Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Model > Edit and choose detailed. Main rotor > Rotor > Collective pitch.

Looking to fly scale, or make the heli more docile? (or more aggressive?)

If you turn off the governor, to get the right max blade speed you need to put a max RPM of 18500 for the Protos (instead of the default 16000). If running without governor, it will try to match speed with the throttle curves in your transmitter.

Hope this helps.
Hi there Archmage... Yep I had 12 degrees and for the Protos I used 18,000 revs ( disabled the Governor).. So I need to do some hunting to see why that would happen. I will get back.
HarryR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you so much from the new people (like me) that have no one close to teach us how to do these things. Thank you!
tndiesel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Spektrum DX6

The setup for the Phoenix was helpful, and I've got my TX up and running (I think). I would appreciate a setup specifically for the "New" Spektrum DX6 for the Phoenix 5 simulator if any one has that particular pair.
From what I've read, the "New" DX6 is more similar to DX9.

Thanks...Brucena2
Brucena2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Model tuning????

ArchmageAU,

I'm back to using my Phoenix sim after about 6 months of dormancy. So I started
by going thru your set-up routine with my DX6i, but when I get to the part about model tuning (de-select throttket curve, set all expo to 0, etc. ) I dont see those options on any model.
When I ran Phoenix it asked to upgrade to latest (5.0.r). Did they change the model tuning at some point?

-Doug
lyonsd58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #45 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsd58 View Post
ArchmageAU,

I'm back to using my Phoenix sim after about 6 months of dormancy. So I started
by going thru your set-up routine with my DX6i, but when I get to the part about model tuning (de-select throttket curve, set all expo to 0, etc. ) I dont see those options on any model.
When I ran Phoenix it asked to upgrade to latest (5.0.r). Did they change the model tuning at some point?

-Doug
Just need some time among other projects to do the update for v5. Will get to it soon.

(The DX6i part will remain the same, the Phoenix part will change).
Old 07-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much for this thread! I still can't find the option to use the TX curves instead of standard ones in Phoenix V5. Or does v5 automatically take the TX curves? When I adjust them at my DX6i, flying behavior doesn't seem to change...
Ties585 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #47 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Phoenix Setup with DX6i step-by-step guide

Time for an update (since v5 has settled down).

This is in response to requests for a step-by-step guide on how to set up a DX6i for use with Phoenix.

Please read "Simulator setup" (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538755) for more information as to how simulators work with TX's.

I assume Phoenix is already installed at this stage, so I will not put in instructions on how to install Phoenix.

Next we need to prepare the DX6i for connection.
  • Power on the DX6i. (do not attach sim trainer cable yet).
  • In adjust menu, select a blank model, or a model to erase.
  • In setup menu, use Copy/Reset to reset this model. (this ensures, no trim, sub-trim, travel adjust, or other settings that can affect calibration)
  • Also in setup menu, select model type of heli (this is HeliFreak). We want pitch and throttle on the same stick, but calibrated properly.
  • In setup menu, put in a model name of sim (so it does not get confused with other models)
  • In adjust menu, change the gyro to 10,90 with switch of gyro
  • Set throttle curve of hold +10

DX6i should be ready for connection to Phoenix. You can turn it off.

Start Phoenix on your computer. Cable can must be attached. DX6i must be plugged into the cable. (this will power the DX6i on without powering the RF transmitter module)

We are going to calibrate the DX6i as a new transmitter to Phoenix.

• Go to the Phoenix main menu.
  • Select "System > Your Controls"
  • Delete any unwanted profiles (like old DX6i if one there)
  • Select New profile
  • Name: My DX6i (note: DX6i on its own is too short)
  • Select Quick Setup
  • Center all sticks - Next
  • Raise Throttle/coll (Ch1) - Next
  • Collective up (Ch6) - Next
  • Rudder right (Ch4) - Next
  • Elevator up (Ch3) - Next
  • Aileron right (Ch2) - Next
  • Gear - Skip
  • Flaps (gyro) (Ch5) - Next
  • Finish
  • Edit profile
  • Assign heli gyro to (Ch5) - This is not done automatically
  • Finished

Now that Phoenix knows the correct limits for the DX6i channels, we can now alter the DX6i settings the way we want. We want to control the model by the DX6i settings, not the built in model overrides. This way we can get better control (like working Throttle hold, DR&Expo settings we want, different throttle curves and pitch curve, etc)

Disconnect the DX6i from the trainer cable (it will turn off). And power the DX6i on by the switch.

