Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lipo fire in my basement

So what do you actually do when it's on fire? Unplug from cables, unplug with the cables from the charger?

Anyone have any containers near by to set them in if they catch on fire while u take them out?

I punctured a bad 6s 5000mah battery recently and the flames on that thing were crazy.
rz1a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippledigitss View Post
Hey SHY did you get that gecko tape? Hope it arrived OK and worked out good for you.
Sure did, thanks a bunch mate! Sorry I forgot to tell!
DX8, Phoenix
SHYguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYguy View Post
Sure did, thanks a bunch mate! Sorry I forgot to tell!
Cool Cool, thats great. I should have opened a FS thread so we could each get some feedback ratings but oh well.

OK sorry -

Back to lipo fires!
trippledigitss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone considered or used the fire proof file & document boxes/safes sold at department stores?
Seem to be able to handle 1550 deg for around 30min from what I understand.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

I kind of like the idea of charging inside a grill at home so far the best but that's no good for traveling. Most of us have grills already so no added expense there.
I just hate to drag my charger, power supply and a cord out every time I want to charge. I like having all my stuff right there in the house where I work on my helis in my bed room.

I've poured a block of cement to fit perfectly in my metal tool box with 6 - 2 inch round chambers 6 inches deep that will easily house up to 6S lipos. They'll point strait up towards the tool box lid. I'd like to have some baffles above them to dissipate any flames and somehow keep flames from getting to the other lipos.
Maybe some cones or something above each chamber would keep flames from getting to non burning lipos. I want this thing to be useable indoors and be where I can take it with me.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

[/QUOTE]
Nice job , but for some reason when I look at the picture it makes me think of when I shoot fireworks out of mortar tubes LOL. Anyways threads like this remind us all of how lax we are with lipos and that we should take more precaution when charging .
Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My attempt at Lipo safety.

All this talk of fire and smoke really made me sit up and take notice of how lax I have been concerning the storage and charging of my own lipo's.
So I hope I took a step in the right direction by removing them from my house to the garage and built what I hope would be a good fire box to handle such things if it should occur. I hope it never happens but if it does I hope my fire box protects the rest of the house.
It's made from cinder block and concrete backer board from Lowes. Ended up being pretty cheap. It's three blocks deep so the cubby holes for the batteries are deep enough for my Goblin 12 cell sticks to bury themselves into.
Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Viking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3101.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	426265  
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
All this talk of fire and smoke really made me sit up and take notice of how lax I have been concerning the storage and charging of my own lipo's.
That looks great Viking -- nice work!

I still need to get some type of cinder block or ceramic tile to set my lipo bag on. I was at the home depot this afternoon, but they didn't have the concrete bricks in the garden section and I couldn't make up my mind about what to get.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Dont' be too sure on this. Temp probes only measure what they touch. we are charging multi-cell batteries, AND many chagre in parallel. So if you put the probe on one side of the battery, the center cell and other cells can overheat and rupture before the probe senses it. the purpose of the probe is to see if you are charging the battery too fast, and it assumes that all cells well behave the same (all willl get warm).
Thanks Dan, I didn't even think about that. That is a very good point and something that could lead someone into a false sense of security.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr008 View Post
Nice job , but for some reason when I look at the picture it makes me think of when I shoot fireworks out of mortar tubes LOL. Anyways threads like this remind us all of how lax we are with lipos and that we should take more precaution when charging .[/QUOTE]

It reminds me of a fireworks base as well. I plan to experiment with different baffles to arrest any flames and keep flames from getting to other lipos with the lid closed on my tool box. Not sure how I'm gonna simulate the fire yet.

I was taking some precautions but I'm afraid it wasn't enough for the area I was charging in. I was parallel charging 5- 2200 mah 11.1v lipos on a concrete fireplace front with all my lipos stuck under a thick heavy casserole bowl. The problem is there was a gap at the bottom because the bowl laid on the wires and held it up a little plus there was no lipo isolation.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK, so i've got an order in for a PL6 and gotta get some new batteries. But should i trust the PS i was using (P350 from progressive)? it looks undamaged and pretty much the same as it did before the fire and i don't think it was involved but who knows?
leaverus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaverus View Post
OK, so i've got an order in for a PL6 and gotta get some new batteries. But should i trust the PS i was using (P350 from progressive)? it looks undamaged and pretty much the same as it did before the fire and i don't think it was involved but who knows?
You can probably trust it, but it is very under powered for a PL6. Charging a 6s battery at 10 amps is 220 watts. The PL6 will display the input voltage (output of the supply), so you should see t if it still puts out 12V. a PL6 can handl up to 1000W of charging.

