Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 600 Head speed

I am currently running 2100 RPM w/ OS 55. I am thinking that this HS is not optimal because I am making max power at about 2000 RPM. Would it be better for me just to run at 2000 from the get go or will I feel a drop in pop? I do full punch outs and it will hold at 2000-2050 RPM anyways.

On another note, I am looking at pushing my 3d flying to the next level and I am thinking about training at a lower HS around 1700-1800 RPM. This will help my collective management but will it really help me gain more control and precise maneuvers?

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

point 1 - you need to make sure you check your max rpm with governor off via a taco then set the head speed 50 under that for the engine to have headroom to hold rpm

apparently it should then keep the engine in it power boost rpm of 1750

for example to taco and find you have a max head speed of 2080 ( like i did ) then you set your gov to 2030. this method basically allows a nitro engine to stay in the power band.

point 2 - the lower head speed basically allows you to slow down the maneuvers. cos you are flying at lower / slower head peed tail and cyclic setting. Your brain can absorb the finger reflex easier. So when you go to mode 2 the actual maneuver is not the challenge more the speed of the maneuver. try it on the sim and see ??

thanks .
Old 08-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the reply, I get what you are saying in point 2 with it being fast, and that is what I am trying to clean up. So I guess I can just keep flying it fast until I smooth it out.

As for point 1, so I want to see max RPM under a 100 throttle punch out I am assuming. Thanks, I will get this taken care of this weekend.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not quite sure I would agree with point 1 :
For OS 55
Practical rpm: 2,000-20,000
Output: 2.07 hp @ 17,000 rpm
17K RPM on the engine, with 8.5 gear ratio gives you 2000 RPM on the rotor head. My understanding is you want to set your gov speed at 50, max 100 RPM higher than the max power output, so that on sudden loads the split second it takes for your gov to react will bring your HS right at the max output.

I run my 600N at 2200 and its an absolute thrill, expect mine is a whole diff animal, big block conversion with YS91 and a 24 teeth pinion ...
Zbawer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info, I am currently running 2100 rpm and it feels like a dog sometimes in a climb. I have head speed telemetry so I do some punchouts and watch the rpm, it dips down to 2000 then up to 2050 sustained climb with the governor. I am just looking to get the best performance out of it as this is my first nitro and I am used to the electric high head speed for power mentality.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

then you should try a bigger pinion, 21T, maybe 22T ... all readily available at Infinity Hobby
This will give you higher HS and will also teach you better collective managment.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am on a velocity 50n2 and all I have seen was the stock 15t pinion.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

on a nitro it all depends on max power the engine can run at to produce maximum head speed. this is if you like a fixed point with your engine. no a presumption, but logics

if you engine cannot push 2100 as a max blade RPM ungoverned why set it at that.if anything it will feel like it has less power cos the governer has nothing above to govern.

i suppose its a each to his own, but thanks for your definition as all helps us all to have different point of view. If you put a different pinion on just like an electric yes you will get a hire blade head speed for the same engine RPM. but it wont make the PHYSICAL limits of the engine in the first place change.

do it however you want ill stick with my method as i no my engine is happy so im happy.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It can spin 2100 easily but when I pull a hard manuever and use a lot of pitch it will bog down. I am just asking if I should just set it to that point at which it holds 12 degreees pitch and by pass all the extra head speed from the start.

FrSky Taranis
Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry I assumed you were on a Trex 600N ... don't think Velocity have any options for larger pinion.
Earlier you were saying you have your gov set at 2100 but when you "do some punchouts and watch the rpm, it dips down to 2000 then up to 2050 sustained climb with the governor", that's not what I would call bogging down.
I think you're over-thinking it. Just leave it as is and go fly.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbawer View Post
Sorry I assumed you were on a Trex 600N ... don't think Velocity have any options for larger pinion.
Earlier you were saying you have your gov set at 2100 but when you "do some punchouts and watch the rpm, it dips down to 2000 then up to 2050 sustained climb with the governor", that's not what I would call bogging down.
I think you're over-thinking it. Just leave it as is and go fly.
Ok, thanks for the info, its my first nitro and I am not really familiar with how they should perform. I just wanted to make sure my head speed was set correct with how a nitro should be and I was at a good performance spot.

FrSky Taranis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in