Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #1421 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi All,

It was a good weather to go for offline flight

I flew this setup for first time thus there are no precisely defined maneuvers like eights, loops ...; mainly did pirouettes and a few of inverted flight. The only reason for this flight is to get familiar with the helicopter control and to tune rates on my radio.

Heli setup:
- HK600
- 2.2kW motor
- 120A ESC
- 22.2V 5000mA battery
- 1700 rpm head speed
- beastx stabilization
- FlySky 10ch 2.4GHz radio

P.S. 1/2 year since I started training on simulator. Special thanks to ArchmageAU for his training manual.

Test Flight 01022020 (5 min 55 sec)
wab223 and Roadkinghd like this.
L2-Max is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 04:34 AM   #1422 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Comment on sim and real life flight

Hello,

I've been on sim quite often and now with the spring also outdoors. And I have realized two things:

1) If I wanted to improve the precision in flying, I started to do my exercises close to the ground - without hitting the ground. That pushes me to concentrate on having the exercise precise. If I fly higher, then I don't have to pay so much attention to the shape and height of my figures.

2) Some bad habits can come from the sim. Sim can handle as many crashes as you want. I have tendency not caring so much to the crashes - and I brought a bit of this 'carelessness' to real life. There it does not work: every crash costs money and time.
Now I try to crash the least possible even in the sim. And I fly more outdoors.

Just a comment on what to train: forward flight normal + inverted covers roughly half of the situations your heli can get into. Flying backwards (normal + inverted) covers another ~half. Once these four directions are mastered, you're more likely to recover from most conditions that can happen during the flight. So now I concentrate also on backward flying. Once you succeed flying backwards (normal + inverted) eights, it is the same feeling as if you first hover inverted or if you fly eight inverted. And so on.

Good luck and nice weather for the flight!
ohawa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #1423 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good point. Many people (myself included) just crash and crash on the sim. It is recommended to treat crashes on the sim like real life. Some people go as far as tallying the costs if the crash had been real. At the very least, give a pause after a crash and do as much as possible to save it, and work to develop a Throttle Hold reflex if the crash is imminent.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #1424 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's what precision hovering looks like from one of the USA's top F3C pilots. This is a demo at a fun fly and he's not using one of his F3C competition helis.

Nick Maxwell F3C Precision demonstration (7 min 25 sec)
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #1425 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohawa View Post
1) If I wanted to improve the precision in flying, I started to do my exercises close to the ground - without hitting the ground. That pushes me to concentrate on having the exercise precise. If I fly higher, then I don't have to pay so much attention to the shape and height of my figures.
I agree. Most people that fly high don't notice how bad their flips/rolls etc, look as you really can't see how much the elevation is changing. I always try to fly as close in and low as possible in the sim. If you use the sim as your first place to learn something and you are doing it far off and high in the sim, you will never get it closer and lower in real life.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #1426 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks for this really nice learning course!!
I'm at stage 1 😄 and I can avoid totally crash/reset with slowed down time to 90% but keeping it not moving at all is still a dream actually 🤣
Still overcorrecting many times so jumping a bit everywhere until i can retrieve stable position.
Quentin46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #1427 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just found time slowing is resetting at each sim launch on Heli-x V9c, so was training at real time since 3 or 4 days, a good news i'm not as bad as i thought 🤣
Quentin46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 03:31 AM   #1428 (permalink)
Registered Users

After getting pretty solid with light 3D flying during a 6 month period from nothing, I got comfortable flying inverted-forward circuits (figure 8s). I could to flips and rolls on my Trex500 Pro and mCPX BL. This was 7 years ago, with a bit of pickup using a Trex 150x just to mess around. Coming back into the hobby more seriously, I'm going back to "finish" learning to cover the gaps I didn't learn and there's one thing I found to be very helpful:

Instead of flying and practicing how to do a funnel, just fly "side forward". This might be a part of 'flying the disc' but rather than visually tracking the nose-tail configuration of the heli throughout a funnel and thinking of it like balancing your left and right roll angle, think of left and right as your pitch. Keep your tail perpendicular to the forward motion of the heli too. If I just fly side-in and learn how to manage keeping the heli oriented like that. The funnels become normal circles during side-forward flying and I'm more able to flow into and out of it smoothly. This also means you don't even explicitly practice different funny orientations. Once you can fly side forward for a single side, you will be able to manage two funnels orientations (nose down or up) because the difference is now only left or right turns. This introduces 4 new fight modes -- right side forward upright, left side forward upright, right side forward inverted, and finally left side forward inverted. After I master those (on top of all forwards/backwards/inverted/uprights) there shouldn't be any situation where the heli's movements + orientation that can't be looked at as one of those flight modes and I use it to bail out smoothly.
ebonyseraphim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in