Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Rotor Blades

Rotor Blades R/C Helicopter Rotor Blade Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NIck Maxwell Helix Blades.... Anybody try them?

Trying to get some feedback.....
Gaui x7 14s yge320 072515 (2 min 5 sec)
fastblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No body????
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Re: NIck Maxwell Helix Blades.... Anybody try them?

My best friend just got a set for his G700. Hopefully he'll get to try them out tomorrow.

Sent from my phone
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got mine today, they replaced cyclones on my e700 so thats what I am comparing them to.
They have less raw bite which is nice on my tail.
A bit more pitchy in FFF
Autos aren't as good but acceptable.
No more overspeeding, means efficiency is down.
flight times/mah used seem similar.
flutter less.

The finish is bad, they would be blemish blades from anyone else. pourous holes in the finish, wonky looking weave and dimples in the finish. A little disappointing from the great vblades name, in the looks department.

Overall I like them, they fly good.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i got a pair.

testing today!

also coming from cyclones.

i am with Witchta on the quality. :/
crf69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So do you guys like them better than Cyclones or Edge? Got mine this past week and same thing on the finish... Don't understand how Nick would let that go... It is his name and all..... Well hopefully I'll hear back by Sunday night from you guys... Cause I might test them monday or just might send them back cause of the finish... Unless you guys are wowed by them.. they're going back...
Old 10-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I'm pretty sure, unless they're scratched up, that the finish isn't intended to be glossy or thick gel-coated. Paint, thick clear coat, etc. adds weight.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well i have 2 days and roughly 15 flight on them.

now these i am comparing to cyclones.

they are not as violent as cyclones in the "pop" department.....which is something my heli will greatly appreciate because what i was doing was so violent i am not sure any rc heli in the world could handle.....totally doing full speed pops that rock a 2 mile radius.......it still pops but like 75 percent as loud as cyclones......autos are not as good with Helix but still plenty good.....alireon tic tocs are a little quicker as well as prioflips and other transitionals manueverals LOL......cyclic response is a little quicker but softer than cyclones at the same time???......funnels and hurricanes are nice and smooth and a little more precise over cyclones with less input but again still feels softer???......cyclones are a very rigid blade these are not.....these make a different sound when pushed like coming down from a hard loop they just sound unlike anything ive heard....quite unique. overall quality and finish is not good at all compared to cyclones......i opened the package and looked real closely and was thinkin these may be sketchy to fly......these track like an absolute razor......i did not change a thing on my vbar........overall i would prefer cyclones as of right now because the lack of violent pop (which is due to the lower disk loading which is defineitely a good thing as my equipment will appreciate it) and the fact autos arent as hang-time-ish......and the overall quality. I had to add more headspeed and more pitch .5 degree and kept the same flight times and battery usage so that means these are ultra efficient..... I dont think i will be removing them to get cyclones again but if i crash again anytime soon Cyclones will be on it next. I am always up for something new and sometimes it doesnt always work out....i am going to miss the violent devastating sound of the cyclones. but my heli wont. or will it?....the madness continues....

Sent from my Compass7HV while in an inverted tail-in hurricane.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much for your review! As for the finish.. you have to see it.. I'll post pictures sometime... Yes they did look real sketchy out of the package. One of them had a major visible plug in it with cross marks on it.. different pieces of CF weave used (not one continuous piece) CF weave looked smooshed different places.... First thing I did was put a screw thru both and balance them on a couple of the same glass rims and they, I must say where dead nuts balanced... Never had that perfect before so that's why I went Hmmmmm maybe I should fly these anyways.... So I'm gonna give them a flight on Monday.. me and another really good pilot and I'll let you know what we think... We'll fly them on both of our machines to get a good comparison against Edge Blades...... Thanks.......

P.s. Now I've been reading that alot of guys are turning thier pitch down on the Cyclones cause of the extra lift they are producing.. So you adding just a little pitch is expected... The cyclic response was also expected... From my understanding Cyclones are intended more for Big Air (FFF) .... Thanks again.....
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

its amazing how different the cyclones and Helix are......the gap between them is huge.

they are the best two out there right now in my opinion.

when comparing the rest they are similiar....

these two guys got it going on thats for sure.!

