Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Other R/C Flight Simulators

Other R/C Flight Simulators Other R/C Flight Simulators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My pitch is 0% to 100% linear for normal, idle 1 and idle 2.

For setting up, I put the throttle as follows:
Normal - 0% staright
Idle 1 - 97% straight
Idle 2 - 100% straight
Hold - 0% straight

Thanks a lot for your pointers. Now I know the flight mode switch that I used to toggle among Normal/Idle1/Idle2 and throttle hold switch do not send any signal to Heli-x. These 2 switches do not tun any button in the button setup screen to red colour.
Logo 500 with Skookum
phwm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by phwm View Post
... Now I know the flight mode switch that I used to toggle among Normal/Idle1/Idle2 and throttle hold switch do not send any signal to Heli-x. These 2 switches do not tun any button in the button setup screen to red colour.
Exactly, Well put.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Thanks ArchmageAU for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post

After starting Heli-X in the Controller configuration:
  • Check use 5 channels
  • Check ignore thrust / pitch curves
  • Check ignore dual rate / expo settings
  • Collective pitch is stick S_5_y
  • Cyclic roll is stick S_0_x (inverted)
  • Cyclic nick is stick S_1_y
  • Rudder is stick S_4_rz
  • Engine Speed is stick S_3_slider
In Buttons setting:
  • Trigger (invert) is set to Idle Up 1 (Gyro switch 0 or 1)
  • Top is set to Idle Up 2 (Aux 3)
In Keyboard settings:
  • Toggle Pause Resume is set to SPACE
  • Instant Zoom In is set to F11
  • Instant Zoom Out is set to F12
I'm keen to get this sim working. It would save a lot of frustration if the Manual was a decent reflection of the current software version

In Version 4.2, the stick selection options in the Controller Configuration don't match the info above.

Can anyone advise how to match up the current options (XRotation, Slider, ZRotation, ZAxis, YAxis, XAxis) with the variables given in the original post by ArchmageAU?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2013-09-27 at 21.25.03.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	453735  
brw0513 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw0513 View Post
I'm keen to get this sim working. It would save a lot of frustration if the Manual was a decent reflection of the current software version

In Version 4.2, the stick selection options in the Controller Configuration don't match the info above.

Can anyone advise how to match up the current options (XRotation, Slider, ZRotation, ZAxis, YAxis, XAxis) with the variables given in the original post by ArchmageAU?

Thanks.
When you go through the calibration (sticks button), collective pitch, cyclic roll, cyclic nick and rudder will automatically set correctly.

To get the right ones for collective pitch and engine speed ("Use 5 channels" mode), after calibration, in normal mode, there will be 2 channels that vary with the throttle stick, but only the throttle channel will drop to zero when hold engaged.

So the steps are:
  • set up your TX sim models
  • start heli-x
  • do a stick calibration (during calibration, when asked to move stick, also flick all swicthes so gyro and auxiliary channels are calibrated too)
  • set usr 5 channel mode
  • correctly find throttle and collective channel (use hold to help find throttle channel)
  • set idle up 1, idle up 2 and autorotation on buttons or keys
  • save configuration

Each controller labels the channels differently. Channel labels for Interlink are different to my 12-in-1.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks ArchmageAU - I've had some success.

I'm using a SAILI USB "9 in 1 dongle" set to position 2 (=AeroFly) on the 4 position switch. No problem with loading the Trex600-6S model and flying around (using 5 channel option during the calibration process).

I can't get the Hover Training to work though - if I could I'd gladly pay the fee for the full version of the software.

Is Hover Training disabled in the free version or is there something specific required to start the model? There is a chance I haven't assigned the "buttons" correctly and perhaps this is a necessary step to get the model in the air to start training?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks ArchmageAU - I've had some success.

I'm using a SAILI USB "9 in 1 dongle" set to position 2 (=AeroFly) on the 4 position switch. No problem with loading the Trex600-6S model and flying around (using 5 channel option during the calibration process).

I can't get the Hover Training to work though - if I could I'd gladly pay the fee for the full version of the software.

Is Hover Training disabled in the free version or is there something specific required to start the model? There is a chance I haven't assigned the "buttons" correctly and perhaps this is a necessary step to get the model in the air to start training?
Glad I could help.

