Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

New to Helis and just got a simulator. Wondering is the guide on the first page is relevant to the new DX9? Thanks!
Bansheerider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #82 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheerider View Post
New to Helis and just got a simulator. Wondering is the guide on the first page is relevant to the new DX9? Thanks!
Yes.

Only this part would change:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
--- v5 setup guide ---

Next we need to prepare the DX6i for connection.
  • Power on the DX6i. (do not attach sim trainer cable yet).
  • In adjust menu, select a blank model, or a model to erase.
  • In setup menu, use Copy/Reset to reset this model. (this ensures, no trim, sub-trim, travel adjust, or other settings that can affect calibration)
  • Also in setup menu, select model type of heli (this is HeliFreak). We want pitch and throttle on the same stick, but calibrated properly.
  • In setup menu, put in a model name of sim (so it does not get confused with other models)
  • In adjust menu, change the gyro to 10,90 with switch of gyro
  • Set throttle curve of hold +10

The adjustment is:

Next we need to prepare the DX9 for connection.
  • Power on the DX9. (do not attach sim trainer cable yet).
  • In setup menu, create a new model of type heli (this is HeliFreak). We want pitch and throttle on the same stick, but calibrated properly.
  • In setup menu, put in a model name of sim (so it does not get confused with other models)
  • Do not adjust gyro (it is already -100/+100)
  • Do not adjust throttle hold (it is already 0)
(I do not have a DX9, I welcome any suggestions on this alteration. You may need to set Gyro to a switch as I do not know if default helicopter model sets this).

The rest is how to get the sim to use the TX.

Once Phoenix calibrated to the DX9, then you program the DX9 like a flying model help (proper throttle and pitch curves).
Old 08-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes.

Only this part would change:

The adjustment is:

Next we need to prepare the DX9 for connection.
  • Power on the DX9. (do not attach sim trainer cable yet).
  • In setup menu, create a new model of type heli (this is HeliFreak). We want pitch and throttle on the same stick, but calibrated properly.
  • Do not adjust gyro (it is already -100/+100)
  • Do not adjust throttle hold (it is already 0)
(I do not have a DX9, I welcome any suggestions on this alteration. You may need to set Gyro to a switch as I do not know if default helicopter model sets this).

The rest is how to get the sim to use the TX.

Once Phoenix calibrated to the DX9, then you program the DX9 like a flying model help (proper throttle and pitch curves).
Thank you!
Bansheerider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Only one TX model?

Quote:
I have never use pre-set curves in v5.
If you wanted a custom throttle curve in the sim instead of in the transmitter you would need to put it in "System" > "Your Controls" > "Edit Profile". But this would affect planes and all helis and interact with the governor. In short do not do it.
Along these lines...

I've just started getting into Phoenix. I'm flying ok, but I'm not sure about some of the suggested settings, specifically the SIMHELI model for use with the sim. Do you always use the exact same DR, Expo, and curves for every heli? It seems like I would need to change the SIMHELI setup any time I want to try a different platform, which doesn't seem very convenient.

At some point someone asked about the pitch for the T-Rex 700 for ID. The suggestion was to change the models minimum pitch to ~-2. I tried this and the heli doesn't lift off until the throttle is around 75%. This also makes it so the available negative pitch isn't there if I wanted to do 3D (and crash ). You could program a pitch curve in the sim controller settings, but then you lose your NORM/STUNT switch. The way I had set this up myself was to leave the model pitch range alone and use a NORM curve of something like (40, 50, 55, 65, 70). This is not necessarily what I would use on a Blade 450 X.

The only solution I can see, is change the sim controller setup as little as possible, tweak models to remove expo and make them fly more accurately, and use a couple of model slots in the TX if you want to fly different helis with drastically different setups.

Thoughts?
PhoenixofMT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #85 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixofMT View Post
Quote:
I have never use pre-set curves in v5.
If you wanted a custom throttle curve in the sim instead of in the transmitter you would need to put it in "System" > "Your Controls" > "Edit Profile". But this would affect planes and all helis and interact with the governor. In short do not do it.
Along these lines...

I've just started getting into Phoenix. I'm flying ok, but I'm not sure about some of the suggested settings, specifically the SIMHELI model for use with the sim. Do you always use the exact same DR, Expo, and curves for every heli? It seems like I would need to change the SIMHELI setup any time I want to try a different platform, which doesn't seem very convenient.

At some point someone asked about the pitch for the T-Rex 700 for ID. The suggestion was to change the models minimum pitch to ~-2. I tried this and the heli doesn't lift off until the throttle is around 75%. This also makes it so the available negative pitch isn't there if I wanted to do 3D (and crash ). You could program a pitch curve in the sim controller settings, but then you lose your NORM/STUNT switch. The way I had set this up myself was to leave the model pitch range alone and use a NORM curve of something like (40, 50, 55, 65, 70). This is not necessarily what I would use on a Blade 450 X.

The only solution I can see, is change the sim controller setup as little as possible, tweak models to remove expo and make them fly more accurately, and use a couple of model slots in the TX if you want to fly different helis with drastically different setups.

Thoughts?
The "System" > "Your Controls" > "Edit Profile" changes the input controls. ie. all helis, planes, multi-rotors. Ideally, this should not be changed.

Most heli models will "feel" best with similar expo. This can be tweaked per model.

In Phoenix you can also edit the model itself to adjust expo.

If you have expo in the TX of 30 and you want expo 20, then putting expo -10 on these settings in a model has the desired result. The only caveat is that you must be using 100% DR in the TX.

Each Phoenix model has a default DR. You can either set as desired, or set to 0 and use the TX.

