CC ESC rpm out and TM1000 telemetry - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CC ESC rpm out and TM1000 telemetry

So I asked this and never got an answer so I thought I would throw it out there if others would like to know. If you program the CC edge 120 for RPM out you can hook the white wire from the Castle creation ESC to the TM1000 directly. You just need an adapter to go from the TM1000 connection to a standard servo connector. Its a couple dollars at the hobby store.

Then inside the telemetry menu on the remote select the rpm setting. Here you will need to select the number of poles your engine has and then for ratio you want to select your gear ratio. Which is just the main gear teeth count/ engine gear tooth count. Mine happened to be 9.33

Once that is done the head speed will now show up on the remote as rpms.
xokia is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You never got an answer because it just came out and most do not have it yet to know anything about it.
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj74 View Post
You never got an answer because it just came out and most do not have it yet to know anything about it.
Yea that's fine, that is why I shared the information. I figured no one knew or no one tried it yet.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd like to add telemetry but too lazy to figure it out. I wouldn't upgrade my esc anyways since i bought a ice2 160 a while ago. DX8 is still new to me but again I'm too lazy to figure it out plus i work a lot.
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj74 View Post
I'd like to add telemetry but too lazy to figure it out. I wouldn't upgrade my esc anyways since i bought a ice2 160 a while ago. DX8 is still new to me but again I'm too lazy to figure it out plus i work a lot.
Does the ice2 160 have the white wire from the ESC? I think normally people use this to run an external governor. But you can select in the CC menu what you want it to do. RPM out is an option. Then setting up the telemetry itself is a piece of cake. Setting up the poles and gear ratio is as hard as it gets.

I like it because it give you you main pack voltage and RX voltage right on the screen when you are flying. You can set low voltage alarms to tell you when the battery is getting low. I monitor the engine temperature and the HEAD speed also.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From my understanding only the new Edge line come with the build in phase sensor output wire. I would think you could just plug the wire into a Y harness and have it output to your telemetry and Governor.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerbmx View Post
From my understanding only the new Edge line come with the build in phase sensor output wire. I would think you could just plug the wire into a Y harness and have it output to your telemetry and Governor.
Yea I looked on castles website and this white wire seems to be a new feature. Cool I guess if you have one of these. You dont have to buy a sperate rpm sensor. I dont know anything about the other ESCs.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I seem to be getting a much higher RPM on my transmitter than intended. I don't know what RPM the CC EDGE 160 is sending to my TM1000. But when the DX8's settings are set for gear ratios and pole count, the data logs represent a RPM in the 10,000 range or something like that. Far too high. Not sure what is up here. I check the CC's data logs and get something around 2000 rpm. So the ESC is reading the rpm correctly, i guess it's either getting screwed up in the math the DX8 is doing. Otherwise it must be transmitting the RPM to the TM1000 after doing a ratio calculation on the ESC side or something like that. I can't seem to figure it out. I'm about ready to get another $3 hobbywing rpm sensor and be done with it.
Integrity Handywork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

phase sensors are different. On Skookum Governors we have take the Gear Ratio X Motor Poles / 2.

Example: Gear Ratio 9.33 Motor Poles 10

9.33x10= 93.3 -- 93.3 / 2 = 46.65

46.65 is the number you plug into the Phase Sensor.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to enter the number of poles and gear ratio to get the right value to appear in the remote. The problem is with the remote setup. Get that right and it will work.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the Gaui X7 the gear ratio should be 10:1 and the motor has 10 poles. That is what i have in the TX setup. But the logging data is all over the place and not even close to correct.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM_Volts_Temperature_chart.jpg
Views:	1521
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	444548  
Integrity Handywork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is how it works. Every time a magnet passes by the coil a pulse is created that gets sensed as your rpms. If you have 10 poles (10 magnets) you will get 10 pulses for every revolution. So the raw value that gets sent to the remote will be a high number 10 pulses = 1 revolution. So that raw value will be something like 100k the remote takes that number and divides it by the poles 100k/10 =10k this is the motor RPM. Now to get the head speed you need to know the pinion and main gear ratio (main gear tooth count/ pinion tooth count) gives you the drive ratio. If you enter this ratio into the remote it takes the 10k and then divides it by that ratio to get your head speed.

If you are in the 10k range you either dont have the pole count set in the remote or you dont have the gear ratio set right in the remote.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xokia View Post
This is how it works. Every time a magnet passes by the coil a pulse is created that gets sensed as your rpms. If you have 10 poles (10 magnets) you will get 10 pulses for every revolution. So the raw value that gets sent to the remote will be a high number 10 pulses = 1 revolution. So that raw value will be something like 100k the remote takes that number and divides it by the poles 100k/10 =10k this is the motor RPM. Now to get the head speed you need to know the pinion and main gear ratio (main gear tooth count/ pinion tooth count) gives you the drive ratio. If you enter this ratio into the remote it takes the 10k and then divides it by that ratio to get your head speed.

