Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #1441 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotta say - this is a great tutorial. Slow piros are invaluable. God knows why I never thought of it before.

Normally, I can fly FF, flips, loops, rolls, a little inverted (nose in only), and nose in. Been like that for years.

Left and right orientations sketch and nervous, and I'd become "handed" - right piros only.

Done 10 sessions so far (CW and CCW piros) and it has already transformed my flying in real life. I can piro slowly with ease, and I now have stopped flying back to myself tail in. Veyr happy in all orientations upright and it makes the world of difference.

Will keep at it. Done clean runs in slow piros now so onto inverted piros.
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #1442 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, halfway through reading this thread. Still torn on which sim to select, got the demos of all three (Heli-x, neXt, and AccuRC) all downloaded. I'd say I'm leaning toward Heli-x; however, probably because it has been easiest to get full time on demo. AccuRC and especially neXt quit so quickly, hard to get a good feel for them.

Seems neXt and AccuRC you can achieve the same result simply using the radio trim (for rudder).
jholen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #1443 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am very intrigued by this because the orientation training makes perfect sense...practice the hover whilst rotating. The standard four hover orientations do not necessarily teach the same memory muscle skill as hover while the heli is rotating 2 times a minute or 30 times a minute.

A lot of learning to do this is strictly muscle memory like video games. While we don't have a digital playset to rely on at the flying field....these lessons on the sim produce results. My work life is so crazy it is hard to make a "commitment". But this thread has changed the way I practice on the sim 100%. Seems like common sense.
Tommyjoking is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2020, 01:22 AM   #1444 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool this thread is still active, no surprise really since I find the lessons super!

I've been following this training guide for a year now. I'm a bit OCD and has followed the lessons in their numbered order instead of doing two threads. Since February I've been chipping away at Lesson 5b: compass circles, got it down the other day so now I'm finally moved on to Lesson 6: Upright forward circles.

I'll come back to 5c when I'm done with Lesson 12. Enough is enough.

In the real world I'm already flying forward circles/eights, loops, rolls, hammerheads etc.. Basic airplane stuff. But it's quite sloppy and with a fair bit of speed, so it's still a challenge to get perfect slow circles close to the ground.

Is there any point in reading the 1 400+ posts in this thread? Guessing the signal to noise-ratio is extremely low after all these years.
Tobbe Arnesson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #1445 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indeed this thread is a great resource and definitely post here for any experiences moving through it.

I started with it but I still was messing up my orientations. What worked for me was to practice my static 4 point hovers, then go back to the piro hover, and back and forth, depending on what I saw my weakness was and work on that one harder.

What I also "tweaked" was to alter my orientation circuit or figure 8 practice on the same flight. I noticed my brain got "stuck" on an orientation if I only practiced that and then I couldn't do a different orientation so I worked on mixing them up to force my brain to think about having to get used to the change.

But great resource and kudos to ArchmageAU
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #1446 (permalink)
Registered Users

Took me seven sessions to complete lesson 6 Forward circles. But I've been doing 'em a lot IRL so I just had to hone the execution.

Started reverse circles today and I'm back to laughing hysterically to the impossibleness. After fifteen minutes of solid fails I managed three laps. Very far from perfect circles but laps non the less. Feels like it will be possible to achieve this skill, too.

Did 5b compass circles again afterwards, 'cause I felt like I had lost the touch flying inverted IRL yesterday.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #1447 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation

FYI: I recommend removing or updating this link at the bottom of the post.

"Addendum:

For those wanting to track progress and fine more things to progress with, I can recommend: http://rcheli.club/moves/"

It is no longer what it should be and wouldn't want anyone seeing what I just saw unless something is wrong with my computer...
RedDeffern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2021, 03:59 AM   #1448 (permalink)
Registered Users

Backwards circles took 19 fifteen minute sessions.

Inverted backwards was a whole different beast, but after chipping away for 45 sessions I finally got it done today! With a good margin too. It's not a very consistent circle yet, but circles none the less!

Off to inverted forward circles...
Old 02-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #1449 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep the updates coming. Always great to see how this thread keeps helping people. Different methodologies work for different people but this one keeps being very popular and helpful.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #1450 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is my progress in the sim (1y 3m)

Sim: Half piro-flips (2 min 3 sec)

And reality

Reality: Half piro-flips (4 min 49 sec)
SHYguy and jasond1979 like this.
L2-Max is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #1451 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I like the real life half piro flips better. They look very smooth! Congratulations.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:13 AM   #1452 (permalink)
Registered Users

31 sessions to achieve lesson 9, forward inverted circles. Now I'm better at those than any of the other orientations, including normal. In fact the first few tries on Lesson 10 were frustrating to fly normal.

Luckily it's only in the sim, IRL I seem to still remember normal flight.
wab223 and SHYguy like this.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #1453 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back to hobby after about 6+ years of pause. Very effective traning case! I have restored my previous fying skills for about 25 sessions and currently make new progression. Thanks to author! Very recommended fly 20 min session, pause about an 1 hour and second 20 min session.
Jocker is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2021, 05:31 AM   #1454 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
There is ONE dumb question.
It’s very clearly not... “is the first rule of helicopter club that we’re not allowed to talk about helicopter club???”

... because we talk about helicopter club all the time 😄
walkbythesea is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2021, 01:17 AM   #1455 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying sim every day for 20 mins, insist is the key. Learned all the basic skill from reading this post, thank you again.
nc60865 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2021, 04:09 AM   #1456 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks ArchmageAU

This is a great training program. I'm getting back into the hobby after a 10+ year break. Previously I could do loops, rolls, flips, nose in inverted, but starting again I could not do the slow upright piro. Now I have logged 7 hours on the simulator following your exercises. I'm on the dreaded lesson 4 and just starting to get it, have built up to 100% speed and currently getting about 2 crashes per 20 minute session.
kentflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #1457 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great tutorial. I am at the "Hover nose in" stage on the SIM. I did tail in for a week and can now stay that way without thinking about it.
I'm using RF 9.5 with the medium sized circle.
I understand why the OP recommends listening to music, to avoid boredom.
Cornfield is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in