Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #1001 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Gang,

Just a testament to how the muscle memory and skills retained from getting about half way through Archmage's technique, today here on the East Coast of US we have been treated to some very mild weather 60's and almost no wind...
Perfect weather to try out my newly Flybarless T Rex500....Haven't flown or simmed for the past 2-3 months....After 2 quick batteries to shakedown the Ikon, I was back to my previous skills.....Loops, piros, inverted piros, figure 8's, stall turns, even an inverted pass over the field....It was like I never stopped flying....
Can't wait to continue winter training on the sim, and if there are any breaks in the weather, more flying with my newly trimmed out Trex500 beater!!

Cheers!
Franz in NJ
Assistant to the assistant manure spreader at Middle Creek Stables, LLC
VonRecktofen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #1002 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Question about 8 point piro drill

Great training program, thanks for taking the time to create it.

I'm (knock on wood) about to pass lesson 4 soon. I'm consistently doing 0-1 crashes in inverted piro hover, 100% speed, collective under my control. Last night, I started playing with 8 point hover and have a few questions about the drill.

- A single session will be either all upright or inverted. For a given session, I do 5 CCW and 5 CW, do I alternate or do 5 CW then 5 CCW?

- Roughly how long should this take for a session? If I stop about 5 seconds at each point, it should take about 7 min. Is that right? Or, should I be stretching this out the full 15 minutes?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #1003 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby_ View Post
Great training program, thanks for taking the time to create it.

I'm (knock on wood) about to pass lesson 4 soon. I'm consistently doing 0-1 crashes in inverted piro hover, 100% speed, collective under my control. Last night, I started playing with 8 point hover and have a few questions about the drill.

- A single session will be either all upright or inverted. For a given session, I do 5 CCW and 5 CW, do I alternate or do 5 CW then 5 CCW?

- Roughly how long should this take for a session? If I stop about 5 seconds at each point, it should take about 7 min. Is that right? Or, should I be stretching this out the full 15 minutes?
Once you pass lesson 4, you are just maintaining the skill, so not as much time required. No need to stretch to 15 mins.

With 8 points (2s hold at each of the 8 orientations), 4 rotations CW, 4 CCW, inverted 4 CW, inverted 4 CCW and would be plenty in a day. At field warm up, 1 each way would be a good warm up for flying.

You will get a feel for how "on" you are with orientation. You will notice how much drift you have at each point and notice where you are weaker and stronger.

After lesson 4, you should have the skill to start breaking down moves and work out how to fly between the segments. (Like what constitutes a piro-flip and what the segments of the move are and how to steer between each part of the move).

Hope this all makes sense.

Happy Flying.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #1004 (permalink)
Registered Users

Checking in, Kirby_ that sounds fun, I'm finding all subtlety is gone when inverted in the sim, it's literally like learning again isn't it!

I just had a surprise IRL skill happen! I've noticed general IRL orientation is loads better already and I'm just starting lesson 4.

IRL today i did two "the heli moves along a straight path while pirouetting at the same time" things, and when it happened it really surprised me that i was doing it without really thinking about it, and no panic either.

Great stuff and all because of a structured approach in the sim
Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 AM   #1005 (permalink)
Registered Users

Adamojamo, keep at lesson 4 I am at now in full control of the collective at 90% with about 8 crashes but this was my 3rd time tyryin it at 90%.

I don't want to say how long I have been in lesson four. Oh well about 4 months. I do alot fun flying in the sim also. I learned a CW circle and a uneven CCW circles. I rember where I thought I would never get the circles but I kept at it and I finally have a nice CW circle.

Now in IRL flying I have the Back flips down but of corse they need to be tightend up. But the best was the front flips which I just started them the other day prob only did about maybe 5 front flips IRL. But most of all I can now hover inverted for about 30 to 40 seconds I can prob do more but I don't want to push to hard in that as the just started like a week ago.

Its all pratice in IRL and SIM SIM SIM SIM SIM SIM SIM SIM and more SIM.

I make sure I can do a trick on the like 10 times in a row or I will not risk the heli. I used to not wait so long from doing it in the SIM into IRL which ended up in a crash. But also prob the amount of time.

Just keep at it. I started in like Feb 26 this year. I have have never flown a heli or plane, nor any other RC stuff.

Keep at it, Cannon69

Last edited by cannon69; 12-04-2015 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: correted.
cannon69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #1006 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update on Sim recommendations

Hi everyone. Long time HF viewer, but new member.

I'd like to become more proficient with flying and like a lot of you, I've decided to give the ArchmageAU's "From tail-in to all 8s and funnels..." a try. Experience-wise I'm a beginner that can almost hover in a 6ft box in all orientations IRL, but given the start of winter and time constraints related to getting outside, I'd like to start using a simulator to help progress. My goal at this point is to become a pretty good scale pilot, though 3D might be in the future.