If you are in the 10k range you either dont have the pole count set in the remote or you dont have the gear ratio set right in the remote.
Well i am flying a Gaui X7 which uses a 100T main gear and comes stock with a 10T pinion on the motor. Attached is a photo of the settings in my DX8.

I have no idea why I'm getting the crazy erratic reading i am out of my telemetry log i posted previously. The CC log shows the correct head speed when i look it up that way. My telemetry log for my X5's RPM looks nothing like the one i posted above. But i'm using the hobbywing rpm sensor on my X5. The X7 log above is crazy and all over the place. The X5 log, attached, is more steady. I can't even consider the graph readable from the X7's log generated from the CC auxiliary RPM output. Don't know why it's like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6293.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	445257   Click image for larger version

Name:	X5-RPM_Volts_Temperature_chart.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	445258  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The log you have is from the TX or from the ESC?

If this is from the TX then something is screwy. I'd say create a new model and try again from a fresh install. Don't copy settings over do a fresh install. Are you sure you got the pole count right? What motor are you using?

I'm not sure if you have to also enter this info in the ESC to get the rpm correct. Its something to look into if you havent configured this pole gear ratio stuff in the ESC.

You could test it put poles to 1 and ratio 1:1 then do the math yourself to see if its correct. Check the RAW data and see if that is at least correct first. All the pole count and gear ratio does is tell the remote how to divide the RAW data.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xokia View Post
The log you have is from the TX or from the ESC?

If this is from the TX then something is screwy. I'd say create a new model and try again from a fresh install. Don't copy settings over do a fresh install. Are you sure you got the pole count right? What motor are you using?

I'm not sure if you have to also enter this info in the ESC to get the rpm correct. Its something to look into if you havent configured this pole gear ratio stuff in the ESC.
Those logs are from the TX. The ESC log shows a very accurate rpm as far as i can tell.

I kind of wonder if the settings programmed into the ESC are altering the output data for the RPM. Because for the ESC's log data to show accurate mechanical head speed, you naturally have to input the gear ratio and pole count.

The motor is the Gaui GM-350S that comes with the X7 kit.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try the 1:1 test like I mentioned see what valu you get when spooled up.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking at your RPM graph from the RX log you can see that there is an underlying line around 2000RPM the rest of the graph upto 10,000RPM+ are all errant spikes, so you are have an issue with a bad sensor connection missing pulses or picking up interference on your RPM sensor line, my guess is interference due to the way data is logged in the RX.

Have a look here https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...00#post5025300 at my free alternative TLM Log viewer, it should filter out a lot of those errant spikes.
I would still look at resolving the interference issue rather than relying on filtering to remove them.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinww View Post
Looking at your RPM graph from the RX log you can see that there is an underlying line around 2000RPM the rest of the graph upto 10,000RPM+ are all errant spikes, so you are have an issue with a bad sensor connection missing pulses or picking up interference on your RPM sensor line, my guess is interference due to the way data is logged in the RX.

Have a look here https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...00#post5025300 at my free alternative TLM Log viewer, it should filter out a lot of those errant spikes.
I would still look at resolving the interference issue rather than relying on filtering to remove them.
Makes sens that it would be EMI or something. My voltage sensor reads random spikes down to zero too. But when i check the Castle data logs the voltage stays nominal. I don't know if a ferrite ring would help. I suppose i'll have to consider rewiring some stuff. I don't really know what could be causing this. I do have the temperature sensor, voltage sensor, RPM sensor and throttle cable all running parallel along the same path as one another for the length of the heli. I didn't think it would be a problem, but apparently something isn't playing well with the rest.

I'll give the app a look. But like you said. It would be better if i can figure out where the problem is coming from instead of treating the symptoms.

Last edited by Integrity Handywork; 08-31-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a TM1000 and a RPM wire coming out the ESC....

Is it possible to hook these up together?

Problem is that the rpm wire ends in this:

And the tm1000 input is this:

So where can I get a wire that converts from the small white one to the big black one to go into?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge on names. I only know them not as 3 pin JST connectors.
DeadlySilent is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2017, 02:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the white ones are 1.5mm JST ZH, 3 pin, I think sometimes called micro-jst.

So maybe something like this?

Micro-JST Male to Regular Servo Female converter [converter-MJST-M-reg-F] - $6.59 : RC-Connectors.com

or these too(different lengths):

https://www.mshusa.com/collections/b...nor-cable-90mm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.