Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Blade MCX Tandem

What size is the MCX Tandem, is it more MCPX, or Nano sized? I've seen just the fuselage available on ebay, and wondering if I can connect to MCPX's or Nano's together, make one head spin the other direction and make it fly.

Also, does the Shinook have two, or four blades? If four, I'm wondering if two heads from the Helimax EC145 would work.

What you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Come on Varc, do a little research, I'll start you off. . .

First of all you would need to reprogram the AS3X for any nano, mcpx project, or you would need a different controller all together, one not devised yet.

The Chinook (notice correct spelling here) has 3 rotors on each the front and rear heads. The special thing about tandems is that even though they are driven by twin jet engines, all the power goes through one driveshaft and splits off between the front and rear rotor heads, SO the rotors don't collide, they are also on different levels/planes, the rear is higher/taller.

You should try it with a 130X? The nano would be the closest size to the tandem body if thats what you intend to use. Or something brushless, that way you came keep everything the same and just drive the rear motor in reverse. The rotors could be short so they cant touch, but it wouldn't look right (like the MCX tandem). The best way is to be like the full size heli's: both rotor heads being driven by the same power source with a split drivetrain, so the rotors mechanically cant touch.

I put in a idea request to Blade on the website, I would really like to see a good shot at a tandem.

The MCX Tandem is a twin coaxial based on the MCX platform, thats as bad the Hughes S-300 coaxial and Red Bull coaxial, duh Blade!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the MCX Tandem is based on the Sea Knight not the Chinook! The Chinook has full length sponsons on the sides, not little ones like the sea knight. The Sea Knight is smaller, half the size and is what the Marines use, the Army uses the Chinook, heavy lift. Both can land and rest on the water, the Chinook needs a water damn installed internally, the sponsons are air tight and provide buoyancy.

I love the idea of tandems, using all the thrust and power towards lift, none wasted on anti rotation (tail rotor).

I hope I have given you some insight along with the mountain of authenticity to climb!
jaybyrd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank you much. I forgot there were more types of these, so-called bananna copters. I only used the name as reference to the type of heli I was refering too. Sounds like a mechanical nightmare and not sure how to do it with the electrics. When I saw the spare fuselage on ebay, I thought of the idea. Actually, thought about it for a long time cause I have only seen the bannana as a coaxial type. And I forgot it was a tri-blade. Maybe make one out of two of the Walkera 4F200LMs?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The light at the end of the tunnel is Blade made the new 4 rotor head for the Red Bull 130X, Blade also did the new optional 3 rotor head for the 700X. This gives me hope for a 3 rotor head "officially authorized" Chinook (or otherwise) tandem!

The banana reference I believe is from the Piasecki H-21 "Flying Banana" Piasecki started tandem's, they got bought by VerTol then Boeing, if I remember correctly.

The yellow and red Sea Knight (MCX Tandem model) is part of Canada's Search and Rescue team. Its a famous livery/paint-job.

I would worry about the electronics before the canopy, haha! I have seen an Align 550 tandem flying on youtube, so there is hope, but you would need some serious work on the flight controls and mechanics.

Figuring out rudder control I think is the hardest part.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking a tandem msrx might be the easiest to mash together and make work.

You have to decide early on if you want to mesh the front and rear rotor blades or not, just a different level might not be enough with hard over inputs given, the rotors might still touch, they really need to be mechanically meshed or so short they cannot touch. Oh these pesky design issues.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My hopes was for a micro-sized tandem. Seeing this new breed of micro four-bladed heads from Helimax gives me hope as well. Now, a micro tri-blade tandem would be cool.
Yes, I have a thing for micros.

Also hope Helimax does the Apache helicopter as thats also a four-blade chopper.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw the helimax Eurocopter, is that the 4 rotor head you are talking about? Doesn't that heli have a tail motor? not a torque tube or belt?

There is a Stingray that is a collective pitch quad copter. It has one brushless motor that drives all the rotors, thats one step closer to the tandem we are looking for.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Eurocopter is four bladed head, and has a motor for the tail. Its the Helimax Blackhawk that has the torque tube.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in