I'm pretty new to RC heli simming, so I was wondering if someone could give me an update on the latest sim recommendations for beginners. I've spent quite a bit of time trawling the forums for answers, but most of the information that I've found seems to be a little out of date given the latest versions of software (circa Dec. 2015). I have a DX8 and a MS Surface Pro4 that I'm planning to use.

Given the DX8, and somewhat inconsistent issues with getting spectrum radios to work with RF, I see a lot of recommendations for Heli-X, Phoenix and perhaps Accurc. What is the best sim (or combination of sims) for moving through ArchmageAU's system? I know that people are running Phoenix and Accurc on the surface, but there have been numerous posts about update issues with Phoenix and Windows 10.

Your thoughts and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lazlo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #1007 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi and welcome! Well, the easiest and probably closest to your actual real flying is to get the PPM cable (the one that goes to the back of the controller, like a headphone mini-plug). I think you can find it on Amazon with "helicopter simulator cable" or something of the sort. They are cheap and work well in experience of a lot of pilots (I am using a cheap Amazon controller and I am trying to get to wireless simming so I don't have first-hand knowledge).

I don't know about Windows 10 compatibility but given your Surface platform, I think AccuRC is out for you. It is regarded as one of the best in regards of physics accuracy, and the one promoted by one very famous pilot Kyle Stacy. But it needs a beefy computer to run.

ArchmageAU's program was designed for HeliX and that is a good place to start. It has a very nice hover training mode that forces you to crash and restart if you fly out of the ring. You can speed up your pirouette, remove computer assistance, and reduce the size of the circle as you progress. Also if you get it once you start getting proficient try the Promenade mode that is awesome!

I started using neXt myself because it has better graphics and now that I have a bit more of heli knowledge (not a lot, still very newbie, mind you) I can alter the settings more to my liking easier than HeliX and I find it relates very well to my actual flying (i.e. crappy =)

Both HeliX and neXt are very configurable for low end computer and have a small hard drive footprint. So you can use something like your Surface tablet. Now, the small screen on your tablet may represent an issue though, I sim on my 15.6" laptop and I want wireless simming coupled with an HDMI cable to watch on the big screen. You will lose visibility of the heli fast. You may want to find a model that is big but aggressive enough that can act like a heli of yours (unless you fly 700 size). I find the KSE Goblin 700 on neXt to be able to be configured very aggressive much like a smaller heli since my goal is to try to get a machine as close as my real one as possible as I fly 450 size helis (and micros but my 450's are my "main" helis).

ArchmageAU I am sure will chime in he has lots of experience setting up different sims and controllers and can help you more, but I hope this info helps.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
Hi everyone. Long time HF viewer, but new member.

I'd like to become more proficient with flying and like a lot of you, I've decided to give the ArchmageAU's "From tail-in to all 8s and funnels..." a try. Experience-wise I'm a beginner that can almost hover in a 6ft box in all orientations IRL, but given the start of winter and time constraints related to getting outside, I'd like to start using a simulator to help progress. My goal at this point is to become a pretty good scale pilot, though 3D might be in the future.

I'm pretty new to RC heli simming, so I was wondering if someone could give me an update on the latest sim recommendations for beginners. I've spent quite a bit of time trawling the forums for answers, but most of the information that I've found seems to be a little out of date given the latest versions of software (circa Dec. 2015). I have a DX8 and a MS Surface Pro4 that I'm planning to use.

Given the DX8, and somewhat inconsistent issues with getting spectrum radios to work with RF, I see a lot of recommendations for Heli-X, Phoenix and perhaps Accurc. What is the best sim (or combination of sims) for moving through ArchmageAU's system? I know that people are running Phoenix and Accurc on the surface, but there have been numerous posts about update issues with Phoenix and Windows 10.

Your thoughts and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #1008 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the quick response Toadiscoil.

There are reports that people are running Accurc on the Surface Pro (with i5 or better), so I had hoped that would be an option given the good feedback it's getting. Then again, most, if not all, of that feedback is from experienced pilots rather than beginners.

Do you know if the Align FMS USB sim cable (HEP00002) would work with the DX8? I couldn't find out much about this cable, but the price appears to be good at amain/HeliProz
Old 12-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #1009 (permalink)
Registered Users

Again I have no first hand knowledge. My experience is that I was unlucky enough to try this cable on the ONLY transmitter that requires a mod. I had to replace my controller as a result so my DX6 will never see a cable although I have reports it works just fine. I am getting parts for wireless simulation.