Suggested DX6i settings:

Throttle curves:
  • (Normal - 0,56.5,72.5,72.5,72.5)
  • (Stunt - 72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5) conservative
  • (Stunt - 100,100,100,100,100) aggressive (what I use)
  • (Hold - 10) (DX6i bug. This comes out as 0)

Pitch curves:
  • (Normal - 45, 51, 60, 73.5, 91.0)
  • (Stunt - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)
  • (Hold - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)

In setup list, set D/R COMBI to D/R SW:RUDD (optional, but allows all the DR&Expo settings to be changed by hitting one switch, instead of 3 (one for each channel)

Set DR&Expo to taste. I use:
  • pos 0: (80/20 80/20 100/20)
  • pos 1: (100/20 100/20 100/20) (use Rudd Dr switch to change between positions if you used the D/R Combi setting I mentioned earlier)

Set Gyro to (75,25). Phoenix treats this as an on/off switch, so specific values ar not required. Model programming is needed to really affect model gyro settings. This will just turn heading hold on and off. I fly heading hold permanently on.

Now we have out DX6i how we like it, we can turn it off, then connect the Phoenix cable to the trainer port (which will re-power the DX6i without the RF transmitter).

Since the DX6i has the flight settings we want, we have to tell Phoenix not to override them. By default it assumes you are using a dumb 4 channel controller with switches (like a plane). We need to tell Phoenix, we know what we are doing with throttle AND collective, and the we control the DR&expo.

(This is where things change in v5 from v4)

In Phoenix, go into Model tuning (edit)
  • In Controls > Elevator: Set expo to 0% (uses expo in transmitter now) - Do not alter low rate, you will not use it anyway.
  • In Controls > Aileron: Set expo to 0% (uses expo in transmitter now) - Do not alter low rate, you will not use it anyway.
  • In Controls > Rudder: Set expo to 0% (uses expo in transmitter now) - Do not alter low rate, you will not use it anyway.
  • I have found you don't really need the governor (unless you really want to be picky), so the following is how to have the RPM follow the throttle input.
    • In Main Rotor > Governor: Uncheck enable (but take note of RPM number - SAB Goblin 700 is 2250 - Assume this is max RPM you want to get to)
    • In Main Rotor > Engine: Set max RPM to (RPM * Gear ratio) - (2250 * 8.5 = 19125 for SAB Goblin 700)
  • Select finished and you copy of the model will be saved (as Heli - Copy)

You should be able to fly normally after all this.

I'm sure there will be some debate over this (as there is more than one method for all this). This is the method I find most flexible for model configuration for flight.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I swear I followed your directions to a T. Yet, my pitch and my throttle are opposite directions of each other, In addtion, my throttle will only go to 71%.

What did I do wrong?
jessecuster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #49 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecuster View Post
I swear I followed your directions to a T. Yet, my pitch and my throttle are opposite directions of each other, In addtion, my throttle will only go to 71%.

What did I do wrong?
Hard to tell what may be wrong. Calibration on a new model should allow pitch and throttle to go to 100%.

Did you calibrate BEFORE making adjustment to throttle and pitch curves? After altering throttle curve as per instruction, your throttle in normal mode will top out at 72.5% (71% is close enough).

If really in doubt, best approach is usually to start a new model in the TX from scratch (default pitch and throttle curves) and start the calibration process again. (So essentially, literally start again from the top).
Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I figured it out. Apparently in the Edit Profile, there is a box you can check for Invert, to invert the controls. I guess that is what happened.
jessecuster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 200srx and I know phoenix v5 doesn't have this model (at least not yet). I'm new with the sim, could anyone help me to set up my dx6i. Or anyone know what's the closest heli to 200srx to practice with?

Sorry guys for noob questions. Thanks!
Sonj06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonj06 View Post
I have a 200srx and I know phoenix v5 doesn't have this model (at least not yet). I'm new with the sim, could anyone help me to set up my dx6i. Or anyone know what's the closest heli to 200srx to practice with?

Sorry guys for noob questions. Thanks!
Replied in PM, but re-posted here for others benefit.

200SRX is a fixed pitch helicopter. Most of the Phoenix models are collective pitch.

The closest you will find in Phoenix is the Align T-Rex 250 3G flown in normal mode (pitch curve - 30,40,50,75,90 / throttle curve - 0,40,60,80,100). This will not have safe mode (but in the sim you should not need this). Adjust DR and expo to suit.