Sent from my Compass7HV while in an inverted tail-in hurricane.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Guys! Nick here. I am very happy to read some feedback on the blades from customers.

I just wanted to get on and first, apologize for the disappointment in the finish. I understand other blades have a much more shiny and I guess you could say "production like" finish.

Not to make any excuses for this - and I PROMISE you Vic has been working his butt off trying to find a way to improve the finish without effecting the flying performance of the blades, and actually is one of his main goals right now (why the blades are in lower/slower arriving quantities) - but to actually achieve the CG for a given total weight and airfoil that I was after, it became simply impossible to add a gelcoat or to paint the molds. I actually even resisted adding any white tip coloring at first to make sure we could get the most stable CG for the least amount of raw weight possible. Luckily Vic was able to find a way to keep the balance the same, for the included tip coloring.

Anyways, what you see on the blades are merely cosmetic. There is absolutely no concern with strength of the blades. What you are seeing are just pinholes in the top layer of the prepreg carbon. The real strength in the blades is actually the unidirectional carbon underneath that pregreg surface. One key point behind Vic's molding design is that the blades are not two parts glued together like almost all other blades, these blades are one part with the carbon wrapped around the leading edge. Making the blades very structurally sound. Also, one thing you will notice, while the blades are more spanwise flexible (purposeful to add some coning to the blades for extra stability), the torsional strength of the blades is very rigid. This is what is reducing the fluttering noise a couple of you have mentioned you aren't hearing. Rather you are hearing more noise off of just the blade traveling through the air rather than being covered up by typical tip noise.

FastBlade, I am very glad to hear the balance was right on. Since these blades are hand made as a single set and not simply matched out of a group, the plug you see is actually a balancing plug. that is where the weight is applied or removed to ensure each set of right on.

Actually, if you don't mind I'd also like to post a couple suggestions to get the most of the Helix on your heli after reading a couple comments. The blades are inherently designed for the best stability possible in high speed flight. For my flying style I love to fly fast and change directions quickly, but at the same time still have a fast cyclic rate for stationary flying.

Braindrain DX. You mentioned these are on a E700 and are getting pitchy in FFF. That really surprises me. One thing just to check, on the E700's control system using say a Vbar or CGY750 to get 8 degrees cyclic as the Vbar wants, or 9-10 degrees cyclic the CGY750 wants does not take much swash deflection. Also, what I have found is on the Vbar specifically on 90 class models it likes more around 10-11 degrees cyclic for the measure screen, which in turn will give you a lot better heading hold power in general. After setting the 10-11 on Vbar or 9-10 on the CGY, then I also go into the swash ring on both systems and completely max out the swash ring until the swash plate shows binding. Once it is binding, simply back off 1-2 points and then you can actually achieve a total of 15.5 degrees cyclic pitch. On the Vbar that is roughly 96 vs.the stock 85, and on the 750 that is 134 vs stock 130. Which give the system a lot of over head cyclic and will solve any pitchy feelings your seeing.

As for autos, I totally agree, with the Helix being a lighter rotor blade, and a closer in spanwise CG the hang time is not going to be there. My goal instead was to have the blade react good DURING the auto, ex- how quickly do they recover during aerobatic autos, blade stops, etc. Thats just one of those "finding a balance" things that for any of the other good qualities had to give up the extra rotational mass for the hang time at the auto landings.

crf69, I'm glad to hear in general you are having good luck with them. As for the noise on pitch stops, I've heard that a lot from guys, they miss the noise. I also felt they were not stopping real hard but a friend of mine and I did a test to see. We took a rotor blade that made a lot of noise and that we assumed were stopping hard, took a video of the pitch stops, then took a video of the Helix pitch stops. Here is what is so funny, with the sound off during the videos, the blades appeared to stop just as hard, actually the Helix a bit faster of a directional change even than the blades we thought were stopping harder. With the sound back on, the blades making more noise went back to appearing they were stoping harder :/... it is really amazing what our visual vs hearing senses do to our impression on something when the two are combined together.