Hover training should be available without having to register. (Training menu > hover training). If the green circle comes up, it's active.

Do you have keys or buttons set up for Idle Up 1, Idle Up 2 and autorotation? I have autorotation and Idle Up 2 set on keys I never use (2 and 3).
Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I liked the hover training so much that I paid to register the software

But now the hover training doesn't behave for me It seems random, but the blades won't always spin up training mode. And when the heli does take off, there is a violent yaw. Although I have the height and yaw under the control of Heli-X, it's as though the throttle/pitch stick also influences yaw rate for a short period of time.

Oddly, the heli always behaves properly when not in training mode.

I'm reasonably sure I have my DX7 set up correctly following ArchmageAU's advice.

Any tips appreciated.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I liked the hover training so much that I paid to register the software

But now the hover training doesn't behave for me It seems random, but the blades won't always spin up training mode. And when the heli does take off, there is a violent yaw. Although I have the height and yaw under the control of Heli-X, it's as though the throttle/pitch stick also influences yaw rate for a short period of time.

Oddly, the heli always behaves properly when not in training mode.

I'm reasonably sure I have my DX7 set up correctly following ArchmageAU's advice.

Any tips appreciated.
HeliX 4.2. When hover training starts you are on the ground, as soon as you lift off it will try yaw to the heading it is meant to have (quickly). This is assuming you are setting Heli-X to control rudder and putting a rotation rate.

As for throttle control in hover training for HeliX 4.2, I've never experienced a problem as long as Idle-up 1 is engaged (and the collective start negative - weird this, but a quick punch into the negative collective, the blades start when Idle-up 1 is engaged).

If using 5ch mode an collective control is determined by Heli-X. You still have control over the throttle. As I use idle up modes on my TX in 5ch made, the throttle remains consistent. If a normal mode is used, you can vary the throttle which will affects the main rotor torque and the tail blade effectiveness, you can kick the tail control around a bit with this.

Summary:
- Rapid yaw on startup in the mode you are using is normal. (Only of first launch, subsequent ones start in the air and are normal).
- Ensure you are using an idle-up 1 or idle-up 2 setting (button or key).
- When starting blades, from stopped, sometime you need a little negative collective (once they start moving, it acts normally).
- Do not use a normal throttle curve as it will affect the yaw within the yaw and collective controlled hover training.

Hope this all helps.

(PS. Heli-X v5, when released (hopefully before end of year) won't cost you any more and looks very good. Hover training has been updated (circle size: s-m-l, circle changes between 3 colours based on distance from centre, circle based on movable launch point, more yaw speeds, can flip with rotating rudder control and the heli won't try spin 180 degrees)).
Old 11-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

hello, I don't know if this is the right thread... Anyway, I'm trying the beta version of Heli-X v5, on a Macbook Air. I can't use it, because the Z axis (tail control) isn't red from the software. The version 4.2 works well.

P.S. @ArchmageAU: thank you for your thread "From tail to tail...", I'm following it and after 2 weeks I'm already noticing improvements
davidozzo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidozzo View Post
hello, I don't know if this is the right thread... Anyway, I'm trying the beta version of Heli-X v5, on a Macbook Air. I can't use it, because the Z axis (tail control) isn't red from the software. The version 4.2 works well.
This is surprising as there are no alterations between v4.2 and v5 input controls.

When you calibrate Heli-X v5, does the rudder move any of the detected channels? Calibration is not only to detect the controller, but assign the primary 4 channels and their directions. (If you want 5th channel, you must activate it and ensure it is working fine in the controller configuration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidozzo View Post
P.S. @ArchmageAU: thank you for your thread "From tail to tail...", I'm following it and after 2 weeks I'm already noticing improvements
Most welcome. Glad it helped/is helping you. I love to hear of peoples progress.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
This is surprising as there are no alterations between v4.2 and v5 input controls.