The bigger helis fly as they should (plenty of power easy to power out of situations), but what you have will react more like the 250 on normal.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do i need to adjust pitch curve and throttle curve? or Trex 250 set up this way? Confused sorry!
Where should I adjust the DR and Expo to suit? On tx? Thank you for helping me out and sorry for all the noob questions.
Sonj06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Update for Phoenix 5.0

This is in response to requests for a step-by-step guide on how to set up a DX6i for use with Phoenix.

Please read "Simulator setup" (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538755) for more information as to how simulators work with TX's.

I assume Phoenix is already installed at this stage, so I will not put in instructions on how to install Phoenix.

Next we need to prepare the DX6i for connection.
  • Power on the DX6i. (do not attach sim trainer cable yet).
  • In adjust menu, select a blank model, or a model to erase.
  • In setup menu, use Copy/Reset to reset this model. (this ensures, no trim, sub-trim, travel adjust, or other settings that can affect calibration)
  • Also in setup menu, select model type of heli (this is HeliFreak). We want pitch and throttle on the same stick, but calibrated properly.
  • In setup menu, put in a model name of sim (so it does not get confused with other models)
  • In adjust menu, change the gyro to 10,90 with switch of gyro
  • Set throttle curve of hold +10

DX6i should be ready for connection to Phoenix. You can turn it off.

Start Phoenix on your computer. Cable can must be attached. DX6i must be plugged into the cable. (this will power the DX6i on without powering the RF transmitter module)

We are going to calibrate the DX6i as a new transmitter to Phoenix.
  • Select "System > Setup new transmitter"
  • "Setup new transmitter" - Next
  • "Preparing your transmitter" - Next
  • "Calibrating your transmitter" - Next
  • "Calibrating your transmitter" - Next
  • "Centre all controls" (Centre the stick on your TX, ensure all switches at pos 0 - throttle hold off) - Next
  • "Move all sticks to extents" (Move all sticks in a + fashion till channels 1-4 and 6 show full movement. Do not move gryo switch yet) - Next
  • "Move all sticks to extents" (Move gyro switch and channel 5 should show full movement) - Next
  • "Check calibration" (Move sticks and switches to verify) - Finish
  • "Setting your controls" - Next
  • "Setting up your controls" (Select "My transmitter is not listed here" so we can create our own custom one) - Next
  • "Creating a custom profile" - Next
  • "Choose profile name" (Enter a name like "My DX6i". Leave Quick Setup highlighted) - Next
  • "Centre all controls" (Centre the stick on your TX, ensure all switches at pos 0 - throttle hold off) - Next
  • "Engine Control" (Move throttle stick up, Channel 1 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Collective Pitch Control" (Move throttle stick up, Channel 6 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Rudder/Tail-rotor Control" (Move rudder stick right, Channel 4 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Elevator/Cyclic-pitch Control" (Move elevator stick up, Channel 3 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Aileron/Cyclic-pitch Control" (Move aileron stick right, Channel 2 should be selected. If not recentre and retry. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Retract Gear Function" (Move Gyro switch, Channel 5 should be selected. If not retry and move switch again. After correct channel listed, Next) - Next
  • "Flaps Function" (DX6i for heli, flaps not available at this stage, so skip. Next steps after calibration will set plane flaps) - Skip
  • "Setup complete" - Finish
  • "Completed" - Finish
Now the TX is calibrated you may want to do a couple more things. First is set the Gyro mode to be on channel 5. Second is to set the channels for flying planes
  • Select "System > Your controls"
  • Select your transmitter from custom and select "Edit Profile"
  • Scroll down to "Retract Gear" under "General" and set channel to "Controller channel 5"
  • Scroll down to "Gyro Mode" under "Helicopters" and set channel to "Controller channel 5"
  • Scroll down to "Flaps" under "Fixed-wing" and set channel to "Controller channel 6"
  • Finished
  • Finished
Now that Phoenix knows the correct limits for the DX6i channels, we can now alter the DX6i settings the way we want. We want to control the model by the DX6i settings, not the built in model overrides. This way we can get better control (like working Throttle hold, DR&Expo settings we want, different throttle curves and pitch curve, etc)

Disconnect the DX6i from the trainer cable (it will turn off). And power the DX6i on by the switch.