Now having said that in theory the following should work. They are cheap enough you can get both and try them out. If they don't seem to work then disconnect them immediately to avoid controller damage. Again that is just me being paranoid after my experience. Have read lots of people that use the cable just fine and benefit from having their same controller for both the sim and the Heli.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DFD...XPPSTGJ7DQV3HQ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DR4...EXS9N8KM23V72B

Good luck!

Quote:

There are reports that people are running Accurc on the Surface Pro (with i5 or better), so I had hoped that would be an option given the good feedback it's getting. Then again, most, if not all, of that feedback is from experienced pilots rather than beginners.

Do you know if the Align FMS USB sim cable (HEP00002) would work with the DX8? I couldn't find out much about this cable, but the price appears to be good at amain/HeliProz
Old 12-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #1010 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also I think HeliX and neXt are cheaper than AccuRC. Yes I also hear good feedback about the physics on AccuRC. I am in IT so pretty computer savvy and I downloaded a trial of AccuRC. To me the interface was difficult and convoluted. The simple interface and many points of configuration, low footprint, easy on computer requirements, and at least to me sim to reality translation have made neXt my sim of choice. I loved the HeliX training modes but my controller does not seem to like HeliX as much as neXt so another reason to favor one over another. This is my experience and point of view though. Do some more research and download the trials to make your decision.

Finally to me it was also another budgeting choice. Do I keep using my current laptop to sim or invest in a high end computer/laptop? I quickly found out this hobby is expensive so I can't afford both. To me it was a simple decision with all factors taken into account.

Quote:

Last edited by toadiscoil; 12-08-2015 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Added more insight
Old 12-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #1011 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Sorry for te delay in posting this.

Quote:

OK Dec 2015 considered choices (Window 10 compatible):
- Heli-X v6
- RealFlight (7.5)
- Phoenix (5.x)
- NeXt v???
- AccuRC (1.6)

Not considered choices (popularity/support, feature set, feel, etc..):
- Reflex
- Clearview
- FMS

Do not worry about using wireless (RF) for simming (unless it's not practical to use a wired controller). Fun to play with but no real practical advantage. (costs more, need an RF receiver and a way to power it. It also drains your TX battery faster as the transmission module is powered for your entire simming session).

Of the considered choices, for All 8's training my suggested order is:

- Heli-X
  • Requires USB cable (round $10 HK "all in one" does well).
  • Works fine with DX8 as controller
  • Best training modes of any sim (what All 8's was built on)
  • Average selection of helis and multi-rotors
  • Average quality flying fields.
  • Very good physics.
  • Runs on any platform natively (java based - good for mac/linux as well)
  • Free lifetime updates
- RealFlight
  • Can provide it's own controller (interlink)
  • If you want to use the DX8, you can (cable provided), but it's a bit of a pain to set up (setup is Futaba centric).
  • Next best training modes (orientation trainer and much more)
  • Great selection of helis, planes and multi-rotors (Knife edge forum has 100's)
  • Great quality flying fields.
  • Very good physics.
- Phoenix
  • Provide it's own cable
  • Easy to set up any DX8 with it.
  • OK training modes (f3C square - do not bother with hover trainer)
  • Good selection of helis, planes and multi-rotors (semi-regular updates to list)
  • Good physics (until you are very advanced, you will not notice shortcomings).
  • Free lifetime updates
- neXt (have only tried the demo version)
  • Demo version has little if any training modes
  • Good selection of helis.
  • Free lifetime updates
- AccuRC
  • Provides it's own USB interface.
  • Easy to set up DX8 (wired or even wirelessly)
  • No explicit training modes
  • Limited selection of helis and planes. Best quality models though.
  • Best simulation physics available
  • Free lifetime updates
AccuRC is really for the advanced to very advanced pilot. When you fly 700's or are preparing for competition and have no real need ot Heli-X type training modes, AccuRC is a great choice.

All sims have strengths and weakness. It's choosing the one that's right for you.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #1012 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies. I ordered one of these cables

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Flig...+USB+Simulator

When it arrives I'll give Heli-x a try.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #1013 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started with Heli-X and this training method about 9 months ago.

Recently I got a PC, new monitor, AccuRC and wireless receiver and have not been using Heli-X. I hate to admit it, but AccuRC seems more realistic. It's feels like practicing IRL without the hassle of charging batteries or going outside. And, I can start and stop in 5 min, if I have something to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Sorry for te delay in posting this.

OK Dec 2015 considered choices (Window 10 compatible):
- Heli-X v6
- RealFlight (7.5)
- Phoenix (5.x)
- NeXt v???
- AccuRC (1.6)

Not considered choices (popularity/support, feature set, feel, etc..):
- Reflex
- Clearview
- FMS

Do not worry about using wireless (RF) for simming (unless it's not practical to use a wired controller). Fun to play with but no real practical advantage. (costs more, need an RF receiver and a way to power it. It also drains your TX battery faster as the transmission module is powered for your entire simming session).