Dan
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You want a power supply such as this one (or safest perhaps field charge using two deep cycles)

47A 24V for $110

http://feathermerchantrc.com/
Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
You can probably trust it, but it is very under powered for a PL6. Charging a 6s battery at 10 amps is 220 watts. The PL6 will display the input voltage (output of the supply), so you should see t if it still puts out 12V. a PL6 can handl up to 1000W of charging.

Dan
yeah, but the most i'll be charging is 2 6s in parallel and never faster than 1C, and i'm not sure i even want to do any parallel charging in the future, so the P350 should be sufficient for my needs then, assuming it's still good? And i will never be going bigger than my 6HV for sure because that heli already scares me and i simply don't have flying space for anything larger anyway. assuming the money is not an issue, is it SAFER for me to get 2 chargers and charge a pair of 6S separately vs parallel charging on one charger? If so, i dont mind buying a 2nd PL6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
You want a power supply such as this one (or safest perhaps field charge using two deep cycles)

47A 24V for $110

http://feathermerchantrc.com/
Thanks for the link, Slyster. Those seem pretty good for the price - if the P350 is junk, i'll get one from there.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
yeah, but the most i'll be charging is 2 6s in parallel and never faster than 1C, and i'm not sure i even want to do any parallel charging in the future, so the P350 should be sufficient for my needs then, assuming it's still good? And i will never be going bigger than my 6HV for sure because that heli already scares me and i simply don't have flying space for anything larger anyway. assuming the money is not an issue, is it SAFER for me to get 2 chargers and charge a pair of 6S separately vs parallel charging on one charger? If so, i dont mind buying a 2nd PL6.

Thanks for the link, Slyster. Those seem pretty good for the price - if the P350 is junk, i'll get one from there.

If you are using the Junsi P350, two of them could be wired in series to produce 700 Watts. this is what I am using to power my iCharger 306B.

This thread has got me thinking twice about parallel charging though. I am wondering if it is better to use multiple smaller chargers either powered by a big PSU or having PSUs of their own to charge multiple Lipos. Having separate smaller chargers running in parallel means if a lipo starts to combust it is easy to just grab the container holding that lipo, disconnect the charge and balance cable from the charger, and throw the whole thing outside so smoke does not contaminate the inside of the house or garage.

In a way I already do this as I have two 80Watt Traxxas, a 206B and a 306B. I usually check volages of the lipos and parallel charge together those which are close in voltages to the appropriate charger. I am on the paranoid side when it comes to lipos. I charge them in a bunker but I find myself worried about the smoke that can be emitted worse comes to worse. Being able to disconnect easily and throw away the offending lipo outside is what I am now thinking is a solution.
Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 5.5 | Atom 500 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2
cyclo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lipo fire in my basement

Quote:

i got one of thoes!

he has new 69amp temperature controled fans

email him for info
racerjeffrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, charging 2 packs on separate chargers is safer because the charger can't know the true state of each cell when parallel charging.

If field charging, parallel is great. If it's in your home, I'd charge separately.

If money is not an issue, I'd definitely get a 2nd PL6.

Quote:

Old 06-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd suggest (if you don't already have the PL6) the iCharger 4010 Duo. I really am liking mine.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I'd suggest (if you don't already have the PL6) the iCharger 4010 Duo. I really am liking mine.
That's nice...but massive overkill if all you'll do is charge a single 6S per port. Even if charging each one at 4C!
jrwalte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

wait, I already have one of those. you stick a cartridge in the slot on top and it lets you play video games, right? but seriously, jrwalte's right - it's way overkill for my present and future needs. i'll just get a 2nd PL6 and be done with it. appreciate the suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in