It really is the users choice as to how they want to configure things:
  • Expo in the TX and none (or an adjustment in Phoenix) or
  • No expo in the TX and all the expo adjustment done in Phoenix.
I personally use 0 in Phoenix and set in TX, as I have multiple DR&expo settings that I can change by switches on the TX (more than 2). I use them for precision hovering, big-air, and learning advanced 3D.

So pros and cons to each approach.

Hope this all makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix-model-expo.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	615357  
Old 12-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Arch. Just trying to use Phoenix with Simstick Pro(Lemon RX just because gunny said they were great!). I am setting the tx and Phoenix up first with the cable attached to the tx (just to make sure it's right).
I have done the complete setup and the heli (Trex 700) won't lift off. Engine revs but no lift. Have pitch set -12.5/+12.5. Do I need more?
Or is something else wrong?
franknsled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #87 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknsled View Post
Hi Arch. Just trying to use Phoenix with Simstick Pro(Lemon RX just because gunny said they were great!). I am setting the tx and Phoenix up first with the cable attached to the tx (just to make sure it's right).
I have done the complete setup and the heli (Trex 700) won't lift off. Engine revs but no lift. Have pitch set -12.5/+12.5. Do I need more?
Or is something else wrong?
In the System > Your Controls > (Select profile) [edit profile]

Does Helicopters > Collective Pitch move all the way from 0 to 100?
Does General > Throttle move as expected (0 when hold is on, as expected when hold is releases (Mine usually goes to 100 as I fly IU 100% of the time).

First check controls are working properly, then we can look at model setting.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

You fixed it! I reversed the pitch and away we go!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spoke too soon. When I try to use the simstick, every thing is messed up. Tried to set up the tx using the simstick but the throttle is reversed and doesn't matter what I do it stays reversed. Maybe something wrong with the simstick? If I knew what I was doing I"d make my own like what Frank Fuss said. Guess I'm doomed to use the cable.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #90 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknsled View Post
Spoke too soon. When I try to use the simstick, every thing is messed up. Tried to set up the tx using the simstick but the throttle is reversed and doesn't matter what I do it stays reversed. Maybe something wrong with the simstick? If I knew what I was doing I"d make my own like what Frank Fuss said. Guess I'm doomed to use the cable.
With simstick, you MUST recalibrate.

Create a new controller in Phoenix for simstick.

A little persistence and you will get it.

I sim tethered 99% or the time. Lower latency, less fiddling, more flying. Found wireless simming more of an inconvenience as I am always close enough to the computer that I sim on that the tether is never a bother.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Must have gone thru the complete set up routine a half a dozen times.
recalibrate and still get throttle reversed. If I reverse the throttle, still reversed in sim. Everything works fine when using the cable. I'll wait for the HK wireless adapter to restock. I can't get far enough away from the 55 inch with the cable and don't like the computer monitor.
This simstick has been driving me nuts for a year now(off and on).
I'll throw it in the parts drawer.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cannot thank you enough. I have Phoenix and a DX6i but I have not been able to get a realistic simulation of my T-Rex 600 on it. I have been very frustrated about it and found it almost useless to help me practice. Horizon, I am sorry to say, was not any help at all. I just ran across this thread on setting up the DX6i for heli practice on the Phoenix, have followed your instructions and am now very pleased. Now I can try a lot of things I have wanted to try and not have to worry about crashing my heli.

Align 600E Pro DFC, Blade 230 S, Blade 200 SRX, Blade MCPx BL, Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)
jackcutrone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank you for the great HOWTO

ArchmageAU, I'm a newbie and spent quite a bit of time reading all your documentation. I decided to get a simulator before touching a CP and am most thankful.

I also would never have been able to setup the DX6i with Phoenix or any other simulator without your in depth guide.

Thank you,

Mick
micksonline is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have Win 10 pro X64. I can not use this simulator, cause i stuck on
ppjoy and spp. I do not have usb dongle.
Bora61 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #95 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora61 View Post
I have Win 10 pro X64. I can not use this simulator, cause i stuck on
ppjoy and spp. I do not have usb dongle.
If you do not have the USB dongle, you do not have Phoenix.

If using ppjoy and spp, then Heli-X, neXt, FMS and Clearview are your options for simulator (or buy Phoenix with a dongle).
Old 01-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

No Blade 350qx2 in those sims.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #97 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora61 View Post
No Blade 350qx2 in those sims.
Unless doing aerobatics with your 350qx2, Heli-X has multi-rotors you can practice with (even the demo version).

If your heart is set on needing to most closely simulate the look of the Blade 350qx2 (rather than just the flying characteristics), then you will need to buy Phoenix (which will also get you the USB cable - and free lifetime updates).

Alternative would be to buy RealFlight (Blade 350 in the Knifeedge forums).
Old 01-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you.
Unfortunately , some lunatics who wrote the Country FAA low, are forbade flying drones in my country..
Bravo to all high educated jerks involved in law.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Phoenix RC 5.5 and Spektrum DX6 G2

I'm new.

Here's the problem.
When I try to set up my DX6 G2 in Heli mode on Phoenix RC 5.5j I can't take off except at 17-20 throttle. Model doesn't matter, (I started with Nano cpx, then tried 450) they fly, but only in 20% throttle range.

BUT, when I set up the Sim with my old reliable, DX5e, the sim responds perfectly.
I have not edited model specs on the sim.

Also, I can't find CCPM adjust on the new DX6

Any thoughts?
ilkheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX6 setup question on Phoenix RC solved

Hi,

Found the answer to my question on this thread.
the Phoenix RC 5 software has 2 choices for Spektrum DX6/6i

One unlabeled, the next says 6X/6Xi(Plane)

Choose the model that says "Plane" . Then everything on the Tx works fine.
ilkheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in