Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lipo fire in my basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaverus View Post
wait, I already have one of those. you stick a cartridge in the slot on top and it lets you play video games, right? but seriously, jrwalte's right - it's way overkill for my present and future needs. i'll just get a 2nd PL6 and be done with it. appreciate the suggestions.
i agree!
racerjeffrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wasn't an icharger involved with this fire? Are we sure that the fire was completely unrelated to the icharger? I wonder if any pattern could be established between either the brands of lipos and/or models of chargers involved in fires. CellPro for instance makes a big deal of being a "safe" charger. They are what I mostly use and I like them, but I couldn't prove that they are necessarily any safer than others. I'm sure you could program any charger wrong to start a fire, but assuming you programmed correctly, I wonder if there are some that could malfunction or that have default settings that stress battery packs more than others.
Shabill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaverus View Post
wait, I already have one of those. you stick a cartridge in the slot on top and it lets you play video games, right? but seriously, jrwalte's right - it's way overkill for my present and future needs. i'll just get a 2nd PL6 and be done with it. appreciate the suggestions.
Buy the FMA MPA(around $65-$75 I think) parallel charging board. Its the safest way to prallel charge. Fully fused, both balance tap and line voltage wires.

A PL6/8 and an MPA board is a pretty safe way to charge batteries.
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

All for the MPA Board ... have one myself ... but would its fuses prevent you from overcharging a cell of a healthy battery if one of the other batteries that you are parallel charging has a bad cell? Still safer to charge individual batteries individually, right?
Shabill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Lipo fire in my basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabill View Post
All for the MPA Board ... have one myself ... but would its fuses prevent you from overcharging a cell of a healthy battery if one of the other batteries that you are parallel charging has a bad cell? Still safer to charge individual batteries individually, right?
No. it won't. It will prevent the bad battery from discharging into the other batteries if it shorts.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I may make a suggestion for a new charger...

Hyperion EOS0720i.

It's programmable and features loads of safety features. A capacity cutoff, a charge time cutoff, and a temperature cutoff.

I have mine set up for 50 minute cutoff, to end at capacity set in the charger, and (if I used a thermistor), temperature cutoff set at 40 deg to help prevent thermal runaway.

Oh and.. you can update its firmware via USB.
Uncle Nutsy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Uncle Nutsy...

I love that name!
trippledigitss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Something to consider on para-boards

I have two of the Buddy-RC paraboards, and I loved them when I was using them.
But when I built a divided fireproof box for charging, it became difficult to connect the batteries to the para-board.

You could buy extenstions for each charging port, or go with the para- cables.
You will likly need and extension cable to reach your batteries if they are standing on end.

Just a warning if you end up with a charging set-up like mine. But the boards are nice boards,

Dan
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
But when I built a divided fireproof box for charging, it became difficult to connect the batteries to the para-board.

You will likly need and extension cable to reach your batteries if they are standing on end.

Just a warning if you end up with a charging set-up like mine. But the boards are nice boards,

Dan
pics pease lol
Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjeffrc View Post
pics pease lol
You can see from the picture, that the paraboard would be hanging on the side of the metal box if you did not have some cable extensions. I have extensions for both the charge and balance cables.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charger 001.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	426587   Click image for larger version

Name:	charger 002.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	426588  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
If I may make a suggestion for a new charger...

Hyperion EOS0720i.

It's programmable and features loads of safety features. A capacity cutoff, a charge time cutoff, and a temperature cutoff.

I have mine set up for 50 minute cutoff, to end at capacity set in the charger, and (if I used a thermistor), temperature cutoff set at 40 deg to help prevent thermal runaway.

Oh and.. you can update its firmware via USB.
+1

have the 1420i for charging the 5800 RX lipos and the starter lipo.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You can see from the picture, that the paraboard would be hanging on the side of the metal box if you did not have some cable extensions. I have extensions for both the charge and balance cables.

Dan
very nice
Old 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Dan
Quote:

Dan
I like your idea with the fiber board and ammo can so much I’m going to steal, I mean borrow it. So thanks for posting. My ammo cans arrived today. I’ve been thinking about how to do everything and one thing you might consider:

If you have a battery starting to spark or smoke you’ll probably want to grab the whole box, batteries and all, and make for the door. Of course to do so you’ll need to disconnect the batteries. You won’t likely do this on the battery side (each individually) you’ll probably want to do this either at the charger or the cable extension going into the squid. This leaves a problem; you now have bare connectors not only next to each other, but near a metal box as you’re trying to dash out the door. This could be problematic.

I think I’m going to cut the bullets off my squids and replace with an EC5 connector. I have a single charge lead with a male EC5 on it already, this should work as an extension and help eliminate ruining all batteries due to a short, while trying to save them from a fire.

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Dan
I was wondering if you charged with a lid on this setup. I want to build one of these as well when I can order the amo can and the other necessary items.

I used stuff I already had and can now charge inside a tool box with 6 separate chambers with the lid closed. The charger stays safely outside the box. I feel much better about this setup. I keep it on an unused fireplace hearth to charge inside the house. Now I'm wondering if I should at least add a fuse or circuit breaker in the main leads to save my charger if something should go wrong?

I can travel with this setup in fact I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a motel.

My 2nd place to charge is my unused gas grill. I took that for a trial run this evening. I think I could feel good about using that in the garage and definitely outside, I just don't want my charger exposed to the weather you know. I don't won't the cats jumping up on the grill and knocking my charger and power supply off. Gotta figure a way to cat proof that. LOL!

There are those rare days when you try to get flights in between showers and charging outside with it raining wouldn't work to well.

I'm glad leaverus brought this thread up, I feel much better about my charging stations now.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
I like your idea with the fiber board and ammo can so much Iím going to steal, I mean borrow it. So thanks for posting. My ammo cans arrived today. Iíve been thinking about how to do everything and one thing you might consider:

This leaves a problem; you now have bare connectors not only next to each other, but near a metal box as youíre trying to dash out the door. This could be problematic.
To be honest, I am a little fuzzy on exactly how I disconnected my battery when I had my fire. I remember hearing the smoke alarm, looking into the garage, and seeing what looked like a little camp fire on top of my bench. I rember going over to it, andi it was just burning slowly like some wood scraps. So I went to a shelf, grabbed a plastic bucked, and "I Think I lifted the burning battery by it's wires, and put it into the bucket, ant took it to the front of the garage and truned on the faucet. I don't remember when I unplugged stuff, but I know that I did.

I guess my point is that the fire was slow buring, so there was a little time. I think a EC5 connector on the charge lines is a good idea, but you still have good batteries connected in parallel.. The balance cable is easy to unplug.

You should run through this scenerio in your head so you will already have a plan.
I might just pull the good batteries out of the box, and then put the lid back on.
With the lid on, the battery connector is still accessabel, and could be unplugged.
And the fire is under control.
I am leaning on the side of getting the good batteries away from the burning battery ASAP.

My main advice is to run it through your head as to what you would likely do, so when the time comes, you already have a plan.

Dan
Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Thank you!!!

To the OP:

I really hope you and your family are back on your feet again! So sorry for your loss!

And THANK YOU! Your post inspired me to be safer... had I not read it I'm afraid my house would have been on fire this weekend...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...89#post5215889

BALANCE charge guys, ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!
DX8, Phoenix
SHYguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in