Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Breiti -b

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nice Tight Flips

Let's hear your tips for nice tight flips. I know, I know, it's all about timing and collective, but I need some real tips. At times I can nail some really tight flips and others it's like W-T-H am I doing. This is starting to feel like golf...variable performance based on planet alignment.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Yakky,

I know what you mean. You did not feel comfortable doing flips or even you are not sure, if you work it out correct.
This a problem in general, doing some new stuff, there's no good feeling at some point.

I startet last year teaching Model Helicopter flying.
So for you some interesting aspects:
First tip is, setup your dual/rates to your skill level. Mostly of us pilots have set up it too fast.
So if you flip constantly by stick maximum (aileron or elevator) does it feel good, is it to fast or even to slow? Maybe you have to adjust your settings.
Even not only for flips but also important on Tail setup D/R.
Increasing speed will come itself by practice and you can adjust your settings to your skill level.

Next point, split the flip in two half, meaning 180 (upside down), stop and control it. Than complete flip by next 180 (right side up), stop and control it. This little breaks will give you a better feeling of control the figure. By exercising again and again, you can short the breaks to none.

Make not thousends of flips on each other. You will loose visual control and loose feeling of rotating the heli.

Mostly important advice on my students:
Don't look at the tail unless you have to look at it.
That means, learning visual control at your heli (fix points). For example looking at Skid, Nose or rotor disk.
But sometimes it is neccessary to watch the tail to get back control.

Cheers
electronjunkie and yakky like this.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, the tip about stopping it in the middle is a great one, I'll give it a try!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

one thing that is good about that comment is if you stop and do a correction- how can you do that 1/2 flip without needing the correction. If that makes sense. typically it is where or how you start has a bearing on how you end up. Or if you aren't level first you won't be level after sort of thing.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure I understood you correctly. You asking for the result of this possibility.
The benefit of the break is to learn how to get control to the figure. Right on the point of the break, you will make micro stickmoves. This will work out your muscle memory. Later you will control the whole figure without break and make all this micromoves without thinking about it.
Split stickmovement of a figure is only one way to learn, but in my sence the best if you have no teacher.

Anyway, if you will learn manouvers by yourself it takes a long way to control yourself and probably you will learning some wrong stickmoves that will be hard to change later.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

First thing is make sure your setup is correct. If you have no deadband around center you will lose all of your neutral float “feel” making it harder to do clean flips. Especially if the heli has a lot of lift from cyclic already. If you can hover upside down this setup should be no problem.

I like to set both of my pitches where the heli hovers 6” or so at the first tic mark on my transmitter. Both directions. These will not be equal in the pitch curve. The heli has different curves because of the aerodynamic differences. This will give you enough “room” in the curve to keep the heli still. If you do this on all your helis it really helps with consistency.

I also try to do rainbows and pitch pumps to get the heli as close to the same max pitch as well.

Then just practice half flips and collective “popping”. Popping the collective then going to neutral really trains you to go back to neutral and how much collective is needed for an in place flip. Then once you can do those you will be much cleaner and faster when you do start to do continuous flips.
tacomaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am getting better. What really helped was going easy on the collective. Way too much negative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in