Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Using the DS-16 with a sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedRaptor77 View Post
I cut my cord and installed a servo plug in the middle (White Wire Center Pin is PPM, Red Wire is Ground). I plugged it into a R6 in PPM Positive set to 20ms, output 8 channels. I used an old Rx pack and switch to power the Rx. It is completely wireless and no sim stick is needed. If you really wanted to you could tap into the 5 volts on the USB wire to not have to use a Rx pack. Works perfectly.
BAM!

No simstick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

And anyone trying to get a cable from Jeti and actually wants to drill a hole in the back of the radio, you can go to any electronics store and get the plug. Also if you are using a different sim that allows a joystick to be used you don't need anything because the supplied USB cable allows you to use your radio as a gaming joystick
BustedRaptor77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a way to sell more sim sticks I guess.

Busted,

That's great that you got it working !
Spinny02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

What part is not FCC approved, the stereo plug or the cable? Or is it only if they are together forming a "transmitter part" ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
I cut my cord and installed a servo plug in the middle (White Wire Center Pin is PPM, Red Wire is Ground). I plugged it into a R6 in PPM Positive set to 20ms, output 8 channels. I used an old Rx pack and switch to power the Rx. It is completely wireless and no sim stick is needed. If you really wanted to you could tap into the 5 volts on the USB wire to not have to use a Rx pack. Works perfectly.
I don't have my Jeti system yet, but i went ahead and soldered up a cable similar to Busted Raptors. I used the male to male 3.5mm jack that came with my bootleg sim. In my cable there was 3 wires: black, red, and white. I got out my meter and ohmed it out and checked voltage on with it plugged in. I came up with red being hot (+5Vdc). The white and black both read as a ground when read to the red wire. And nothing when read between each other. I went with busted finding and soldered it up with the white as the signal wire and black as the ground. My goal is to power the RX and send PPM through the same wire. I tried plugging in a Spektrum reciever I had laying around and it wouldn't come on. I'm not really sure why not, but i would assume that i have the black and white crossed up. It seemed as tho my cable is using white as ground and black as signal.

I tried swapping the white and black and had the same results. The receiver didn't power on. I'm pretty much stumped. I have no doubt that the power is in the correct place. Is it possible that there is no ground and both black and white are signal wires? From looking at the pinouts on Google it seems as like there is a left and right signal and a power when using it for headphones or a TX, RX, and power when using it with a headphone/mic combo.

If what I am trying to do is not possible with the single plug, would it be possible to use this cable just for signal and cut up and old USB cable just for power and ground? It would also be very helpful if Busted could tell me which part of the 3.5mm he used for what (tip, middle, base). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Controlled by: Jeti DS-16
Clay333 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you cut the cord what ever is the tip on the stereo plug is the signal. It may be wired where the shielding runs to ground. See if you get 5 volts between what ever lead is hot and the shielding. If so use that.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
When you cut the cord what ever is the tip on the stereo plug is the signal. It may be wired where the shielding runs to ground. See if you get 5 volts between what ever lead is hot and the shielding. If so use that.
Unfortunately the cable I am using is unshielded. It definitely helps to know that the tip is signal. Do you happen to know where your ground is on the plug? Thanks

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay333 View Post
Unfortunately the cable I am using is unshielded. It definitely helps to know that the tip is signal. Do you happen to know where your ground is on the plug? Thanks
On mine the middle ring on the stereo jack was ground.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
On mine the middle ring on the stereo jack was ground.
Ok, sounds good. I will likely just use your setup and cut up a power only USB cord I have to power the Rx. Thanks alot.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here.

This works.

Perfectly.

No battery required - USB port supplies some 5 volts...

You'll need to get one of those clone dongles, and if you don't already have an original dongle, that's not very nice or ethical, or indeed legal. But I'm not going to tell anyone what to do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130521 Jeti-6686.jpg
Views:	2539
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	422051  
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
Here.

This works.

Perfectly.

You'll need to get one of those clone dongles, and if you don't already have an original dongle, that's not very nice or ethical, or indeed legal. But I'm not going to tell anyone what to do.
Clever! I have already ordered a clone dongle and plan to do the same. I already own Phoenix, so I don't feel bad about doing that.

The antennas are much shorter than the R9 receiver that I'm using on with the SimStick. Is the R6 a park range receiver?
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotto View Post

The antennas are much shorter than the R9 receiver that I'm using on with the SimStick. Is the R6 a park range receiver?
I don't know, but I suppose it's rated for indoors. The only reason I got the R6 was to use it specifically with the sim. The specs page said it had 10cm antennas instead of the usual 20, so I went for that. Also, unlike the RSAT2, it has normal servo-out, so if this experiment had failed, I'd still be able to use it with the simstick pro.

You'll have to solder the servo cable to the dongle yourself, but it's not hard - There's lot's of empty space on that board.

As things are now, I have a simstick pro and a regular simstick that I've no need for anymore. I'll still keep one of the regular ones to use with my DX8 though.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't use any sims that require Dongels so I simply grabbed a USB adapter for a Spectrum DX8 and soldered the PPM out from the R9 directly to it... Add a little shrink wrap and stickers and I am good to go!

It works perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	422052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1890.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	422053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	422054  
MadMatt986 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt986 View Post
I don't use any sims that require Dongels so I simply grabbed a USB adapter for a Spectrum DX8 and soldered the PPM out from the R9 directly to it... Add a little shrink wrap and stickers and I am good to go!

It works perfectly!
Really nice MadMatt986!
Sanction is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotto View Post
Clever! The antennas are much shorter than the R9 receiver that I'm using on with the SimStick. Is the R6 a park range receiver?
Just in case you don't know the shorter antenna doesn't mean shorter range. The shorter antenna is to make it more manageable in park flyer, notably smaller.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt986 View Post

It works perfectly!
Love the way you shrink wrapped everything together. This is my arrangement right now. will do the same.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	422076  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanction View Post
Really nice MadMatt986!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Love the way you shrink wrapped everything together. This is my arrangement right now. will do the same.

I have an RSat2 reserved for my X2 that I was tempted to use to make the package nice and compact but sanity told me to use the R9 as I would probably never put it in a Heli.

BTW, If you are not afraid to "commit" to the solution then you can carefully shorten the antennas by simply removing the outer coax shielding. Just make sure the unshielded portion is the same length as the original (31mm IIRC). I used 2 layers of heat shrink tubing on the antennas ( 3 at the base) so they bend nicely but won't break that easily.

It nice to run the NeXt sim on my Plasma while standing 2 meters away
Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I'm done mucking around with how to get this done. I've got my Simstick working and I want to USE my simulator with my DS-16 vs. talk about how I can get that done.

At least my audience is consistant.
He likes watching helis as much as he likes tasting them

Old 05-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
Here.

This works.

Perfectly.

Which simulator do you use this for? I consider purchasing RealFlight G6.5, but I don't want to be dependent on that silly dummy Interlink transmitter.
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in