t pinion. I am using a set of Pro 3D blades and at that rpm level, I could do some mild aerobatics (I don't though) as there is lots of power and this will also fly very fast. I changed my gearing to one tooth larger and the change was very noticeable in speed and power consumption. I am thinking of going back to the one before as it was smoother and used less power at the exact same rpm level. I can't figure that one out. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Re: Castlelink gov mode settings

Throttle curves will be different depending upon which governor mode you choose to run.

Sent from my phone
Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Throttle curves will be different depending upon which governor mode you choose to run.

Sent from my phone
Not if if you use set RPM..
Normal/30%
Idle1/70%
Idle2/100%
Stabes70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Exactly, it depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you want to be able to change head speeds via throttle curve (outside of Castle Link), then you don't want Set RPM Gov mode. You would choose Gov mode High (depending upon your target RPM). You can only change head speeds for Set RPM through Castle Link.

The reason I choose Set RPM is so I can easily clear the data logging in the field via the transmitter. Yes you could probably do it in Set RPM as well, but it would call for changing at least one point on your throttle curve to 100% every time you wanted to do it, then changing the curve back for flying.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply guys. I made a few adjustments according to your recommendations and she flys great. The gov really takes that bounciness out of flying.

Joe
Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

By the way Keyrigger, next time i order parts i will take your suggestion re gearing. I want to get a little lower headspeeds but with my current gearing i suspect i will overheat my motor.

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabes70 View Post
I thought the instructions state 70% for St1?
They might. From memory;

Speed 1 = any % between 1 and 50
Speed 2 = any % between 51 and 99
Speed 3 = 100%

So in Set RPM mode (which is what I thought the OP was referring to), there would be no difference between a 52% throttle curve and a 95% throttle curve.

Happy to be corrected

If the motor has a 5mm shaft then a 12T pinion might be OK, but not sure about 11T. For a motor with a 6mm shaft, I would strongly advise against anything smaller than 13T. There have been several cases reported in this forum (including one of mine) where a 12T 6mm Mod 0.7 pinion shattered. It is because there is just not enough metal between the root of the tooth and the hole.

Colin
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Colin:

The Mod1.gearing of the slant type with the 112t main gear is really heavy duty, unlike the Mod .7 gearing of the older systems. I even have a 10t pinion and it is really solid for the Mod 1. There is not a snowflake's chance in Hades of the pinion shattering. I have the 10t pinion because I saw it and figured that it may work to increase the speed of the motor further into its power band yet keep the rotor speed at 1450. It is running at 80% governed. Take care.

Don
Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don

Thanks. I wasn't aware that the OP had Mod 1 slant gearing on his 550. There are a few different version out, and many 550s have the same gearing as the older 600s, with 170T Mod 0.7 straight gear.

Colin
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Colin:

It gets better. There is a slant gear Mod .7 out there from Align as well. Just like its straight toothed version, it is also subject to the really tiny webbing in the smaller pinions. You don't see too many of those in action around these parts as most of the older helicopters used for 3D have been relegated to the basement and replaced by updated versions. I know there is a ton of old 600ESP's out there that can be reworked into really nice scale chassis'. Give it time and they will be on the market when the next generation hits and the guys looking for those older ESP's and E's will have a field day snapping them up. Of course, one could always hope......

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in