When you calibrate Heli-X v5, does the rudder move any of the detected channels? Calibration is not only to detect the controller, but assign the primary 4 channels and their directions. (If you want 5th channel, you must activate it and ensure it is working fine in the controller configuration).
The problem is that the sim doesn't recognize the input of rudder. And, another thing, I can't check the option to use 5 channel, and the other two that are bottom.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I assume calibration settings are stored in a file somewhere? Maybe that can be copied from 4.2 to 5? ...never tried it or know where it is, just an idea that popped up when I read this thread :-)
Rebel10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

UPDATE: I switch the dongle to RealFlight G5, and after configuration, I can use all axis of both sticks
Old 11-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has the v5 beta been released? I didn't see it on the website.
Turnigy Power Systems.
jk6stringer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by phwm View Post
My pitch is 0% to 100% linear for normal, idle 1 and idle 2.

For setting up, I put the throttle as follows:
Normal - 0% staright
Idle 1 - 97% straight
Idle 2 - 100% straight
Hold - 0% straight

Thanks a lot for your pointers. Now I know the flight mode switch that I used to toggle among Normal/Idle1/Idle2 and throttle hold switch do not send any signal to Heli-x. These 2 switches do not tun any button in the button setup screen to red colour.
I am setting up a dx8. I have the same curves but when I flip into idle up the heli goes straight up. The monitor on the dx8 shows the pitch is not changing when I flip the switch (as I expected) but the heli acts like it has been given positive pitch.

I have tried toggleing the use 5 channels and ignore pitch curves but the behaviour is the same. When I look in the Helix-x controller configuration and flip idle up I do infact see the the collective pitch green bar jump up. I have both collective pitch and engine speed set to stick throttle. I do not have z axis used for anything.

I would really like to get this working and buy heli x as I much prefer the provided perspective of the heli in this sim as compared to Phoenix.

Not sure how I can tell if it is my USB cables causing this problem. They are both older hobby kings cables and may not be the standard FMS type cable that for instance Heli direct sells.

Any and all ideas appreciated.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Simulator setup

You have your throttle channel from the Tx controlling pitch on the sim.

On the controller setup menu, find the throttle channel by watching the monitor screen on the Tx and using a little trial and error to select the right channel.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not getting it. Can someone elaborate.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab223 View Post
I am setting up a dx8. I have the same curves but when I flip into idle up the heli goes straight up. The monitor on the dx8 shows the pitch is not changing when I flip the switch (as I expected) but the heli acts like it has been given positive pitch.

I have tried toggleing the use 5 channels and ignore pitch curves but the behaviour is the same. When I look in the Helix-x controller configuration and flip idle up I do infact see the the collective pitch green bar jump up. I have both collective pitch and engine speed set to stick throttle. I do not have z axis used for anything.

I would really like to get this working and buy heli x as I much prefer the provided perspective of the heli in this sim as compared to Phoenix.

Not sure how I can tell if it is my USB cables causing this problem. They are both older hobby kings cables and may not be the standard FMS type cable that for instance Heli direct sells.

Any and all ideas appreciated.
In Heli-X (and most sims) you can set which recieved channel controls which input.

Frist check the monitor screen on your TX. If you have a flat throttle curve (all 100) and a linear pitch curve (0-100), when you vary the throttle stick the PIT channel should vary from -100 to +100. Then you hit TH, the THR channel should drop from +100 to -100.

When you connect to your sim, you should be able to see the channel values varying as you move the sticks. Assuming you have calibrated correctly, find the channel that varies from -100 to +100 as you move the throttle stick. Assign this channel to Collective (or pitch). Now find the channel that changes when you flick TH on and off. Assign this to Throttle.

This should do it.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK got it. I may have been suffering a sympathy hangover yesterday ( thats my story).
I set collective pitch to slider in the controller menu and everything works. I am not sure why I did not try that yesterday.

Thanks for your help Medic and Archmage. Very much appreciated.

The spool up in idle up is kinda of rough and glitchy. Its seems better to spool up in normal and then flip to idle up. Do I need to play with govenor settings.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Guys, I have sent my 50 Euro's (European Soviet Union currency) off to Michael. Heli-x seems like a pretty good product. I am not saying its better than Phoenix, who knows maybe I will feel that way later, but it certainly compliments some of what I perceive as Phoenix shortfalls.
I doubt I need two sims but Heli-x has put a little vigour into my sim practice and its worth the price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in