Regarding the softer feel. I noticed this during testing as well. At first I couldn't get why the blades were tracking fine as if the cyclic gain was up high enough, but not showing signs of bouncing on hard cyclic stops like you would typically relate to a high gain. What I've found is compared to the typical gain setting I could take the gains up 15-20 points and get the tight/crisp feel back without causing oscillations even in highspeed flight. Even though the blades feel to track okay at the lower gain, it seems there is a slight buffer zone there to actually adjust the feel that you'd like on the cyclic without effecting the raw heading hold performance.

I hope some of these comments help explain and maybe offer some suggestions to tailor the natural tendencies of the Helix to your flying style and what you would like out of the model.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks!!
Nick
Nick Maxwell Products is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well Nick.. I have to say "Good Job" These where tested by 2 pilots with 2 different flying styles and we both can say we like them better than Edge Blades and we really like Edge.. We flew both pair back to back and then back on a 700X and a X7 (flew both sets on both heli's)... Feels more precise, Crisp Hard Stops....Floats more... Awesome lift characteristics.. Tic-tocs were effortless as well as directional changes... Again... Good Job! You got a winner...........I'll be flying these for now on.........................

Testing Nick Maxwell Helix Blades VS Edge.......... (4 min 46 sec)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I flew these blades on my best friends Goblin 700 the other day. If I needed only one reason to get a 700 size heli, it would be so I could fly Helix blades. I really hope I can land a good paying job soon so I can start saving for a 700.

Sent from my phone
Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very interesting discussion!

I flew my Cyclones for the first time today. After reading this, I may try the Helix in the near future.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
I flew these blades on my best friends Goblin 700 the other day. If I needed only one reason to get a 700 size heli, it would be so I could fly Helix blades. I really hope I can land a good paying job soon so I can start saving for a 700.

Sent from my phone
Hopefully Nick will release a Helix 515mm with 10mm roots to compete with Cyclone 505's so all the Goblin 500, Compass Atom 5.5, Gaui X5, Gaui X4II stretch, Protos 500 stretch, and others can try them out. Any plans Nick? Thanks.
Tachead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I tried these blades twice and I really love them.

Look/appearance/finish :
- Indeed the finish is not on par with other blades on the market. But who cares, the most important thing to me is how they fly.
- I have a suggestion, is it possible to add some more white painting to make it more visible in flight? It would not be too difficult to do, the color scheme is the only reason I would miss my radix V2.
- Even though the finish is not on top, the shape of the blade is awsome and i love to look at the tip of the blades, it is unique and stands for a really good craftmanship.

Now in flight.
First time I tried them, I loved them. At first I did tic tocs, they were easy, then pirouetting flips, pirouetting loops, reversals, pirouetting tictocs etc. Every pirouetting move was easy. The reason is the cyclic is fast easy and regular. Then i did som Fast flight, and it wast also very good. They track well, but it is at tims a bit pitchy. Al in for my style of flight, where i do very technical stuff, these blades are my favorite.

The sound:
These are the most quite blades I ever tried. With these blades, I must change the way I pilot my heli, I cannot rely on my ears as much as with other blades. When i want to make the blades fart, it is more difficult to obtain a noise, these blades are really quite, I must confess i would prefer more noise, but all in all I am able to bear silent blades if they are easier and I have a better control with them.

Availability:
Unfortunately they are not available in France so I will need to go back to radix blades the first time I crash
pitounet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where do you buy these ?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskiken View Post
Where do you buy these ?
http://www.experiencerc.com/store/he...5-p-15850.html

Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. I was hoping to get a set to test myself.
kumar2494 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought they made 715 mm ?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskiken View Post
I thought they made 715 mm ?
They make 695mm and 715mm blades
kumar2494 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.