EFLR7100 tail servo success - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default EFLR7100 tail servo success

Just thought I'd post my experience with this. Had one of these servos hanging around for my 540QQ plank (great plane btw) and figured I'd give it a try. It uses the same plug as the ds35 so I simply unplugged my ds35, plugged in the 7100, connected a battery and it worked perfectly. Next step, mounting. Took a stock tail servo mount and cut it in half because the 7100 is slightly longer than the stocker and the ds35. The direction of the 7100 is backwards from the 35 so it needed to be mounted on the right side of the boom. I used the single sided servo arm that came with it and the first hole (closest to the servo spline) matched perfectly with the second hole on the 35's arm which most people seem to be using. Since I'm still using the stock tail control rod I was able to basically plug it in and slide the servo mount around a little til I had everything lined up nicely. First hover went perfectly. Tail on my heli is the best its ever been. I thought it responded precisely and I haven't checked yet but I believe my tail gain is on default setting. I have spent a bit of time on this 130 getting the tail vibe-free so was quite bummed when on the next hover, dumb thumbed it into my couch and bent the tail shaft and ruined a brand new set of Lynx tail blades. So before I get to try it out actually flying I got to replace those items.
I'm not a 3D flyer yet so I won't be able to comment on that aspect of flight, it'd be interesting to hear some of you better flyers trying this out and commenting on it. As far as looks go, its a little more stealth than the ds35 with its black case. Its also not as tall so I think it almost looks like a stock part. Looking forward to hearing anyone elses experience with this option. Jim
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Saturday morning update

All went well. Flew 5 packs thru it and had a friend flip and roll it around for another pack. Only issue, looked like in fast backwards flight it might be blowing out a tiny bit. Actually had tail gain on -5 to start out with and worked up to +5. Absolutely no tail wag in any of those settings. Tail looked very locked in I'd have to say better than even the ds35. As far as reliability goes, I've been chucking the plank they come from around for a few months now with zero issues. Maybe this might be a winner?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still working well.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Can you post pics of mounting? Thanks
/ 130x, 180cfx, 300x, X3, x3L, X4-II, Protos 380, x5, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 500 stretch, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, DX18, 07 Harley Road King/04 Sportster, Traxxas Summit/X-Maxx, Vaterra 67 Mustang

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for checking this servo and posting the details! I know a lot of us are still looking for that magic DS35 replacement.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no way to post pics at the moment. But it looks exactly like the the way the stock servo is located on the boom. I cut across the channel that the boom fits into on either side of the tab on the bottom of the channel. There's also 2 little tabs on the right side of the servo mount that the the 2 mounting screws go into. They actually work pretty well to space the 7100 and maybe keep it from flexing around a bit? Position the servo on the bottom of the mount with the servo spline located at front (closest to the frame) and install the two screws to hold the the servo in place. If you're already runnung a ds35 with the adapter wire its literally PNP For a temp mount it seems to work pretty well. I've just been flying it to see how it holds up and maybe someone with a bit better fab skills than myself can come up with a better one. After flying my ds35 130 side by side with the 7100 I do prefer the 7100. The ds35 I have is pre-debacle too. The 7100 just seems to be more precise and less vague and like I stated earlier no wag at any gain I checked between -5 and +5. Next time I take it out I'll try going from -10 to +10 to see if any problems crop up.
I do hope someone else tries this to see if it works well for them too. Servo costs $20 or so mount is probably free if you have as many 130 parts as I do!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hows the servo working for you? Still going strong?
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default @jason

Sorry I haven't posted more but the last few weeks life kinda got in the way. This weekend I'm hoping to go fly a bit. Last time I went to fly on my first flight of the day I completely destroyed my MA Fury 55. Kinda put a damper on things. The only thing I really want to check is how well the tail holds in fast backwards flight. Last time I flew it I put it into a tail first hover about 30 yards away and just came back at myself at about half speed. Also did a few tail first passes wagging the tail back and forth a little to see if it would blow out. Not a trace of blowout. Don't know if this is a valid way to check for this sort of thing. I'll try going full speed next time. Had the tail gain on +5. I'm also going to try messing with the gain to see if there's a spot it doesn't like. All of this was going to happen on the day I crashed... Will post again this weekend good or bad.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The latest

Well, everything went great this weekend. Put 3 packs thru the bird on Saturday before the wind kicked up pretty bad and put an end to the testing. Left the gain on +5 for starters and flew the first pack almost entirely in reverse. Took it up to about 40 feet, put the tail down and hit the gas. The tail initially blew to the side about a half inch, then caught and stayed there. I tried this several times and it seemed to not like to stay right on center but slightly off a bit. I could hold it on center with a bit of stick work but nothing to bad. Funny, I could put the tail off to the side and accelerate backwards that way and the tail would stay put not a trace of wag or anything. Almost gave myself a haircut a few times!
Day 2. The testing resumes. Upped the gain all the way to +10. Didn't blow to the side as bad. For some reason it just seems to settle a bit to the side . Maybe a setup issue? I don't know. The wind kicked up again pretty bad so I tried another pack in those conditions with the same results. Still no wag or shakes.
What have I learned? To fly backwards better than I ever have. The servo works well for me and how I fly. It held well in stationary backflips, FFF with big fast banked turns, seems to piro well. No downside for me. Maybe as I progress in my flying skills I'll uncover a flaw but for the time being I've found my ds35 replacement. Now, time to order a couplamore for my 2 other 130's. Jim
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So would you reckon its better than the DS35? There are reports that the new shipment HH just got in are fixed and working again on the 130x.
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Between my ds35 and my 7100 I prefer the 7100. The only unknown is its ability to keep up with hardcore 3D. One of my flying buddies just got a 130 so I'm going to hand him the keys to my 7100 bird and let him fly it like it was his. Will post back when that happens. Might be a moot point though because as you mentioned the new ds35's are supposed to be fixed.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default more flight testing

Was determined today to try and make it fail. Dropped gain to -10 and really pushed my flying abilities in the wind, choppy conditions about 5-10 mph. Did some fast banked turns then turned up against the wind sideways and backflipped. First time went okay caught a break between gusts. Second time hit the wind perfectly and totally blew the tail out. Sort of looked like it was piro-flipping as the tail was trying to catch up. Wish I could do that on purpose! Managed to not crash as it was up a few mistakes high. It took just the right angle to make it happen and I was only able to duplicate that once more.
Next test I figured maybe my setup isn't optimal so I switched the rudder control rod to the middle hole of the servo arm. I'd also restored the gain back to +5. Whoa.. upon take off it was evident the gain needed to come down. First sign of tail wag, very slight. Dropped down to -3 and it was better but not perfect yet. Fast backwards flight now has no blowout at all, just stays locked in. I'm going to continue to try this setup until its dialed in.
I was looking at my Lynx ds35 mount and with a bit a dremel work this servo might fit. Gonna be hard to grind on that little beauty.
Hope this helps guys.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool stuff jiminator. My DS 35 is getting ready to crap out. It is notchy and has left and right tail kick. Has about 200 flights so I cannot complain. Does the 7100 work with the board or did you use extension plug?
stablehover is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the same extension for the 7100 that the ds35 uses. I think you can get them separately now instead of having to buy the MH servo mount to get one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.