Suggested DX6i settings: (These can be changed to suit)

Throttle curves:
  • (Normal - 0,56.5,72.5,72.5,72.5)
  • (Stunt - 72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5,72.5) conservative
  • (Stunt - 100,100,100,100,100) aggressive (what I use)
  • (Hold - 10) (DX6i bug. This comes out as 0)
Pitch curves:
  • (Normal - 30, 40, 50, 75, 100)
  • (Stunt - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)
  • (Hold - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)

In setup list, set D/R COMBI to D/R SW:RUDD (optional, but allows all the DR&Expo settings to be changed by hitting one switch, instead of 3 (one for each channel)

Set DR&Expo to taste. I use:
  • pos 0: (80/20 80/20 100/20)
  • pos 1: (100/20 100/20 100/20) (use Rudd Dr switch to change between positions if you used the D/R Combi setting I mentioned earlier)

Leave gyro (90,10). Phoenix treats this as an on/off switch, so specific values are not required. Model programming is needed to really affect model gyro settings. This will just turn heading hold on and off. I fly heading hold permanently on.

Now we have out DX6i how we like it, we can turn it off, then connect the Phoenix cable to the trainer port (which will re-power the DX6i without the RF transmitter).

Since the DX6i has the flight settings we want, we have to tell Phoenix not to override them. By default it assumes you are using a dumb 4 channel controller with switches (like a plane). We need to tell Phoenix, we know what we are doing with throttle AND collective, and the we control the DR&expo.

Phoenix has default expo and governor on helis you way want to fly. You will want to override these so it flies the way the transmitter is set up, not how the default model is.

Load the model you want to fly (The example I used is the T-Rex 700E 3G).

Next go into Model > Edit and choose detailed.

In Phoenix, go into Model tuning (detailed)
  • In Model Controls: Set Expo for Elevator, Aileron, and Rudder to 0, see attached screen shot (dual rates is not used unless you change to low rates by keyboard)
  • Open up Main rotor > Engine and Main rotor Governor. For a model governor is usually set at 100% of blade speed (if not using advanced). It overrides the max RPM of the motor to do this. The max RPM of the motor should be at least as fast as the governor will allow. If you turn off the governor, you will need to calculate the max RPM as desired RPM x Gear ratio. For the 700E shown this meant the Max RPM had to be set to 17850 (not 15000) to allow an RPM of 2100 ungoverned. So change the Max RPM and disable the governor if you want a normal flying mode.

You should be able to fly normally after all this.

I'm sure there will be some debate over this (as there is more than one method for all this). This is the method I find most flexible for model configuration for flight.
Hi,

I am having issues with Idle up and Throttle Hold with these settings, seems not to be working. This sim is spooling up the heli, mind you it fly's great just the idle up and throttle hold issue for me.

Can you help?

Regards,
Marlos
marlosb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #55 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlosb View Post
Hi,

I am having issues with Idle up and Throttle Hold with these settings, seems not to be working. This sim is spooling up the heli, mind you it fly's great just the idle up and throttle hold issue for me.

Can you help?

Regards,
Marlos
Is your DX6i working in the monitor screen? (ie. Throttle Hold brings channel 1 to bottom mark in DX6i screen).

In normal mode on the DX6i, does the throttle setting in Phoenix vary from 0 to 72.5 (System -> Your controls -> Edit profile)?

In this setup, throttle hold and idle up are functions of your transmitter setup, not Phoenix (but you must be calibrated properly).
Old 09-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everything works find in the monitor screen, so I am not sure what's causing this problem. If I choose the DX6i from the transmitter drop down list all controls work well, but if I setup a new profile manually, I lose both functions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #57 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Everything works find in the monitor screen, so I am not sure what's causing this problem. If I choose the DX6i from the transmitter drop down list all controls work well, but if I setup a new profile manually, I lose both functions
DX6i template has "1" set to throttle hold and "3" set to idle up. When I fly I never take my hands off the controls so TH is the switch on the back right of the DX6i (well Taranis for me) and the mode switch (front left) is my normal/idle up switch. I fly mode 2.

The goal of the setup is to fly the same way in the sim as in real life. (Don't take a keyboard to the field when flying )

I contend you have not lost the functions, they have just moved.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would figure it out, just need to deep dive into it, thought others had the same problem I am having.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #59 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I would figure it out, just need to deep dive into it, thought others had the same problem I am having.
I monitor this thread (and many others). You are the first to raise this issue (either in forum or by PM). Does not mean that others have not seen this issue.

Can you be more specific about TH and idle up not working. Do the switches on the DX6i not stop the rotor and switch modes, or does the '1' and '3' keys not working?

Does the inputs seen in the Edit settings screen match the DX6i monitor screen for the nominated channels?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am currently going over the setup let you know how it goes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in