Of the considered choices, for All 8's training my suggested order is:

- Heli-X
  • Best training modes of any sim (what All 8's was built on)
  • Average selection of helis and multi-rotors
  • Average quality flying fields.
  • Very good physics.
  • Runs on any platform natively (java based - good for mac/linux as well)
  • Free lifetime updates
- RealFlight
  • Can provide it's own controller (interlink)
  • If you want to use the DX8, you can (cable provided), but it's a bit of a pain to set up (setup is Futaba centric).
  • Next best training modes (orientation trainer and much more)
  • Great selection of helis, planes and multi-rotors (Knife edge forum has 100's)
  • Very good physics.
- Phoenix
  • Provide it's own cable
  • Easy to set up any DX8 with it.
  • OK training modes (f3C square - do not bother with hover trainer)
  • Good selection of helis, planes and multi-rotors (semi-regular updates to list)
  • Free lifetime updates
- neXt (have only tried the demo version)
  • Demo version has little if any training modes
  • Good selection of helis.
  • Free lifetime updates
- AccuRC
  • Provides it's own USB interface.
  • Easy to set up DX8 (wired or even wirelessly)
  • No explicit training modes
  • Limited selection of helis and planes. Best quality models though.
  • Best simulation physics available
  • Free lifetime updates
AccuRC is really for the advanced to very advanced pilot. When you fly 700's or are preparing for competition and have no real need ot Heli-X type training modes, AccuRC is a great choice.

All sims have strengths and weakness. It's choosing the one that's right for you.
heli227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #1014 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you mod a receiver or used an adapter? I am trying to get mine going with SimStick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli227 View Post
I started with Heli-X and this training method about 9 months ago.

Recently I got a PC, new monitor, AccuRC and wireless receiver and have not been using Heli-X. I hate to admit it, but AccuRC seems more realistic. It's feels like practicing IRL without the hassle of charging batteries or going outside. And, I can start and stop in 5 min, if I have something to do.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #1015 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

What's a SimStick?

I didn't want to do the mods so I got the following two items. Thanks (again!) to Archmage for helping me figure it out. This only works for AccuRC:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/SPM9645
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-helic...aac111/p378592

BTW, I got a ton of value from Heli-X and it works great with Archmage's Training Program. Definitely worth it. I think I paid about $60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Did you mod a receiver or used an adapter? I am trying to get mine going with SimStick.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #1016 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now that I am able to do circuits and 8's in all four orientations, I have been having an issue with giving the opposite input that is required. This happens often. Surprisingly, it never happens during forward upright flight.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to give the correct input for the current orientation?
Old 12-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #1017 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Now that I am able to do circuits and 8's in all four orientations, I have been having an issue with giving the opposite input that is required. This happens often. Surprisingly, it never happens during forward upright flight.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to give the correct input for the current orientation?
Just practice and "flying the disc".

Eventually it becomes completely intuitive like your forward upright flight is.

I find it takes a moment to switch orientation. The more "on" I am, the quicker the adjustment to the new orientation is.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #1018 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what I am trying:

http://www.simstick.co.uk/

I will use it with HeliX and neXt and report back. Hopefully success

Quote:
What's a SimStick?

I didn't want to do the mods so I got the following two items. Thanks (again!) to Archmage for helping me figure it out. This only works for AccuRC:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/SPM9645
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-helic...aac111/p378592

BTW, I got a ton of value from Heli-X and it works great with Archmage's Training Program. Definitely worth it. I think I paid about $60.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #1019 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've switched to RX2SIM it's more flexible http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...ducts_id=32366

Of course now fastlad is out of stock now

I like that I can hook multiple radio rx's in to it and switch between them with a press of the button. So I can run my VControl and Dx6 and could do a full size rx as well from another brand radio. Could even keep the phoenix dongle plugged in as well. I have it all in a box and just the usb from my little hub protruding.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #1020 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! That was actually my first choice. Talked to the Fast-Lad guys seems like they are having issues restocking from the vendor. I tried other sourcing but from the UK to then US shipping cost was outrageous. Graupner has it also but much more expensive. So I found this as an alternative. I was able to source it from the US although it is the previous version. Not too much issue it seems only improvement is native satellite support. I had to use a 6 channel receiver on mine. Only missing one cable so will report back how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post
I've switched to RX2SIM it's more flexible http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...ducts_id=32366

Of course now fastlad is out of stock now

I like that I can hook multiple radio rx's in to it and switch between them with a press of the button. So I can run my VControl and Dx6 and could do a full size rx as well from another brand radio. Could even keep the phoenix dongle plugged in as well. I have it all in a box and just the usb from my little hub protruding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in